Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 02:26:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxes and bitcoins  (Read 1146 times)
dlc1962 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 05:50:38 PM

What is the situation as far as US taxes go for bitcoins?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 05:53:08 PM

Best answer is ask a CPA in your area.  I have heard it both ways. I would guess proper answer depends on how much you make of "profit".
dlc1962 (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 06:01:54 PM

Best answer is ask a CPA in your area.  I have heard it both ways. I would guess proper answer depends on how much you make of "profit".

Probably so. Just want to make sure Uncle Sam gets his part.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 06:40:59 PM

i remember the situation is under $600 you don't pay taxes for bitcoin

or just do face to face transaction to avoid it completely, buy food with it
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 09:38:42 PM

Most people have to pay capitol gains tax when they sell or spend. The rate could be from 0% - 20% depending on your tax situation. You are paying on the money that BTC has appreciated since you bought it. So if you bought a coin for $200 and when you spent it it was worth $300, you owe on the $100 of capitol appreciation. If your rate was 5% then your taxes come to $5.00. If you are spending at a loss you could also claim a loss on your taxes.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 04:21:15 AM

In USA, Bitcoin is not recognized as a form of money. So you will have to pay the capital gains tax, if you sell your coins for a profit.

If you are in the 39.6% bracket, then the long term caps gain will be 20% of your profit.  Angry

0% for the 10%–15% bracket.
coinz19

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 09:02:25 AM

I looks like the US will have several different tax laws with regard to Bitcoin.
Right now California is on the fence and is fighting with Coin Base.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1073

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 09:43:19 AM

it might varies from state to state.
Better be more specific and don't trust too much forum people(after all, if we are mistaken they won't be hurt in any way)

dlc1962 (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 11:16:58 AM

I'm in Texas and to be honest I haven't heard about taxes on bitcoins one way or another. I think I'll check with a CPA to be sure what to do. That is if I can find one that even knows what a bitcoin is. Smiley
worth

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 05:56:43 AM

Checking with a CPA is always a good idea (although the general level of unfamiliarity most people have with cryptocurrency means they may not really know the answer).  But the last I heard, the IRS hasn't changed their position from what they said last year:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-03-25/bitcoin-is-property-not-currency-in-tax-system-irs-says

Basically as others have said, it's taxed with capital gains, and so basically treated like a stock, at least at the federal level.

You don't get taxed for holding it, but do when you convert to fiat.  So if you're a buying and holding for the long term then you should pay a lower percent of your gains.  If you're trading back and forth between fiat it will probably be more complicated. Hodl.   Smiley

CryptoJunky

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 06:52:44 AM

I agree with the sentiment of checking in with a CPA. Last year I claimed it as capital gains, had a hard time finding a tax accountant knowledgeable about Bitcoin.

dlc1962 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:24:53 AM

I agree with the sentiment of checking in with a CPA. Last year I claimed it as capital gains, had a hard time finding a tax accountant knowledgeable about Bitcoin.

If I make enough to tax I'm afraid I'll run into the same problems. Small Texas towns tend to be a little behind on things.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:56:51 AM

And what if I make a loss? I think every country deals with such assets differently - and in most cases they don't have a defined guideline on how to report your assets/profits/loss and file taxes.

My suggestion is that if your country does not have any defined guidelines on crypto trading, just keep a detailed record of all your transactions in case authorities come asking anything, you should be able to produce proper records of everything. If they ask you why you didn't file taxes on it, you can just say you didn't have any guidelines to follow.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 09:20:14 AM

If sex tax is a pain in the ass, then you're doing it wrong...

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: