Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:07:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon Sues for Right to be Your Internet Editor  (Read 824 times)
check_status (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:04:15 AM

Last week, Verizon filed a brief with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit laying out their various and sundry complaints against the Federal Communications Commission's Open Internet Order, which put net neutrality regulations in place for Internet service providers. The telecom giant is suing to have the FCC's order thrown out, and one of their legal arguments is raising more than a few eyebrows. Verizon, per the court document, considers itself your Internet editor. Or your Internet editor-in-waiting.

It goes like this: the Open Internet Order says that Verizon, as a provider of broadband Internet, can't block or slow access to (legal) online content because they disagree with its message or are being paid by an outside party to do so. This is essentially how the internet has operated since its inception, and the Open Internet Order is intended to prevent ISPs like Verizon from becoming gatekeepers. Verizon, however, argues that it has the constitutionally protected right to decide which content you, as a Verizon customer, can access -- that it is no different from a newspaper editor.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/07/09/verizon-wants-the-freedom-to-edit-your-internet/187003

WTF! Do we live under some communist regime?

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 09:55:11 AM

Yes. Imagine, the nerve of the government, trying to tell Verizon what it can and cannot serve over it's pipes... Sheesh.

Seriously, though, If Verizon wants to edit what they show, I say let 'em. I'll be using another network, though.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:56:02 AM

I can't even wrap my head around their argument.  It sounds like "in order to protect your free speech we must censor it".  It also sounds very much like they want to be allowed to accept payment for blocking access to certain types of content (file sharing anyone?).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the US.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:19:45 PM

I'll be using another network, though.

Which other network?  The cable company which is going to follow in lockstep?

NCTA v. Brand X, combined with the FCC being "fair" neatly hamstrung any sort of real competitive market in ISPs.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:40:15 PM

Yes. Imagine, the nerve of the government, trying to tell Verizon what it can and cannot serve over it's pipes... Sheesh.

Seriously, though, If Verizon wants to edit what they show, I say let 'em. I'll be using another network, though.
Boy, this issue will have the general political direction of this forum split Tongue.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:15:37 PM

Fortunately we have a free market. That means I can decide to never be a Verizon customer. In fact I would not even conciser "edited" content.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 03:26:48 PM

I think you guys would be singing a completely different tune if all the cable companies (which are usually local monopolies) were arguing the same thing.

Don't use BIPS!
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 05:19:23 PM

I think you guys would be singing a completely different tune if all the cable companies (which are usually local monopolies) were arguing the same thing.

No, same tune, different lyrics. We'd be arguing to remove the monopolies, instead.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:14:28 AM

Sure.  Verizon can start paying me, as a citizen, the rate I want for the right-of-ways where there infrastructure lays.  And they can start paying me for the intellectual property rights to the technology which originated from a DARPA project (read, my tax dollars.)  Then they can act as shitty and totalitarian as they like with 'their' infrastructure.

Interestingly it was not that long ago that the CEO of Verizon (I think it was) actually got prosecuted by the justice department for supposed financial reasons.  The funny thing about it is that he was about the only one over the last decade.  Some suppose that it may have had something to do with Verizon having the audacity to ask for subpoena before allowing our intelligence services troll in the oceans of their customer's data.  AT&T and the rest had no compunction about doing so, and were subsequently granted retro-active blanket immunity for their crimes (presumably if they agreed to commit such crimes on demand going forward.)  I figure that Verizon would fall into place...if not jump out in front.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: