Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:00:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Need help] Setup Reaper (GPU) miner on my laptop  (Read 3868 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 06:04:37 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2012, 07:19:53 PM by film2240

Hi guys,this is like my other thread '[Need help] Setup reaper (gpu) miner for my main PC' but since I'm having a rather hard time with reaper on both my systems and both computers have completely different hardware/system config,I've had to make another thread dedicated to my laptop to keep things on track in my other thread.

Issues are:
1.Reaper v13 beta 4 Keeps freezing after spending a ridiculous amount of time waiting for it's  'compiling'.Well after 2 mins and no CPU/HDD intensive processes were ever run during that time.
2.What's the idea setup for an Nvidia GT330M GPU for the config files? Has 48 shaders.
3.What setup is most likely to be trouble free on my MBP when booted in win 7? That'll just work.
4.Reaper constantly uses up all my ram (RAM use went from 955Mb to 8GB,then crashing my MBP due to RAM running out,despite having a swap and using readyboost as well)

I'm losing valuable time to the other GPU LTC miners because of these damn faults and crashes and I'm losing out.
If someone can reach the creator of reaper,please tell them to reach me asap as I need them to code either a workaround or release a less buggy version.
I intend to get as many of my systems mining LTC as possible including Desktop PC (with HD6950),MacBook Pro,N900 phone (once the coder I spoke to gets it out for maemo 5 after he finishes coding it for android and can be bothered to give me download link for its installer)

Any help would be appreciated thanks. Smiley

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 09:48:26 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2012, 10:05:06 PM by film2240

Update-Thanks to someone (whos name I forget) on the Litecoin IRC channel on free node I think.I managed to get Reaper running.

Then these things happened:
1.laptop kept crashing and BSOD kept occuring. STOP 0x00000116 with nviddmkm.sys file I think.This happened after updating to the latest drivers for my video card. I reduced aggression from 21 default to 10 in the config.Fixed this issue.
2.I'm now getting lots of stales after starting GPU mining LTC.I need help in solving this. Since fixing the BSOd issues.
3.Nvidia GT330M GPU performs much slower than my laptops CPU and produces nothing but stales whereas my CPU produces nothing but good shares.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 10:23:45 PM

Try aggression 18 or 19 for hashing speed.

Try increasing number of threads-per-gpu to 4.  This might help with stales.  I average about 3% stale.  Higher than I'd like, but it's about the lowest I can seem to get.

Try worksize 128 instead of 256 if you haven't already.  Not sure if this will help or not for your gpu.

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 10:46:19 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2012, 07:16:35 PM by film2240

Try increasing number of threads-per-gpu to 4.  This might help with stales.  I average about 3% stale.  Higher than I'd like, but it's about the lowest I can seem to get.

Try worksize 128 instead of 256 if you haven't already.  Not sure if this will help or not for your gpu.

I've tested the worksize of 128/256 and no difference.Only thing is increasing no of threads per GPU to 4 boosted performance.Aggression I'll have to test next time I'm back in win 7 on my MBP as I'm booted normally at the moment.Due to the unfavourable conditions I experienced on my MBP while in Win 7 I'll consider wrapping things up if I see no improvement in the setup by the end of this week. Aggression I have to really careful with because of the BSOD issue caused by having it too high before.It seems to me that anything above maybe 15,will put me back in square one. All things you mentioned are worth a shot though.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:52:19 AM

Try increasing number of threads-per-gpu to 4.  This might help with stales.  I average about 3% stale.  Higher than I'd like, but it's about the lowest I can seem to get.

Try worksize 128 instead of 256 if you haven't already.  Not sure if this will help or not for your gpu.

I've tested the worksize of 128/256 and no difference.Only thing is increasing no of threads er GPU to 4 boosted performance.Aggression I'll have to test next time I'm back in win 7 on my MBP as I'm booted normally at the moment.Due to the unfavourable conditions I experienced on my MBP while in Win 7 I'll consider wrapping things up if I see no improvement in the setup by the end of this week. Aggression I have to really careful with because of the BSOD issue caused by having it too high before.It seems to me that anything above maybe 15,will put me back in square one. All things you mentioned are worth a shot though.

I'm using Win 7 too.

If I recall, I was getting like 50 m/hash with my 5870 at aggression 10.  Switching it to 19 gave me like 395 m/hash lol
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 07:19:39 PM

Wow simply raising the aggression by 4 really boosts the hashrates.Did you mean k/hash rather than m/hash for LTC as that was a little confusing? If there's already a miner that can perform in the MHash/s range then please ignore my previous comment.

Thanks for all the help the joint Smiley

I've decided that no good can come out of gpup mining LTC on my laptop so I'm drawing this setup to a close as the CPU oddly out performs the GPU.

I'll be locking the thread now as all my queries have been answered and resolved to my satisfaction. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: