Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:54:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITSTAMP LOST 1.5 BTC TODAY  (Read 1471 times)
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:57:14 PM

How I can take back my 1.5 btc from bitstamp?Huh?.

you should pay attention to news, be gratefull only 1.5 btc and not more

so compassionate ,arent you ? Smiley
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:14:14 PM

What bitstamp needs to do is find all possible ways to alert customers to not use old address. Simple notification on the website is not enough, because a lot of people don't actually read these.

They also emailed everyone. If you don't read emails from your exchange, you don't have much ground to complain. Do you expect some bitstamp representative to stop by your house and hold your hands?

It would help if they block you from logging in until you checkmark a box to confirm you read the alert before allowing you to log in.

That wouldn't help. You can still send bitcoins to old addresses without ever logging in.

Buy & Hold
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:28:15 PM

after bitstamp hack they posted a message about not to deposit bitcoins to old address and generate new address for deposit
so if you deposit money to old bitstamp deposit address then its possible that it is controlled by someone else not bitstamp
bitcoin1992

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:36:47 AM

I'm sorry to hear this . I am worried to use bitstamp also but I do not know of any other way to have my $$ readily available to buy bitcoins when they drop
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:54:43 AM

This is unfortunate, but not unexpected. In another thread someone had sent BTC to Bitstamp just after the email was sent out and the general sentiment was that Bitstamp should honor it. I asked how long their responsibility should continue. It's completely unreasonable to expect Bitstamp to honor a deposit to a hacked address a year or more after the event, but where does that window close?

It's now been three weeks since the hack. They emailed their customers, shut down the website, posted big splash screen, posted on twitter, etc. It was not only all over Bitcointalk, reddit, etc, but it was on CNN, BBC News, CBS/NBC/Fox, etc. I had a retiree who can barely turn access his email if the mail icon gets moved on his desktop mention to me that the Bitcoin exchange got hacked for $5M because he knew I was into those Bitcoins. At this point, I would say it's probably on you if you sent a few hundred dollars in anonymous unrecoverable internet money to a company without doublechecking the address is still current after it was worldwide news that their headquarters burned down. Tongue
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 8171

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:11:34 AM

This is unfortunate, but not unexpected. In another thread someone had sent BTC to Bitstamp just after the email was sent out and the general sentiment was that Bitstamp should honor it. I asked how long their responsibility should continue. It's completely unreasonable to expect Bitstamp to honor a deposit to a hacked address a year or more after the event, but where does that window close?

It's now been three weeks since the hack. They emailed their customers, shut down the website, posted big splash screen, posted on twitter, etc. It was not only all over Bitcointalk, reddit, etc, but it was on CNN, BBC News, CBS/NBC/Fox, etc. I had a retiree who can barely turn access his email if the mail icon gets moved on his desktop mention to me that the Bitcoin exchange got hacked for $5M because he knew I was into those Bitcoins. At this point, I would say it's probably on you if you sent a few hundred dollars in anonymous unrecoverable internet money to a company without doublechecking the address is still current after it was worldwide news that their headquarters burned down. Tongue

MrTeal, your comments are insensitive and moot.  Obviously Jelin1984 didn't know.

Jelin - are the coins still at the address you sent to?  Bitstamp only lost coins not private keys and you can't change the private keys so they still have control over those addresses (albeit shared); it's simply a matter of who is faster at moving them.  Bitstamp could have easily monitored those addresses and returned any coins sent to them.  Why they chose not to should be a matter of concern for anyone doing business with them. 

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:27:28 AM

I'm sorry to hear this . I am worried to use bitstamp also but I do not know of any other way to have my $$ readily available to buy bitcoins when they drop

No site is 100% hackproof, so what's important is how well a site deals with issues. Bitstamp handled this hack pretty well, so I would still continue to use them.

Buy & Hold
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:48:19 AM

MrTeal, your comments are insensitive and moot.  Obviously Jelin1984 didn't know.

Jelin - are the coins still at the address you sent to?  Bitstamp only lost coins not private keys and you can't change the private keys so they still have control over those addresses (albeit shared); it's simply a matter of who is faster at moving them.  Bitstamp could have easily monitored those addresses and returned any coins sent to them.  Why they chose not to should be a matter of concern for anyone doing business with them. 
It might be insensitive, but it's not moot. Jelin is contending that Bitstamp owes him BTC1.5. I might have agreed in the days after the hack, and do still sympathize now a few weeks after the hack, though I don't agree. I'm not sure Bitstamp has done everything it could to alert customers, but it has done due diligence to alert their customers about the issue. I would say it should have sent a mailed letter to every registered customer, and could have continued to send out an email reminder every few days until you click unsubscribe or log into the site to acknowledge it, but what they've done is better than the vast majority of Bitcoin sites.

I am also a little surprised if Bitstamp isn't trying to sweep the coins into their addresses. At this point, how much new coin is going into the old keys? You don't seen many cases on here anymore.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: