Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:06:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ❢❢❢ The value proposition of each coin: BTC, DOGE, LTC, DRK, PPC, XRP, NXT, etc.  (Read 11249 times)
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 10:50:15 PM

Dogecoin has the highest usage of any altcoin, including Litecoin (excluding off-chain tipping).

Dogecoin has more community support than all altcoins combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

Smiley

(Do you actually believe that "technological innovation" matters if there is no growing community that use it?)

this is true
they have more support then other
still this is good cuz if i read correctly on other topic halving is near for doge this can only influence more user in doge and hopping for price change

Lol, this is a laughable claim.   If true, why did doge move to being mergemined inside the litecoin chain?    

Learn what AuxPoW actually means.

Learn about Dogecoin:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=800004.0;all

Wink

I like dogecoin too, and I know what AuxPOW is.  Sorry if my comment was out of order, I was referring to the "highest usage of any altcoin" claim. 
TX per day and exchange volume disagree with that claim, but to be fair those don't mean all that much as they are unverifiable as legitimate traffic.  The only metric that can't be faked is hash rate.   

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
dataispower

Activity: 1330
Merit: 289

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:46:11 PM

Dogecoin has the highest usage of any altcoin, including Litecoin (excluding off-chain tipping).

Dogecoin has more community support than all altcoins combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

Smiley

(Do you actually believe that "technological innovation" matters if there is no growing community that use it?)

this is true
they have more support then other
still this is good cuz if i read correctly on other topic halving is near for doge this can only influence more user in doge and hopping for price change

Lol, this is a laughable claim.   If true, why did doge move to being mergemined inside the litecoin chain?    

Learn what AuxPoW actually means.

Learn about Dogecoin:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=800004.0;all

Wink

I like dogecoin too, and I know what AuxPOW is.  Sorry if my comment was out of order, I was referring to the "highest usage of any altcoin" claim. 
TX per day and exchange volume disagree with that claim, but to be fair those don't mean all that much as they are unverifiable as legitimate traffic.  The only metric that can't be faked is hash rate.   

https://bitinfocharts.com/charts.html

Dogecoin has the highest usage of any altcoin (active addresses), including Litecoin (excluding off-chain tipping).

I only look at data.
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:22:11 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 08:36:40 PM by nachoig

LTC.
- Worthless clone.

It seems LTC was born because of the problems of the first altcoins (Tenebrix, ixcoin)...

DRK.
- OK, now we're getting to something different. Completely anonymous, untracable transactions. This is worth a lot. This is what people think bitcoin has but it doesn't. If bitcoin had this, it would be worth a lot more.
- How well does the anonymous transaction thing actually work? I'd love to hear people's experiences with using Darkcoin.
- Broken architecture?

Darkcoin loves to change the rules. It's the king of hard forks. First they said it would be 100.000.000.000.000.000 coins (yes, 100 quadrillion) of coins. Now the limit is ~20 million (so, they turned the first 2 millions of coins generated in the first 2 days, when they didn't have a Windows wallet even more valuable). Also a lot of times they changed the reward blocks scheme. What happened?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5830006#msg5830006
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5823918#msg5823918
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=525093.0;all

They also proposed a merge with ShadowCash, and to do this, they proposed to increase the number of DRK (they would create DRK out of thin air).
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HrGDKKtr5cKKE8Iu7aOw1vXbVTGk9078sQaWlprZYrs/edit
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 04:51:02 AM

This is a nice thread.  I’ll summarize what is going on as quickly as possible which for me is not quickly.

BTC- no comment necessary

Doge and Litecoin – You dismissed these but you very well shouldn’t have.  Litecoin has by far the biggest marketcap despite going down like 90%.  There is a very real chance on the next BTC pump, that Litecoin will pump even harder.  In fact it almost doubled on the Coinbase news.  And for Doge, it has something that all these other coins listed don’t have, which is widely underestimated; it is cool.  Ultimately when you put a cool product next to a different product that is far superior, it is often times that the cool product wins.  Nobody wants to be a dork.

Darkcoin and Monero – I see a lot of arguments about which is better, and it really doesn’t matter.  In a year from now BTC will have its own anon options with projects such as Coinjoin or Darkwallet which will make theses alts obsolete and pointless.

Namecoin – forget about it

XRP – lots and lots of more people are coming over to Ripple.  It does what it does really well, but will that be enough? 

PPC – Was a great step, but we can gather that probably Bitcoin’s POW or other newer and more robust forms of POS will win out in the future, which leaves Peercoin left behind in either scenario.  To avoid this it would have to develop itself extensively, and to be fair lots of new development is coming out of the Peercoin team, but ultimately they are limited with their code and just what they can do.  A newer and more robust 2.0 system will just have so much more functionality. 

Now for the two more controversial coins because up until now, it has been pretty easy to discern.

Bitshares – Not really a coin as others have said but more of a 2.0 platform.  As stated earlier they will do anything to make a buck and don’t hide it. So at least you know where they stand. 

I agree that Bitshares will do anything to make money, and that includes lie and cheat.  When you look at the amount of money going in and out of Bitshares, it is almost nothing and has a terrible liquidity problem, so even if you did put a lot of money in (which would be very easy) you would have a really hard time taking it out.  If you look on the inside of Bitshares there is lots of liquidity.  One may suspect that there are just a few Bitshare’s holders holding a lot of shares and trading with each other to fake liquidity.  After all, they will do anything to make money.  Bitshares also has shills out in large numbers plugging this coin and that is evident on this thread too.

NXT – is the most advanced feature wise of all these coins by far (note what I said about Doge earlier because sometimes it doesn't matter.  In theory if features were more important NXT would have smashed Doge, but in reality it is the other way around).  It can’t be counted out but has had a really rocky start.  It’s platform is also quite splintered and as a first mover has had to forge into territory that was unknown and often didn’t do nearly as well as it could have.  All around some of the most exciting work being done in crypto is being done at NXT, and will continue to be done there, but the real question is "Can they pull it off?"   

My summary.

Value.
- Bitcoin

Probable Value.
- Dogecoin
- Litecoin

Possible value.
- Ripple
- Nxt
- Bitshares

No value.
- Namecoin
- Peercoin
- Darkcoin
- Monero

Missed platforms: Gems, Maidsafe, Storj, and NEM because each one of these will be bring new things to the market that no other platform has done before if they can pull it off. 

The only two coins that have successfully pulled off their niche is Litecoin and Doge.  Litecoin has achieved being the known trading pair to BTC and Doge has pulled off being cool.  Those factors might not carry them through, but at least they won a battle.  None of the other coins haven't really proven themselves enough to get into my "probable" category.   

And one last test is to look at market cap.  I feel like to be safe a coin needs to be over 10 million USD, and I also feel like anything under 1 million USD has utterly failed.

Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:58:24 AM

This is a nice thread.  I’ll summarize what is going on as quickly as possible which for me is not quickly.

Doge and Litecoin – You dismissed these but you very well shouldn’t have.  Litecoin has by far the biggest marketcap despite going down like 90%.  There is a very real chance on the next BTC pump, that Litecoin will pump even harder.  In fact it almost doubled on the Coinbase news.  And for Doge, it has something that all these other coins listed don’t have, which is widely underestimated; it is cool.  Ultimately when you put a cool product next to a different product that is far superior, it is often times that the cool product wins.  Nobody wants to be a dork.

Darkcoin and Monero – I see a lot of arguments about which is better, and it really doesn’t matter.  In a year from now BTC will have its own anon options with projects such as Coinjoin or Darkwallet which will make theses alts obsolete and pointless.

XRP – lots and lots of more people are coming over to Ripple.  It does what it does really well, but will that be enough? 

PPC – Was a great step, but we can gather that probably Bitcoin’s POW or other newer and more robust forms of POS will win out in the future, which leaves Peercoin left behind in either scenario.  To avoid this it would have to develop itself extensively, and to be fair lots of new development is coming out of the Peercoin team, but ultimately they are limited with their code and just what they can do.  A newer and more robust 2.0 system will just have so much more functionality. 

Now for the two more controversial coins because up until now, it has been pretty easy to discern.

Bitshares – Not really a coin as others have said but more of a 2.0 platform.  As stated earlier they will do anything to make a buck and don’t hide it. So at least you know where they stand. 

I agree that Bitshares will do anything to make money, and that includes lie and cheat.  When you look at the amount of money going in and out of Bitshares, it is almost nothing and has a terrible liquidity problem, so even if you did put a lot of money in (which would be very easy) you would have a really hard time taking it out.  If you look on the inside of Bitshares there is lots of liquidity.  One may suspect that there are just a few Bitshare’s holders holding a lot of shares and trading with each other to fake liquidity.  After all, they will do anything to make money.  Bitshares also has shills out in large numbers plugging this coin and that is evident on this thread too.

NXT – is the most advanced feature wise of all these coins by far (note what I said about Doge earlier because sometimes it doesn't matter.  In theory if features were more important NXT would have smashed Doge, but in reality it is the other way around).  It can’t be counted out but has had a really rocky start.  It’s platform is also quite splintered and as a first mover has had to forge into territory that was unknown and often didn’t do nearly as well as it could have.  All around some of the most exciting work being done in crypto is being done at NXT, and will continue to be done there, but the real question is "Can they pull it off?"   

My summary.

Value.
- Bitcoin

Probable Value.
- Dogecoin
- Litecoin

Possible value.
- Ripple
- Nxt
- Bitshares

No value.
- Namecoin
- Peercoin
- Darkcoin
- Monero

Missed platforms: Gems, Maidsafe, Storj, and NEM because each one of these will be bring new things to the market that no other platform has done before if they can pull it off. 

The only two coins that have successfully pulled off their niche is Litecoin and Doge.  Litecoin has achieved being the known trading pair to BTC and Doge has pulled off being cool.  Those factors might not carry them through, but at least they won a battle.  None of the other coins haven't really proven themselves enough to get into my "probable" category.   

And one last test is to look at market cap.  I feel like to be safe a coin needs to be over 10 million USD, and I also feel like anything under 1 million USD has utterly failed.

Absolutely horrid assessment. You have no clue about value. Go learn what makes a successful product or company, then compare it to the cryptospace. Silly gimmicks don't make a product a bestseller, as Doge has learned from it's falling hashrate and declining interest previous to mergemining with Litecoin, it's the technology that does.

Frankly, every coin you listed as having no value, are the top and only ones that do have value, while the one you listed as having probable value, is worthless. Coinjoin is trivial and a 3rd party application, not to mention that most of those coin shuffling websites have been scams, and Darkwallet is basically Coinjoin, which means Bitcoin doesn't/won't have anonymity at the protocol level, and that's needed.

Go learn a thing or two.
CorrieCubed

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 05:08:39 AM

How about Reddcoin?
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 05:54:59 AM

This is a nice thread.  I’ll summarize what is going on as quickly as possible which for me is not quickly.

Doge and Litecoin – You dismissed these but you very well shouldn’t have.  Litecoin has by far the biggest marketcap despite going down like 90%.  There is a very real chance on the next BTC pump, that Litecoin will pump even harder.  In fact it almost doubled on the Coinbase news.  And for Doge, it has something that all these other coins listed don’t have, which is widely underestimated; it is cool.  Ultimately when you put a cool product next to a different product that is far superior, it is often times that the cool product wins.  Nobody wants to be a dork.

Darkcoin and Monero – I see a lot of arguments about which is better, and it really doesn’t matter.  In a year from now BTC will have its own anon options with projects such as Coinjoin or Darkwallet which will make theses alts obsolete and pointless.

XRP – lots and lots of more people are coming over to Ripple.  It does what it does really well, but will that be enough?  

PPC – Was a great step, but we can gather that probably Bitcoin’s POW or other newer and more robust forms of POS will win out in the future, which leaves Peercoin left behind in either scenario.  To avoid this it would have to develop itself extensively, and to be fair lots of new development is coming out of the Peercoin team, but ultimately they are limited with their code and just what they can do.  A newer and more robust 2.0 system will just have so much more functionality.  

Bitshares – Not really a coin as others have said but more of a 2.0 platform.  As stated earlier they will do anything to make a buck and don’t hide it. So at least you know where they stand.  

I agree that Bitshares will do anything to make money, and that includes lie and cheat.  When you look at the amount of money going in and out of Bitshares, it is almost nothing and has a terrible liquidity problem, so even if you did put a lot of money in (which would be very easy) you would have a really hard time taking it out.  If you look on the inside of Bitshares there is lots of liquidity.  One may suspect that there are just a few Bitshare’s holders holding a lot of shares and trading with each other to fake liquidity.  After all, they will do anything to make money.  Bitshares also has shills out in large numbers plugging this coin and that is evident on this thread too.

NXT – is the most advanced feature wise of all these coins by far (note what I said about Doge earlier because sometimes it doesn't matter.  In theory if features were more important NXT would have smashed Doge, but in reality it is the other way around).  It can’t be counted out but has had a really rocky start.  It’s platform is also quite splintered and as a first mover has had to forge into territory that was unknown and often didn’t do nearly as well as it could have.  All around some of the most exciting work being done in crypto is being done at NXT, and will continue to be done there, but the real question is "Can they pull it off?"    

My summary.

Value.
- Bitcoin

Probable Value.
- Dogecoin
- Litecoin

Possible value.
- Ripple
- Nxt
- Bitshares

No value.
- Namecoin
- Peercoin
- Darkcoin
- Monero

The only two coins that have successfully pulled off their niche is Litecoin and Doge.  Litecoin has achieved being the known trading pair to BTC and Doge has pulled off being cool.  Those factors might not carry them through, but at least they won a battle.  None of the other coins haven't really proven themselves enough to get into my "probable" category.  

And one last test is to look at market cap.  I feel like to be safe a coin needs to be over 10 million USD, and I also feel like anything under 1 million USD has utterly failed.

Absolutely horrid assessment. You have no clue about value. Go learn what makes a successful product or company, then compare it to the cryptospace. Silly gimmicks don't make a product a bestseller, as Doge has learned from it's falling hashrate and declining interest previous to mergemining with Litecoin, it's the technology that does.

Frankly, every coin you listed as having no value, are the top and only ones that do have value, while the one you listed as having probable value, is worthless. Coinjoin is trivial and a 3rd party application, not to mention that most of those coin shuffling websites have been scams, and Darkwallet is basically Coinjoin, which means Bitcoin doesn't/won't have anonymity at the protocol level, and that's needed.

Go learn a thing or two.

I suggest you learn a thing or two and read better.  I didn't say that a gimmick "will" win, I said often times it does.  Additionally a silly gimmick did and has made Doge very successful.  You say it doesn't, but it is very clear that it has for a fact.  Your imagined world where tech always wins over gimmicks is not better than the real world of facts that I can prove by looking at market cap.  For a fact Doge has a higher market cap, better liquidity and more transactions than Namecoin, Darkcoin, and Peercoin despite those being better tech wise.  And Litecoin which you dismiss is still doing better than Namecoin, Darkcoin, Peercoin, Monero, and NXT combined.   (full discloser, I own none of these coins)

Furthermore major corporations will often spend far more on advertising and marketing then they do or product development.  Why?  Because they know being cool and have a gimmick sells better than having good tech.  It doesn't matter which product is actually better, it only matters which product the consumer thinks is better and most consumers are simply not knowledgeable about a product to truly discern which product is superior.  This holds true with toothpaste, cell phones, jeans, sushi, cable packages, and prepackaged vacations. Gimmicks sell.  

Furthemore, if gimmicks are so powerless why do you have a gimmick username that is a blatant rip off?

And as for anonymity it doesn't matter if it is achieved wallet side or protocol side.  If you are anon then you are anon.

Come-In-Behind

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 06:07:11 AM

This is a nice thread.  I’ll summarize what is going on as quickly as possible which for me is not quickly.

Doge and Litecoin – You dismissed these but you very well shouldn’t have.  Litecoin has by far the biggest marketcap despite going down like 90%.  There is a very real chance on the next BTC pump, that Litecoin will pump even harder.  In fact it almost doubled on the Coinbase news.  And for Doge, it has something that all these other coins listed don’t have, which is widely underestimated; it is cool.  Ultimately when you put a cool product next to a different product that is far superior, it is often times that the cool product wins.  Nobody wants to be a dork.

Darkcoin and Monero – I see a lot of arguments about which is better, and it really doesn’t matter.  In a year from now BTC will have its own anon options with projects such as Coinjoin or Darkwallet which will make theses alts obsolete and pointless.

XRP – lots and lots of more people are coming over to Ripple.  It does what it does really well, but will that be enough?  

PPC – Was a great step, but we can gather that probably Bitcoin’s POW or other newer and more robust forms of POS will win out in the future, which leaves Peercoin left behind in either scenario.  To avoid this it would have to develop itself extensively, and to be fair lots of new development is coming out of the Peercoin team, but ultimately they are limited with their code and just what they can do.  A newer and more robust 2.0 system will just have so much more functionality.  

Bitshares – Not really a coin as others have said but more of a 2.0 platform.  As stated earlier they will do anything to make a buck and don’t hide it. So at least you know where they stand.  

I agree that Bitshares will do anything to make money, and that includes lie and cheat.  When you look at the amount of money going in and out of Bitshares, it is almost nothing and has a terrible liquidity problem, so even if you did put a lot of money in (which would be very easy) you would have a really hard time taking it out.  If you look on the inside of Bitshares there is lots of liquidity.  One may suspect that there are just a few Bitshare’s holders holding a lot of shares and trading with each other to fake liquidity.  After all, they will do anything to make money.  Bitshares also has shills out in large numbers plugging this coin and that is evident on this thread too.

NXT – is the most advanced feature wise of all these coins by far (note what I said about Doge earlier because sometimes it doesn't matter.  In theory if features were more important NXT would have smashed Doge, but in reality it is the other way around).  It can’t be counted out but has had a really rocky start.  It’s platform is also quite splintered and as a first mover has had to forge into territory that was unknown and often didn’t do nearly as well as it could have.  All around some of the most exciting work being done in crypto is being done at NXT, and will continue to be done there, but the real question is "Can they pull it off?"    

My summary.

Value.
- Bitcoin

Probable Value.
- Dogecoin
- Litecoin

Possible value.
- Ripple
- Nxt
- Bitshares

No value.
- Namecoin
- Peercoin
- Darkcoin
- Monero

The only two coins that have successfully pulled off their niche is Litecoin and Doge.  Litecoin has achieved being the known trading pair to BTC and Doge has pulled off being cool.  Those factors might not carry them through, but at least they won a battle.  None of the other coins haven't really proven themselves enough to get into my "probable" category.  

And one last test is to look at market cap.  I feel like to be safe a coin needs to be over 10 million USD, and I also feel like anything under 1 million USD has utterly failed.

Go learn a thing or two.

I suggest you learn a thing or two and read better.  I didn't say that a gimmick "will" win, I said often times it does.  Additionally a silly gimmick did and has made Doge very successful.  You say it doesn't, but it is very clear that it has for a fact.  Your imagined world where tech always wins over gimmicks is not better than the real world of facts that I can prove by looking at market cap.  For a fact Doge has a higher market cap, better liquidity and more transactions than Namecoin, Darkcoin, and Peercoin despite those being better tech wise.  And Litecoin which you dismiss is still doing better than Namecoin, Darkcoin, Peercoin, Monero, and NXT combined.   (full discloser, I own none of these coins)

Furthermore major corporations will often spend far more on advertising and marketing then they do or product development.  Why?  Because they know being cool and have a gimmick sells better than having good tech.  It doesn't matter which product is actually better, it only matters which product the consumer thinks is better and most consumers are simply not knowledgeable about a product to truly discern which product is superior.  This holds true with toothpaste, cell phones, jeans, sushi, cable packages, and prepackaged vacations. Gimmicks sell.  

Furthemore, if gimmicks are so powerless why do you have a gimmick username that is a blatant rip off?

And as for anonymity it doesn't matter if it is achieved wallet side or protocol side.  If you are anon then you are anon.

Go learn actual marketing and economics please. Mostly everything you've said is bullshit, I have no need to further discussion with you. Marketing places a huge role yes, but when it comes to these cryptocoins, such as Litecoin or Dogecoin, it's just blatant manipulation helping them. The majority of Litecoin's daily volume comes from 0% fee exchanges, so it's most likely that Litecoin's volume is just the same bots trading between themselves over and over to create the illusion of real volume. As for Dogecoin, if you've followed it's progess at all, you'd know that it's "AuxPoW' aka Mergemining is what saved it, no matter how much marketing they put in it's price and hashrate kept falling, so they decided to merge mine with Litecoin...

Solid Tech is what keep's users interested and coming back, especially in the world of cryptocurrencies. Marketing is what brings them in.
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 06:47:33 AM

Again, your disputing my real world facts of numbers with your hypothetical world.

Come-In-Behind

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:02:15 AM

Again, your disputing my real world facts of numbers with your hypothetical world.

You've used no numbers so far if you mean statistics...so what??
TruthBear

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:41:14 AM

NXT.
- First(?) "bitcoin 2.0". Most liquid 2.0 coin. First mover advantage.
- PoS, wallet must be unlocked to mine?
- I'd love to hear people's experiences with this.
- How does it stack up against other 2.0 coins?

Hi,

I can only answer for Nxt, as it's the system I am most familiar with.

- I am not a huge believer in "first mover advantage". It also means you get most of the flack, because chances are you are also the first mover on problems.
- Yes, to forge, you need to have your account (brainwallet) unlocked
- I'm interested in this, too. I'm an old-timer in Nxt, so probably have a lot of blind spots here that should be much more obvious to newcomers.
- I commissioned this chart a few weeks ago, and it's at least checked by the Bitshares community, too. Other communities are welcome to critique, but it seems mostly accurate: http://i.cubeupload.com/J02n9J.jpg

As to the "value proposition": one of the large advantages of Nxt is that it supports a host of transaction types (standard coin transactions, data transfer, "alias" transactions, colored coins etc) that can be used in combination with each other to create entire systems. Taken by themselves they are useful, but the true power lies in being able to use them by easy API calls, so they can be integrated into websites, 3rd party apps etc.

What also appeals to me is that it is not dependent on a 3rd party blockchain, but is self-contained.

- Ripple is deflationary, where did you get 30% from? Weird.
- You can list 'assets' or anything of value on Ripple.
- Ripple has user registered accounts and names

Are all of those points about NXT in the core? As I know there is a lot of 3rd party services.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 6346

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 09:08:31 AM

PPC.
- The first Proof of Stake coin. First mover advantage. Most liquid PoS coin.
- What are your experiences with PPC? Does the wallet have to be open to mine?
Yes. If not, it would be insecure. But there is a mechanism in development called "cold locked minting" (see below) that will allow riskless minting.

- There are now other PoS coins. And there's an improvement on PoS - DPoS. I feel like if PoS will succeed, it will move in the direction of DPoS, meaning bitshares.

DPoS means that "little coin owners" lease their "voting power" (stake) to the big whales, so they don't need to be online all the time. The risk is that these whales can use this power to 51%-attack the coin. PPC 0.5 will have a mechanism a bit similar to DPoS called Cold storage minting, and NXT too has a similar mechanism, Leased Forging. The difference is that DPOS and Leased Forging are encouraging centralization, while PPC's Cold-locked minting does not, it tries to avoid the danger of having accounts with a too large stake.

PPC's cold-storage minting (see a technical description here) allows to delegate your stake to another account. This "minting account" must be online to mint, but doesn't need to have coins in it, so it's 100% safe to mint and you could do it even with your smartphone. But it does not allow the formation of "minting pools" or "big delegates" like in BTS and NXT, because there must be trust between both accounts. In my opinion, it's the best of all three "delegation" systems, but it's still in testing stage (but already implemented, so it's not vaporware).
NXT.
- First(?) "bitcoin 2.0". Most liquid 2.0 coin. First mover advantage.

That depends how you define "a 2.0 coin".

First with a own codebase, not being a clone? That was probably Timekoin or Bytecoin.
First coin not relying on proof-of-work? That was Timekoin, then came Peercoin, the first PoS coin.
First coin with coloured coins / asset exchange? That in fact was Bitcoin, with the Mastercoin "plugin" Wink
First coin with Java client? Not even this, because there's Bitcoin's Multibit Grin

But I like NXT, it is moving forward very fast and already has a lot of unique features.
- PoS, wallet must be unlocked to mine?

You can lease your stake to a big whale (see above "Leased Forging"), so you must not be online.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
WX_Gunny

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 09:15:59 AM

No value.
- All
it will be more correct Cheesy
ple

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 10:36:33 AM

and XMR is also performing good they recently raised $30M for their project

We...did...? I don't remember raising a cent, last I recall we are significantly behind on donations:)

Digital-Payments Company Ripple Labs Finalizing $30 Million Funding Round
http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2015/01/26/digital-payments-company-ripple-labs-finalizing-30-million-funding-round/
ple

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:08:38 AM

Useful info
https://www.coingecko.com/en
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=561516.0
Momimaus

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

Never back down !!!

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 06:45:07 PM

Guys calm down. When Ethereum joins the game, almost all coins will be obsolete. So no sense in discussing wether LTC/DOGE or DRK/MON is better, they are all doomed.

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
CoinTracking is analyzing all your trades and generates in real time tons of useful information such as the profit / loss of your trades, your balances, realized and unrealized gains, reports for tax declaration and many more. For Bitcoin and over 3000 altcoins, assets and commodities.
Get 10% discount for all packages or create your own affiliate link to get 20% for every sale.
Come-In-Behind

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 06:55:36 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 08:36:09 PM by Come-In-Behind

Guys calm down. When Ethereum joins the game, almost all coins will be obsolete. So no sense in discussing wether LTC/DOGE or DRK/MON is better, they are all doomed.

Uh what? You clearly have no clue...Ethereum isn't a "coin", it's an application or platform.
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 08:13:48 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 08:42:54 PM by qwizzie

to OP :

with regards to DRK :

- OK, now we're getting to something different. Completely anonymous, untracable transactions. This is worth a lot. This is what people think bitcoin has but it doesn't. If bitcoin had this, it would be worth a lot more.
- How well does the anonymous transaction thing actually work? I'd love to hear people's experiences with using Darkcoin.
- Broken architecture?

- It works fast and it works very well, they increased the number to mix towards 16 rounds and pretty much streamlined the whole thing making it run more smoothly with better feedback towards end-users. They pretty much closed all vulnurabilities and bugs they found so far very fast (there may still be some lurking around as its a lot of new code but i have no doubt about darkcoin's developers capability to deal with those)

- They incorporated Bitcoin into Darkcoin (making Darkcoin a fork of Bitcoin instead of Litecoin) to make it more Bitcoin compatible, API / Merchant wise and they are now focussing on further developing InstantX and preparing it for the public Testnet. I have therefore no idea what you exactly mean with broken architecture. It all just works .. and it
works well.

* Next thing (after InstantX) will be implementing some form of two factor authorization on decentralised blockchain level, this will increase security drastically in my eyes.  http://newsbtc.com/2015/01/26/evan-duffield-proposes-2-factor-authentication-2fa-darkcoin/

* The Masternode network is yet another thing that seperates Darkcoin from any other cryptocurrency, its decentralised and its getting increasingly profitable to run masternodes or even share a masternode with some people :

https://i.imgur.com/kHW81Vc.png

http://www.darkcoin.cm/index/masternodes_map
http://www.darkcoin.cm/index/masternodes/

* Last but not least take a look at the price for these last few weeks, you will see a steady rise and some very very solid buying support walls (for some time now) on several exchanges, this means Darkcoin got some serious attention and has been given time to further develop its technologies without worrying about price too much.    

http://dc-charts.com/depth_drk.php?ex=9&cu=0&sw=2&tz=5&ar=0&dl=2&js=1&sc=0&ba=2&re=1
http://dc-charts.com/depth_drk.php?ex=2&cu=0&sw=2&tz=5&ar=0&dl=2&js=1&sc=0&ba=2&re=0

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/cryptsy/drkbtc
https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/bitfinex/drkbtc

Come join the dark side Smiley

Links to Darkcoin's forums :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.0
https://darkcointalk.org/

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 10:59:29 PM

Absolutely horrid assessment. You have no clue about value. Go learn what makes a successful product or company

LoL

+1 to that.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:08:00 PM

In a year from now BTC will have its own anon options with projects such as Coinjoin or Darkwallet which will make theses alts obsolete and pointless.

I think you've probably got that the wrong way around.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: