Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:55:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid mistake....  (Read 663 times)
ImJello (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:29:45 AM

Cry I can't believe i did this, sadly i forgot the password to my Torwallet(I'm suspecting i typed the wrong password as opposed to forgot but it doesn't really matter)
Am i screwed? Do you think there is anyway for me to get my coin back? I've already tried contacting support i'm just hoping to be reassured my situation won't end badly. Although i can't imagine it going that way...any comments?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:36:45 AM

If you are lucky you can guess at some likely ways you might have typed the wrong password and figure it out eventually.  If you can get access without remembering or figuring out the password, then I wouldn't trust TORwallet in the first place.
ImJello (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:39:10 AM

If you are lucky you can guess at some likely ways you might have typed the wrong password and figure it out eventually.  If you can get access without remembering or figuring out the password, then I wouldn't trust TORwallet in the first place.
I have no hope getting them back, even with supports help? I've tried guessing everything but i think i must've hit a wrong key while typing it because nothing is working Cry
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:48:26 AM

Ask to be sent the encrypted keys and brute force it with all the possible mistakes and lengths
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:49:53 AM

I have no hope getting them back, even with supports help?
Lets pretend for a moment that you didn't forget your password.  Lets also pretend for a moment that you have a significant amount of bitcoin stored there (100 BTC).  Would you want me to be able to contact support, pretend to be you, claim that I forgot my password, and have them give me access to your account so I could steal it?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:51:45 AM

As MaxSan says, brute force attempts to figure out how you mis-typed it are probably your best chance.  If support does get you access without your password, please let us know here, because I'd like to know if their service isn't trust-worthy.
ImJello (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 01:00:29 AM

I have no hope getting them back, even with supports help?
Lets pretend for a moment that you didn't forget your password.  Lets also pretend for a moment that you have a significant amount of bitcoin stored there (100 BTC).  Would you want me to be able to contact support, pretend to be you, claim that I forgot my password, and have them give me access to your account so I could steal it?
I understand that, i was hoping i could somehow prove it was me.... Huh How would i go about using brute force? I don't think it would be very efficient though as my password is 21 characters. The only thing i thought that might be possible would be for me to mix the coins until gone, (pretty dumb that you're able to mix coins without password but w/e) I'm really frustrated with myself about this whole situation i can't believe i made such a stupid mistake.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 01:13:48 AM

You believe the password to be 21 characters long.  If you are lucky, you only mis-typed a single character.  So there are approximately 47 keys on the keyboard that you might have hit accidentally.  Start with the first character in your password and try each of the 47 keys in place of that character. If none of those work, move on to the second character, and so on.  That could require entering 987 different passwords to try to find the right one.

Keep in mind that it is more likely that you hit a key near the proper one than one farther away, so perhaps improve your odds by trying the 6 nearest possibilities on the keyboard for each character before going back and trying others.

If you use mixed case or punctuation, also consider the possibility that you pressed the shift key a moment too soon or released it a moment too late.  Try capitalizing the character before or after each capital letter or punctuation.  If you have enough bitcoin in there, it will be worth the effort of attempting a few thousand passwords.  You don't even have to try them all at once, as long as you keep track of where you left off and what you need to try yet.

If you don't have enough coins in there to make it worth the attempt, then consider it a lesson paid for about the importance of being careful with your passwords.  Probably a more valuable lesson than you ever got in any class.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: