Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:40:59 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop by our pool give us feed back  (Read 3609 times)
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 05:33:25 PM

Good info! how do you compare the earnings vs other pools will our guys mining see a better return mining the p2pool?
Ahh... the penultimate question that everyone asks, "How does p2pool stack up against others?"

Too bad there really is no way to answer it definitively.  I can share my experience with it.  I can show you threads that compare p2pool to other pools - but each is subjective.

My personal experience with p2pool has been extremely positive.  I have made far more mining on p2pool than expectations show I should have.  I think the biggest thing you and your miners need to understand when they decide to make the jump to p2pool is that you absolutely MUST have patience.  P2Pool miners go through cold spells and hot spells.  You might get lucky and find more than the expected number of shares on the chain, and then p2pool might find more than the expected number of blocks, leading you to make far more in a day than you reasonably should.  The converse is also true.  You might find fewer than expected shares and p2pool finds fewer than expected blocks, leaving you with far less than you should have made.  Variance is far more prevalent with p2pool for your average miner.  If you've got ADHD or freak out because you were supposed to make 0.00234147BTC a day, but only made 0.00234146BTC then p2pool is not for you.

One of the biggest draws for me was the fact that I do not have to rely upon some pool operator and whether or not that operator is out to scam me and the rest of the miners.  I don't have to worry about fancy payout systems, setting payout thresholds, any of it.  When a block is found, if I have shares on the chain, I get paid.  Period.  There are no late payments, missed payouts, complaints to tech support and opening a ticket.  Nothing.  Got a share?  Get paid for it.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:06:13 PM

Good info! how do you compare the earnings vs other pools will our guys mining see a better return mining the p2pool?
Ahh... the penultimate question that everyone asks, "How does p2pool stack up against others?"

Too bad there really is no way to answer it definitively.  I can share my experience with it.  I can show you threads that compare p2pool to other pools - but each is subjective.

My personal experience with p2pool has been extremely positive.  I have made far more mining on p2pool than expectations show I should have.  I think the biggest thing you and your miners need to understand when they decide to make the jump to p2pool is that you absolutely MUST have patience.  P2Pool miners go through cold spells and hot spells.  You might get lucky and find more than the expected number of shares on the chain, and then p2pool might find more than the expected number of blocks, leading you to make far more in a day than you reasonably should.  The converse is also true.  You might find fewer than expected shares and p2pool finds fewer than expected blocks, leaving you with far less than you should have made.  Variance is far more prevalent with p2pool for your average miner.  If you've got ADHD or freak out because you were supposed to make 0.00234147BTC a day, but only made 0.00234146BTC then p2pool is not for you.

One of the biggest draws for me was the fact that I do not have to rely upon some pool operator and whether or not that operator is out to scam me and the rest of the miners.  I don't have to worry about fancy payout systems, setting payout thresholds, any of it.  When a block is found, if I have shares on the chain, I get paid.  Period.  There are no late payments, missed payouts, complaints to tech support and opening a ticket.  Nothing.  Got a share?  Get paid for it.

Interesting thanks for explaining it further.
ChicagoCryptocurrency (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:26:13 PM

Well now........... we might have an interesting week then = 0 lol
Thanks for the detailed information.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 08:06:32 PM

Just took a quick look at your site... I like the color scheme you chose.  Too bad the two shares you found were both orphaned.  Also, you're very generous to offer 1% donation to the p2pool author (forrestv).  Most people don't bother to provide anything at all.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:12:50 PM

Just took a quick look at your site... I like the color scheme you chose.  Too bad the two shares you found were both orphaned.  Also, you're very generous to offer 1% donation to the p2pool author (forrestv).  Most people don't bother to provide anything at all.

Where How do you see the two shares are orphaned? When I look they look good? Thanks

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 09:57:56 PM

Thanks! i have been working on making it as easy to navigate as possible.
the donation to creator is the least we can do after all his work and Hours of coding and learning the network side of the bitcoin framework.

aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 10:43:22 AM

Last night I had 2 S5's and the 1 S3 on your pool for a  while and it all seemed to work good, but it did take about 20 mins for the second S5 to get up to a normal speed. Now that I moved both S5's off it looks like the pool speed should be @2.5Th as it did before I added those 2 miners but your graph on the top of the page is only showing @1.5TH?

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:27:39 PM

i seen that! also let me know if they are sending out pay! i got one this morning

aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:44:27 PM

i seen that! also let me know if they are sending out pay! i got one this morning

I just moved both S5's back a little while ago. As far as pay I have not seen anything?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 04:09:23 PM

I just moved both S5's back a little while ago. As far as pay I have not seen anything?
You will only see a payment if you had a share on the chain when the block was found.  Looking at the stats page, I can see only 1 of the 4 miners on the node that has a share.

aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:26:17 PM

You will only see a payment if you had a share on the chain when the block was found.  Looking at the stats page, I can see only 1 of the 4 miners on the node that has a share.

And I thought Slush's pool payout was confusing! 😜
aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:46:05 PM

Looks like a share was just found but it shows as a orphan  Undecided

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:53:26 PM

i'm pulling my hairs ---------------------------- lol i see we got a other person Welcome aboard our wild ride on the all new P2Pool RollerCoaster!

the miners are doing wonderful in terms of DOA very low..
i guess that should be a positive?

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:57:07 PM

i just learned something the more Miners we have the faster the time to share is.. when we had them all on it said 1h now that a few disconnected it says 5h cool.. nice to know

aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:58:57 PM

i just learned something the more Miners we have the faster the time to share is.. when we had them all on it said 1h now that a few disconnected it says 5h cool.. nice to know

That was my two S5 going back to back up pools. Having a hard time figuring out just what they are doing. Let me go bring them back. I also notice someone new
aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:05:20 PM

My 2 S5's are back so share time should drop back down.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 07:10:26 PM

The node takes into account all miners to calculate the time to share.  The more miners you have, the more hash rate you have and the quicker a share is expected to be found.  It's kind of a misleading stat for an individual miner, since it is based on the entire node's hash rate.  Just like you can calculate your expected earnings of BTC per day for a given hash rate and difficulty, you can do the same thing to determine how long it should take you as a miner to find a share in p2pool.  The formula can be simplified to this:
Code:
Share Difficulty * 2^32 / hash rate = time to find a share in seconds

Let's look at an example for a 1TH/s miner using the current share difficulty of 6500000:
Code:
6500000 * 2^32 / 1000000000000 = 27917.29
So, a 1TH/s miner would expect to find a share every 7.75 hours at a share difficulty of 6.5 million.

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:14:11 PM

got it.. but how come only one miner shows shares? that has me worried i don't like feeling like everyone is getting cheated or something..

at the moment that's how it feels with only one miner showing shares

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 07:25:57 PM

got it.. but how come only one miner shows shares? that has me worried i don't like feeling like everyone is getting cheated or something..

at the moment that's how it feels with only one miner showing shares
Because that miner is the only one who's got a share that was accepted onto the share chain.  Remember, p2pool is not like your typical pool where every little share you submit counts.  The only shares that p2pool cares about are ones that are of a high enough difficulty to be added to the share chain and/or solve a block of BTC.

I've got a S3 that has been mining for a few days now without finding a share... so when the last block was found, it didn't get a payout.  It happens.  It's the variance inherent in the system.

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:30:29 PM

i see wow. well then i must say i was close to changing the pool to CoiniumServ but i will hold off and see this through.

Thanks Jonny !

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: