Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:26:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Actual Bitcoin 2.0 - Would You Buy It?  (Read 2383 times)
calme (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 08:32:41 PM

What would you do if you woke up and read an announcement from the BTC Foundation-

"Today we would like to proudly announce the launch of Bitcoin 2. We're all out of BTC now and have moved onto the new one."
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 08:36:39 PM

What would the foundation have to do with that? The only way I could see this happening is if BTC were broken and required a hard fork. In that case we might all have to move to a 2.0.

But No. There are bitcoins and scamcoins. Well, ok, litecoin has shown it's staying power.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 12:08:21 AM

If an update to Bitcoin 2 meant the loss of all bitcoins, not a single person would update.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 12:16:52 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2015, 01:00:59 PM by inBitweTrust

Bitcoin 2.0 is just a buzzword ... I look forward to Bitcoin 0.9.4

The BTC foundation has very little to do with the bitcoin ecosystem and is becoming
more and more obsolete everyday.

fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:32:43 AM

Ok, well:
(1) this won't happen
(2) I'm keeping my Bitcoin until another coin were to be of equal value with bitcoin. If that were the case I would reevaluate the trends and considering trading for the other coin. Granted that I would not reap the huge profit that I could have reaped if I had of invested in that coin at an earlier time, but at the same time I would not be investing in a hypothetical version 2.0 when all indications show that what is going mainstream is Bitcoin.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:36:04 AM

What would you do if you woke up and read an announcement from the BTC Foundation-

"Today we would like to proudly announce the launch of Bitcoin 2. We're all out of BTC now and have moved onto the new one."

Would depend if it truly was 2.0... would have to be some kind of revolutionary improvement.  Since bitcoin isnt even 1.0 yet and we dont know how it will turn out so i doubt this would happen.  Also remember the bitcoin foundation isnt bitcoin.
powersup

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:27:17 AM

Assuming the Bitcoin 2.0 blockchain isn't compatible with the current bitcoin blockchain, there is two realistic outcomes.

1. Hardfork (Most probable scenario)
2. Burning of Bitcoin 1.0 tokens to obtain Bitcoin 2.0 tokens (also very probable, think counterparty)

All other options seem unlikely unless Bitcoin 2.0 is set up a a complete separate cryptocurrency to Bitcoin.  This scenario would be very undesirable as far as the cryptocurrency community is concerned.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 04:56:40 AM

Here's the fun part... This is exactly what is going to happen with the upscaling plan, increasing block size limit. It will be a total clusterfuck in a last attempt to save bitcoin, completely obliterating it in the process...

It will destroy the entire bitcoin ecosystem and the trust of everyone out there that still sees potential in bitcoin, which by now are not a lot of people any more anyway...

I can't even believe they just want to up the limit instead of implementing a smart dynamic mechanism like some superior alt coins do. If you plan to fuck it up anyway, might as well at least try to really improve in the process...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 04:59:17 AM

Here's the fun part... This is exactly what is going to happen with the upscaling plan, increasing block size limit. It will be a total clusterfuck in a last attempt to save bitcoin, completely obliterating it in the process...

It will destroy the entire bitcoin ecosystem and the trust of everyone out there that still sees potential in bitcoin, which by now are not a lot of people any more anyway...

I can't even believe they just want to up the limit instead of implementing a smart dynamic mechanism like some superior alt coins do.

Can you give an example of this so called 'smart dynamic mechanism'?

arvindr

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 11:27:25 AM

If an update to Bitcoin 2 meant the loss of all bitcoins, not a single person would update.
Exacltly true. If its being transferred then that would be fine I guess. But without having your previously owned bitcoins transfered, no one would bother doing it.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 11:49:43 AM

The bitcoin 1 is about to launch(we are in 0.93)

Bitcoin 2.0 would be like an altcoin, specially if launched by the fundation.

And I would not buy it, btw
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 11:55:41 AM

It will need a very good reason to convince me to buy it. If it is just a fractional improvement compared to existing bitcoin, then my clear answer is no thanks. Unless it is super revolutionary that solves all the problem in the current system.

altcoin hitler

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 11:59:33 AM

Which foundation are you talking about? You are likely talking about the closed, insignificant one that merely carries the name.

The real, open, disrtributed and rightful foundation of Bitcoin would never do that.

(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934517.0)

King of the real Bitcoin Foundation https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934517.0
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 12:29:52 PM

the BTC Foundation
They have nothing to say or decide about Bitcoin. They can announce whatever they want, like anyone else. It doesn't mean jack shit.

We're all out of BTC now
Who is "we all"? If they are out of BTC, that means exactly nothing for the rest of the world.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 12:39:38 PM

I support Bitcoin and nothing else.

Anything other than that is nothing more than a shitty altcoin/clonecoin.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 12:43:01 PM

This is a very bad thread which isn't specific enough.
Firstly the TBF has nothing to do with this. If they jump from a building, saying you'll live a better life, do you follow?

Anything that makes people lose all Bitcoin, is not and will never be Bitcoin 2.0.
We are at 0.10. Bitcoin 2.0 is probably more than 10 years away. End of discussion.

The bitcoin 1 is about to launch(we are in 0.93)
No Bitcoin 1.0 is not going to launch in the near future. We are not on version 0.93 but 0.9.3. There is a difference.
The next one is 0.10.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:13:46 PM

If someone really wants to make a kick ass bitcoin 2.0 make it so its:

1.) super easy for anyone to mine, at least some 2.) super easy to use. 3.) super easy to send/store

When i first got into bitcoin everyone wanted to mine, example: the BTC-e chat box was full of people chatting about mining.  
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 01:18:31 PM

No.

Would you buy a USD 2.0?

SOAD

Activity: 324

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:26:00 PM

I would ignore it because the bitcoin foundation isn't the boss of bitcoin. Plus, wouldn't it just be another altcoin but with their backing?

fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:57:51 AM

No.

Would you buy a USD 2.0?

This is extremely logical. People are fixated on the fact that because Bitcoin is technology it needs to phase out and be improved. But part of the value of currency is longevity.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: