Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:35:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you get ROI for your mining equipment?  (Read 2749 times)
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 12:12:20 AM

Post if you got ROI for any mining equipment you bought. When did you buy it and when you got the ROI.

GPU Mining got me ROI in about 5-6 months when I started in January 2014. I assumed it would only take 1.5 months to break-even but all hell broke lose and difficulty jumped and BTC fell.

timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 03:43:06 AM

Nobody ROI's with newly bought mining equipment anymore.  Difficulty too high and price too low.

And people are stupid enough to not be able to math out the facts, and continue to buy ASICs.
cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 04:05:01 AM

Nobody ROI's with newly bought mining equipment anymore.  Difficulty too high and price too low.

And people are stupid enough to not be able to math out the facts, and continue to buy ASICs.

Pretty much this.

If you have money to ''invest'' just buy the BTC you'll end up with more BTC than if you mined.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:55:16 AM

I made a positive ROI on my B2 Gen 1 Avalon, was lucky enough to be in the initial "test" shipment.

I made a positive ROI on my numerous S1s purchased between Dec 2013 and Mar 2013.

I finally recouped my initial (BTC) outlay on my S2s that I purchased in April of 2014.  I'm still underwater on the power for probably another two months.

I haven't purchased anything since.
stonerider

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 05:04:45 PM

I've been a miner for about 3-4 months now and I've ROI'd on all my miners. In fact, I've made so much money, I just bought a castle in Spain!!! Ask me how via pm and I will show you, please include your name, address, social #, bank account, visa/mastercard info, drivers license, and your mother's maiden name.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 05:09:56 PM

I think you'll find that those who have paid for miners with fiat have had much more success getting >100% ROI.  I always buy with fiat, and in several cases now it's made the difference between <100% ROI and >300% ROI.
Corenin
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 05:13:47 PM

at current price i m not getting good ROI with mining but mining with hope of bitcoin price to riseup and it become profitable again, difficulty dropped this week and price also increased so expecting more return compared to last weeks
bbxx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 09:40:17 PM

i got mining roi on

6xbtbf
s1

and mining/reselling on

am be
am beb
am tube
dragon
ccd
sp20
antminer u1,s1,s3
thunder
war machine
and more

lost some on first am bebs
Smiley

if you recognize all miners from list you are not noob miner Smiley
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 12:43:24 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2015, 02:22:47 AM by xstr8guy

I did very well on my Bitfury rigs, ASICMiner Blades, KNC Mercury (with additional modules) and early S1s.

I paid cash/credit only for the Original Neptune, the first few Bitfury cards and several ASICMiner Blades. I also had a bunch of the AM USB sticks. I put every Satoshi earned back into buying Bitfury H boards while they were shipping from stock. I also bought 3 S1s from the early batches.

I had a positive ROI within a few months and the earnings from late 2013 to mid 2014 paid for every piece of gear I've bought since then. I even had to exchange BTC to pay most of my personal bills for several months while my business was transitioning and not bringing in much revenue in the middle of 2014.

Everything peaked for me before the 2nd half of 2014. I exchanged my KNC Neptune preorder for those gawd-awful FrankenJups. But it probably worked out better for me. I was hashing much sooner than those who kept their Neptune preorders and I was sent double the amount of hashing boards because of the terrible state that the FJs arrived in after shipping. I bought two extra controllers and was hashing with about 4.5THs just from the FrankenJups alone.

I was very lucky though. I got in early before difficulty was sky-high. And I paid for most of my equipment (pre-orders and in-stock) while BTC prices were astronomical. For example, the Neptune/FrankenJups preorder only cost ~10BTC because the price for Bitcoin was ~$1000 at the time. So by today's BTC price, it only cost $2500 for 4.5THs... not bad for Q2 of 2014!  Wink

Edit... I forgot about the BFL Little Single ($700) that I preordered with a credit card. Of course it arrived very late but I mined with it for a month and then sold it in September 2013 on eBay for $2400. That was a nice return on investment, lol.
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 02:02:30 AM

Here, you go. Directly off my old spreadsheet.

From 5/31/2013 to 11/9/2013  

4.65404113    generated BTC with 1 Radeon 7950 ($300), a couple of other paid for graphics cards (from my gaming machine - nVidia cards actually...go figure), and 5 block erupters ($150ish each).

Total outlay - $1250 (added power supply in).

Average BTC price around that time was about 200ish ($100 to $300ish).

BTC price on 12/10/2013 was $933. (when I got rid of the BTC  Grin)

I leave it to you to do the math for ROI.

Things since then have not been anywhere near that good, but still making ROI. Just takes longer, that's all.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:25:38 AM

I think hardest to ROI was A2's.  You had to rent them though a site to make it back, and also depended on how much you spent as priced dropped in big amounts.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 02:29:15 PM

Here's a good site to guesstimate(excluding electrical costs) what you put in, and what you mined back:

http://retrocalc.net/

I bombed with my first miner, the Asicminer BlockErupter Blades, back in November/December of 2013.  Sold it on eBay to minimize the loss.

The only ROI I've ever received with miners was the Antminer S1s and first Dragon 1TH/s miners back in early 2014.  Mined to about even, from February to mid summer 2014, then sold off the farm for profit.

That's about the only real way to be on the plus end, the resale of equipment.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 02:38:17 PM

I did ROI... but only because the miner I had was offered Grin Had a Gridseed 5-chip lying around when they were first released. Also helped setting up Gridseed rigs, and all of them had ROI, as they were set-up early in the game Smiley
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 02:50:40 PM

offcource difficulty for bitcoin mining is dropping but price dropping also so in the terms if you bought your miners with fiat then its not profitable for mining but if you bought it with btc when price was higher then possible you are getting better return for your BTC investment
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:01:20 PM

Here's a good site to guesstimate(excluding electrical costs) what you put in, and what you mined back:

http://retrocalc.net/

I bombed with my first miner, the Asicminer BlockErupter Blades, back in November/December of 2013.  Sold it on eBay to minimize the loss.

The only ROI I've ever received with miners was the Antminer S1s and first Dragon 1TH/s miners back in early 2014.  Mined to about even, from February to mid summer 2014, then sold off the farm for profit.

That's about the only real way to be on the plus end, the resale of equipment.

Its a cool website. It would of been nice if there was an option to conver the BTC to USD at the current date and then you could easily estimate how much you would of made.

BTCish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 07:39:12 PM

It is now a good time to buy miners with fiat, if you believe than BTC price will raise. good way to get positive ROI sooner.

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:04:18 PM

It is now a good time to buy miners with fiat, if you believe than BTC price will raise. good way to get positive ROI sooner.

Bingo!  If history repeats, it's a great time to buy a miner with fiat.

The other benefit to buying a miner with fiat is that it is the *only* way to stand a chance at getting >100% ROI in a downtrend, even if it happens to require a very specific set of conditions (and it does).
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

As always, as it was in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015....if you believe the price will rise, just buy the Bitcoin.

You're throwing away money and wasting time buying miners, if you're doing it strictly on speculation.

Too many factors against mining: electrical costs, downtime, upkeep, maintenance, cooling, difficulty, pool variance

Just buy BTC at the moment, it's at a discount price!   Cool

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:13:01 PM

As always, as it was in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015....if you believe the price will rise, just buy the Bitcoin.

You're throwing away money and wasting time buying miners, if you're doing it strictly on speculation.

Too many factors against mining: electrical costs, downtime, upkeep, maintenance, cooling, difficulty, pool variance

Bad logic.  There are many reasons why buying a miner could be better than buying BTC.  If people really believe that BTC will definitively increase in value, then the best option would seem to be selling everything you own for BTC that isn't essential to your immediate survival.

Obviously, that would be an unbelievably risky move, so basically anyone will factor in at least *some* level of risk.  For those who don't mind risk, buying BTC outright may be preferable.  However, if you hate risk, buying a miner can be a much safer option, especially in a bear market.  The trade off for that extra security is decreased profit potential over the long haul.
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 10:27:14 PM

Bad logic.  There are many reasons why buying a miner could be better than buying BTC.  If people really believe that BTC will definitively increase in value, then the best option would seem to be selling everything you own for BTC that isn't essential to your immediate survival.

Obviously, that would be an unbelievably risky move, so basically anyone will factor in at least *some* level of risk.  For those who don't mind risk, buying BTC outright may be preferable.  However, if you hate risk, buying a miner can be a much safer option, especially in a bear market.  The trade off for that extra security is decreased profit potential over the long haul.

You don't buy miners when the price slumps, you just buy BTC, if you're speculating on a price hike.

You DO buy miners when the BTC fiat price is high, as it's more prohibitive to buy the coin outright, then it is to generate small amounts of it daily in hopes of making your fiat investment back.

Simple math for ROI, dude.  BTC In<=BTC Out

Buying a miner now with fiat, no matter which miners, you'll net negative BTC.  If you bought a miner for $500, mine back half a Bitcoin and Bitcoin spikes to $920 a Bitcoin, you're thinking, "WOW, I made back my investment!"   WRONG!

If you had bought $500 worth of Bitcoin, you'd have over 2 Bitcoins at today's price.

It's throwing good money at bad investments.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄