Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:54:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: #bitcoin IRC log: A pirate leads a flock of sheep over a cliff.  (Read 10275 times)
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:32:50 AM

I think I would have rather settled with the new money coming into bitcoin.  There was no vapour this time just growth and the market is more mature.  I think lots of other larger actors would have started dumping post $10.  This was just Pirate trying to protect his HYIP.  Yes I would prefer steady growth but not at the cost of market manipulation.

Pirate is one person acting on behalf of, and in conjunction with numerous others. For your claim of manipulation, everyone invested with Pirate is complicit. If other large players would've dumped above $10, would you claim they're manipulative as well? And if others were to drive the price down, it would help Pirate, not harm FPS&T.

Yup. Greed, pure and simple.

Greed would've been letting a bubble form, then slamming the price down another 90% like the drop from the 2011 peak.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 04:40:19 AM

Yup. Greed, pure and simple.
Greed would've been letting a bubble form, then slamming the price down another 90% like the drop from the 2011 peak.

I was speaking of the people who trust Pirate, not Pirate's motivations. As to his motivations, I think he had the ability to troll a still very volatile market, and used it for the lulz.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 03:27:10 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2012, 03:43:00 PM by matthewh3

Pirate is one person acting on behalf of, and in conjunction with numerous others. For your claim of manipulation, everyone invested with Pirate is complicit. If other large players would've dumped above $10, would you claim they're manipulative as well? And if others were to drive the price down, it would help Pirate, not harm FPS&T.

If you are customer of a bank that committed a fraud then your not complicit to that fraud.  People can sell large amounts of coins whenever they want but not do so in a way of trying to manipulate the market by telling other regular traders you are going to lower the price and encouraging them to sell also.

Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 03:32:38 PM

If what Pirate said in that log that he can bring the price down to 1$ is true, then that means he has about 300,000 BTC at his disposal.

At 6% interest this would mean he needs to buy 18,000 BTC per week, or about 2500 BTC per day.

That's a signficant portion of the newly created coins per day.

If it carries on like this that alone will drive the price up.

cjgames.com
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:41:58 PM

If what Pirate said in that log that he can bring the price down to 1$ is true, then that means he has about 300,000 BTC at his disposal.

At 6% interest this would mean he needs to buy 18,000 BTC per week, or about 2500 BTC per day.

Not if you buy it not on an exchange.
I think most trades does actually not happen on any exchange, and thus have no influence on the price.

Mageant
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 03:44:20 PM

I think most trades does actually not happen on any exchange, and thus have no influence on the price.

Where can you buy 18k BTC per week outside of the major exchanges?

cjgames.com
aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:47:34 PM

OTC, maybe long time contracts with miners, early adopters, Satoshi Cheesy
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:47:42 PM

from Pirate..

Are there others? I sell on average a few hundred per week off exchange, so would assume others do as well. 18k+ though? *shrugs*

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Mageant
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 03:59:52 PM

I just realized that if Pirate's BTC pool continues to grow by a modest 4% per week he'll have gathered all the available BTC (about 11 million) within about two years from now.

Cool.

Grin

cjgames.com
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 07:13:43 PM

I was speaking of the people who trust Pirate, not Pirate's motivations. As to his motivations, I think he had the ability to troll a still very volatile market, and used it for the lulz.

Fair enough. The lulz were probably a secondary benefit. Note how he said he wanted to make a point - broadcasting his moves with a small lead time would've allowed some major profit to be taken, and publicly warning to stop buying should've also resulted in at least a slowing of bids. Instead, strong buying continued.

The point Pirate made was that the Bitcoin market is much larger than the vocal minority suspects, and if that majority were to continue unabated, another confidence-destroying bubble would've formed. To conclude: without Pirate and other highly capitalized participants acting as a brake on speculative appreciation, the Bitcoin system would quickly become wildly unstable to a point where it is unusable for any but gamblers; not conducive to longevity.

Keep in mind that I am not advocating blind, wholesale trust in Pirate - it is just as important to regularly question the course he's charted. Eternal vigilance...

If you are customer of a bank that committed a fraud then your not complicit to that fraud.  People can sell large amounts of coins whenever they want but not do so in a way of trying to manipulate the market by telling other regular traders you are going to lower the price and encouraging them to sell also.

Very true. At the same time, I have a lot of difficulty believing any court would absolve such a small cadre of participants from responsibility. This is not your traditional financial institution with thousands of clients. How many are involved? Maybe a couple of hundred at most? With that small of a group which is part of such a tightly-knit community, it would be nearly impossible to prove that any are at more than arm's length from the operation.

I just realized that if Pirate's BTC pool continues to grow by a modest 4% per week he'll have gathered all the available BTC (about 11 million) within about two years from now.

Yyyyyup! It can last quite a while, but interest rates will decline over the duration. The more the Bitcoin economy grows, the harder it will be to keep acquiring a high percentage of the supply. Enjoy it while it's here!

For those whom are still unbelievers: there are two active, opposing flows at all times. Managing a large fund is not manipulation, but navigation. Yes, the magnitude of the fund may cause disruption from time to time, but if run responsibly, it can have a highly positive effect.

In this video, the building could be seen as representing the entire Bitcoin economy, and the counter-balancing damper as FPS&T. And remember: BS&T is a group effort composed of multiple individuals' assets, not just Pirate's - he just directs/steers it.
Mageant
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 07:53:15 AM

I wanted to add the Pirate's worrying about the Bitcoin price in USD and trying to manipulate it is an indicator that he is not running a ponzi.

If he were running a ponzi the Bitcoin price in any fiat currency would be irrelevant to his operation. It would be just bitcoins in (deposits) and bitcoins out (withdrawals and interest). There would be no need to change into fiat.

If anything Pirate should welcome a high price. He could cash out more then of his percentage he would be taking out of the scheme. So by driving the price down he would actually be diminishing his profits.

cjgames.com
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:59:00 AM

I wanted to add the Pirate's worrying about the Bitcoin price in USD and trying to manipulate it is an indicator that he is not running a ponzi.

If he were running a ponzi the Bitcoin price in any fiat currency would be irrelevant to his operation. It would be just bitcoins in (deposits) and bitcoins out (withdrawals and interest). There would be no need to change into fiat.

If anything Pirate should welcome a high price. He could cash out more then of his percentage he would be taking out of the scheme. So by driving the price down he would actually be diminishing his profits.

That all depends. The price could always go down and he scoops up cheap coins and sells them when price rises....

Not all about going up in terms of profit. Sometimes the price needs to go down for one to enter a market and make a profit.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 08:01:54 AM

It doesn't matter, you still drive up the price because you keep those coins from going to market. Even if you find some coins that would never sell at market but will sell to you the person they'd be selling to otherwise now has to go to market. Even if that person refuses to go to market they now either gobble up some coins that would have gone to market or they push some other person who cares less into the market. It isn't clear, but it's all connected. Demand is demand.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:05:35 AM

It doesn't matter, you still drive up the price because you keep those coins from going to market. Even if you find some coins that would never sell at market but will sell to you the person they'd be selling to otherwise now has to go to market. Even if that person refuses to go to market they now either gobble up some coins that would have gone to market or they push some other person who cares less into the market. It isn't clear, but it's all connected. Demand is demand.

Miners dont have to go anywhere but to the bitcoin client. Not all OTC bitcoins come from exchanges.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Blind

Activity: 235

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:56:53 PM

What if it was a PR stunt designed to make you to come to this conclusion?

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: