Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:52:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop limit  (Read 1233 times)
blingow (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 04:54:59 AM

I am using bitstamp for trading. And I am facing a problem. When I make an limit order to sell on if the rate reach a certain level. Then I can't make a limit to sell when the rate falls and reach a certain level.

I will give an example. Yesterday the rate was 280 $ and I bought some coins. I made a limit to sell when the price would reach 284 $. I also want to make a limit to sell when it reach 275 $. But I can't do that on bitstamp. So when I went for lunch and come back price had dropped to 250 $. If I would have been allowed to make the stop limit I wouldn't loose as much as I did now.

Is this the same on the other exchanges or only on bitstamp ? How are you solving this issue ? I think it's important to put an stop limit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blingow (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 06:33:12 AM

Thanks.

What do I need to do to install it ? If we say that I use bitstamp ?
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 06:49:31 AM

I am using bitstamp for trading. And I am facing a problem. When I make an limit order to sell on if the rate reach a certain level. Then I can't make a limit to sell when the rate falls and reach a certain level.

I will give an example. Yesterday the rate was 280 $ and I bought some coins. I made a limit to sell when the price would reach 284 $. I also want to make a limit to sell when it reach 275 $. But I can't do that on bitstamp. So when I went for lunch and come back price had dropped to 250 $. If I would have been allowed to make the stop limit I wouldn't loose as much as I did now.

Is this the same on the other exchanges or only on bitstamp ? How are you solving this issue ? I think it's important to put an stop limit.

But why would you want to do that (placing a stop-loss at higher price than buy price - at 284?)
What you normally do in case of a stop-loss order is specify the bottom, not top.

For example if you bought at $280, you would make yourself insured by placing a stop-loss order at $270, specifying a $10 "buffer" over current price.
Now if the price falls by $10, your order would sell, stopping you from making further loss.
But if the price rises to $320, your sell order will automatically adjust itself at $310, honoring the $10 buffer.
GÜNther.Danish

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 06:59:28 AM

only bitstamp.

at least lakebtc and btc-e are not this problem
blingow (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 07:06:28 AM

But why would you want to do that (placing a stop-loss at higher price than buy price - at 284?)
What you normally do in case of a stop-loss order is specify the bottom, not top.

For example if you bought at $280, you would make yourself insured by placing a stop-loss order at $270, specifying a $10 "buffer" over current price.
Now if the price falls by $10, your order would sell, stopping you from making further loss.
But if the price rises to $320, your sell order will automatically adjust itself at $310, honoring the $10 buffer.

Bitstamp have two type of orders.

1. Limit order
2. Stop order

I bought the coins at 280 $ , and made an limit order at 284 $. So I sell them at 284 $ and earn 4 $ profit

I wanted to make an stop order on 270 $ so if the price falls to 270 $ I want to sell. But I couldn't do that. When I asked bitstamp why , they said because the coins are locked in the first order there I made an limit order on 284 $.

How is your suggestion to do ?
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 07:11:23 AM

Bitstamp have two type of orders.

1. Limit order
2. Stop order

I bought the coins at 280 $ , and made an limit order at 284 $. So I sell them at 284 $ and earn 4 $ profit

I wanted to make an stop order on 270 $ so if the price falls to 270 $ I want to sell. But I couldn't do that. When I asked bitstamp why , they said because the coins are locked in the first order there I made an limit order on 284 $.

How is your suggestion to do ?

I would suggest to only one order: create a stop order at $270. While creating it, specify a buffer of $10.
So if price falls to $270, your coins will sell. If price goes up, your order will adjust itself at $10 below new price. This is more desirable than placing a limit order at $284.
blingow (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 07:23:01 AM

Your solution is perfect, but are you sure that you can do it on bitstamp ? I don't find that option.
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 07:27:53 AM

Your solution is perfect, but are you sure that you can do it on bitstamp ? I don't find that option.

This is directly from BitStamp:

Notice the 'trailing stop'? It will adjust itself if price rises.

blingow (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 08:15:43 AM

Thanks!

If we say the price is now 280 $ , and I choose “Sell price falls to “ and write 270 $ and tick the “trailing stop “. What will happen here ? I think my coins will be sold if the rate reach 270 $ . Correct ?

But if also want to sell if the price reach 290 $ so I can cash the profit. How can I do that ?
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 08:24:17 AM

If we say the price is now 280 $ , and I choose “Sell price falls to “ and write 270 $ and tick the “trailing stop “. What will happen here ? I think my coins will be sold if the rate reach 270 $ . Correct ?

Correct.

But if also want to sell if the price reach 290 $ so I can cash the profit. How can I do that ?

If price reaches $290, your trailing sell order will adjust itself at $280. Now if you want to immediately sell, you can login, cancel the stop order and place a limit order at $290 which will execute immediately.
blingow (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 08:56:50 AM

That's the problem. I need to have access to the computer in order to do that.

I don't understand why they don't also make an option so we can choose that the coins to be sold 280 $. Then I could cash the profit without having access to the computer.

Will this scrypt solve my problem or not ? https://cryptotrader.org/backtests/kiAQxbik8ps7kBjn5
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 09:02:38 AM

I don't understand why they don't also make an option so we can choose that the coins to be sold 280 $. Then I could cash the profit without having access to the computer.

Once your stop order is already adjusted on $280, it will automatically sell if price drops to $280. You don't need to do a thing.
You only need to manually sell if you certainly believe that the price will go down from $290 to $280, and you want to sell at $290 without waiting for this to happen.

No idea about the script, I've never used any.
blingow (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 09:09:09 AM

Thanks for explanation.

If I understand this correct " Once your stop order is already adjusted on $280 " . You mean that I need to go in and adjust it from 270 to 280 $ ?
xeqtr

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:19:02 AM

Thanks.

What do I need to do to install it ? If we say that I use bitstamp ?

No software installation is needed, as the bots are running in the cloud.

I dont understand how i can use it...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: