Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 09:17:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Real life use case of BTC working where VISA doesn't  (Read 994 times)
Shiver (OP)

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:14:38 PM

Got a call from a friend who has another friend from USA who is currently in Myanmar for a few weeks.

Issue is, USA apparently has just blocked VISA use there, so he can't get cash out of the ATM, and his bank claims they didn't know.

My friend this side of the border calls me and asks if BTC can help (the guy has BTC with him over in Myanmar).  Quick search on localbitcoins.com, found someone prepared to do the deal (via Western Union unfortunately), and problem solved.

Not the most efficient way of digging yourself out of a short term hole, but without the BTC he would be in a tight spot.

Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 01:22:39 PM

Why didn't you guys just send him the BTC yourselves and cut out the localbitcoins merchant (and WU....)?

Sounds like he got a pretty bad deal IMO.

SOAD

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:24:50 PM

Does your friend not have any bitcoins himself? Hopefully in the near future there will be a bitcoin version of western union but without the rapey fees so people can send money and exchange it to cash straight away.

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1572

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 01:27:22 PM

Why didn't you guys just send him the BTC yourselves and cut out the localbitcoins merchant (and WU....)?

Sounds like he got a pretty bad deal IMO.

+1

The story doesn't quite add up.

@OP, was the goal to send bitcoins to your friend, or to send him some cash using bitcoin for transfer?
Shiver (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:36:17 PM

He has his own bitcoin, didn't need mine, and I'm not looking to increase or decrease my stash at the moment.  Just found him someone to do a deal with so I'm not in the picture (I don't know either party personally), plus I'm in Thailand, so don't want to get wrapped up in potential issues of being a money exchanger being a foreigner without a work permit.

Given a day or so, he can set up mobile internet there and be self sufficient, but he was looking for a result today.  He wasn't anticipating any ATM problems so didn't have much of anything tradable in his pocket wallet.

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1572

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 01:47:41 PM

He has his own bitcoin, didn't need mine, and I'm not looking to increase or decrease my stash at the moment.  Just found him someone to do a deal with so I'm not in the picture (I don't know either party personally), plus I'm in Thailand, so don't want to get wrapped up in potential issues of being a money exchanger being a foreigner without a work permit.

Given a day or so, he can set up mobile internet there and be self sufficient, but he was looking for a result today.  He wasn't anticipating any ATM problems so didn't have much of anything tradable in his pocket wallet.

OK, thanks for clarifying. So long story short - he solved his Visa problem by selling his bitcoins for cash.
Shiver (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:54:11 PM

Yep.  Where just one part of the international centralised systems failed, BTC came through for him, so he won't be sleeping on the street tonight.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:44:44 PM

Got a call from a friend who has another friend from USA who is currently in Myanmar for a few weeks.

Issue is, USA apparently has just blocked VISA use there, so he can't get cash out of the ATM, and his bank claims they didn't know.

My friend this side of the border calls me and asks if BTC can help (the guy has BTC with him over in Myanmar).  Quick search on localbitcoins.com, found someone prepared to do the deal (via Western Union unfortunately), and problem solved.

Not the most efficient way of digging yourself out of a short term hole, but without the BTC he would be in a tight spot.

USA won't be pleased that their sanctions aren't that effective.  Smiley
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:02:52 PM

Unfortunately you still need to use regular banking in most cases (western union) coz meeting people in real life is hard.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 06:53:25 PM

Nice story!
See Bitcoin always help's Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: