Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 05:46:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AT vs. Ethereum - what direction are we headed in?  (Read 3292 times)
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 04:50:25 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 07:26:34 AM by CIYAM

Some people may already be aware that AT has been launched on a mainnet (via the Burst altcoin - http://www.theuknews.com/index.php/nav/newsr/5228) providing Turing complete "smart contracts" including the world's first decentralised Lottery (which is already running).

Whilst CIYAM Developers have *zero* VC funding nor any IPO funds we have however managed to create our "smart contracts" implementation and see it through to launching on a mainnet in a relatively short space of time (no easy feat)

It has been noted that the fact that currently ATs have to be written in an "assembly" language makes them not easy to develop but at the same time it should be noted that we are looking into using LLVM in order to allow ATs to be written in C or C++.

The Ethereum project have not only decided to not use any well known high level language (they have created their own) but they are also now forking a web browser (something that we have no plan to do as we think most people are simply not going to want to change their browser).

Also AT has been designed from the start to work on multiple blockchains (i.e. relatively easy to integrate with any alt and will get easier as we progress) and we plan to be able to demonstrate an "atomic cross-chain transfer" within the next month.

It is a "David vs. Goliath" issue that we face but we feel that providing a system that supports major existing high level programming languages and all main browsers and allowing all blockchains to join in is perhaps something that might be more appealing to the devs in this field compared to the Ethereum approach.

AT documentation can be found here: http://ciyam.org/at (and yes it is rather technical)

Your comments are welcome.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 05:17:06 PM

/begin rant

I think it's interesting that in the us gov, at very high levels, including the treasury, we have a bunch of former goldmansachs employees.

They are " former" employees.

Then when their gov term is up they often get rehired. This known as the revolving door. It is this revolving door that has blurred the lines between golmansachs and the us treasury, they might as well be one and the same.

Etherium has 2 "former" goldmansachs employees. "Former" employees, until they get rehired.

Who the fuck are they fooling? Maybe a 20 year old vitalik?

/End rant..

Good job CIYAM very impressive.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 05:32:58 PM

We have a very simple policy - we don't *hire* people (be they from a GS background or any other).

Instead we promote the idea that those that are interested in the project can contribute (with actual coding or other useful things).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 05:41:47 PM

A bit misleading when you say mainnet but it's an alt.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 05:43:08 PM

Not sure why that is misleading - we have never said that it is running on Bitcoin.

(so you are saying that alts don't have mainnet's at all?)

I don't think Ethereum is going to be launching on Bitcoin either (or do have evidence that they are going to do that?).

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 05:51:47 PM

Not sure why that is misleading - we have never said that it is running on Bitcoin.

(so you are saying that alts don't have mainnet's at all?)

I don't think Ethereum is going to be launching on Bitcoin either (or do have evidence that they are going to do that?).

Well, I didn't say alts don't have mainnet, but it's still a bit misleading.

In any case, I personally have no idea nor any desire to find out what Ethereum is. As for your project, what exactly is it useful for(to the point where it is necessary to create a new high-level programming language)?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 05:54:55 PM

Well, I didn't say alts don't have mainnet, but it's still a bit misleading.

I'd be keen to know why you still think it is misleading (we have no intention to mislead anyone).

In any case, I personally have no idea nor any desire to find out what Ethereum is. As for your project, what exactly is it useful for?

It allows people to create general "smart contracts" so the exact same use that Ethereum has. Also we have developed an "atomic cross-chain transfer" AT that will allow for peer to peer trading of digital currencies *without a trusted 3rd party*. I think that has at least some real worth to people.

As to creating a new "high-level language" we are not doing that (but Ethereum is).

slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:24:26 PM

Some people may already be aware that AT has been launched on a mainnet (via the Burst altcoin - http://www.theuknews.com/index.php/nav/newsr/5228) providing Turing complete "smart contracts" including the world's first decentralised Lottery (which is already running).

Whilst CIYAM Developers have *zero* VC funding nor any IPO funds we have however managed to create our "smart contracts" implementation and see it through to launching on a mainnet in a relatively short space of time (no easy feat)

It has been noted that the fact that currently ATs have to be written in an "assembly" language makes them not easy to develop but at the same time it should be noted that we are looking into using LLVM in order to allow ATs to be written in C or C++.

The Ethereum project have not only decided to not use any well known high level language (they have created their own) but they are also now forking a web browser (something that we have no plan to do as we think most people are simply not going to want to change their browser).

Also AT has been designed from the start to work on multiple blockchains (i.e. relatively easy to integrate with any alt and will get easier as we progress) and we plan to be able to demonstrate an "atomic cross-chain transfer" within the next month.

It is a "David vs. Goliath" issue that we face but we feel that providing a system that supports major existing high level programming languages and all main browsers and allowing all blockchains to join in is perhaps something that might be more appealing to the devs in this field compared to the Ethereum approach.

Your comments are welcome.

Can you link me the white paper?
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 06:26:11 PM

For AT you can see the design here: http://ciyam.org/at

The first document is the main technical description of how AT works.

Interestingly it seems that CIYAM is being DDoS attacked right now.

slaveforanunnak1

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:26:48 PM

sanks!
EDIT:  sorry dawg, it  doesn't work!

I can resolve ciyam to 69.160.255.187 but destination host is unreachable.

tubes are clogged

how are you guys securing the blockchain? what is the consensus mechanism ?
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:31:41 PM

I still don't see why I should invest in anything that isn't MAIDSafe, it's the original project (started in 2006) and has lots of interesting stuff already shown. How are the other MAID alternatives any better?
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 06:32:33 PM

I can resolve ciyam to 69.160.255.187 but destination host is unreachable.

Yes - maybe we are being attacked by those that don't want to see us succeed (it should be working again in a few minutes).

how are you guys securing the blockchain? what is the consensus mechanism ?

AT is blockchain "agnostic" (so it doesn't care how the host blockchain does that).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 06:41:00 PM

Link should be fine now.

vbcs

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

AT - Automated Transactions - CIYAM Developer

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:54:29 PM

Yes link is up and running again.

Here you can see the main specs: http://www.ciyam.org/at/at.html

and the API calls here: http://www.ciyam.org/at/at_api.html

You will also notice some tests. These tests are using the older version of the AT as well as some of the use cases are using the old API and they will be updated soon.

Also there is a link to the .cpp prototype. http://www.ciyam.org/at/_at.cpp.html

We will be glad to answer any questions regarding the provided informations.

1ELCU3hahFLMPPqsoHS2Mg2Rqjya6VXjAW
slaveforanunnak1

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 07:11:27 PM

lot of stuff to chew...
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 06:16:11 AM

I still don't see why I should invest in anything that isn't MAIDSafe, it's the original project (started in 2006) and has lots of interesting stuff already shown. How are the other MAID alternatives any better?

That project was not about "smart contracts" but about P2P storage and it is not designed to be incorporated into existing blockchains (so apples and pears).

threecats

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:54:23 AM

Escapes me why so many projects feel they have to tear Ethereum down in the process of explaining their own virtues. As for the comment about refusing to look at Ethereum, there is a good reason they are building their own browser, and its a very interesting one. To say that people  will not want to switch their browsers is to say people would never want to switch from autos to air travel. Ethereum envisions a different web experience for the average user. Not just of the same web, but a different kind of web in which the current web is just one dimension.

Personally I am no Ethereum fanboy but I think it is a very interesting project.

OP: I would have been interested in learning about AT but the OP does not say what it is or link to any information.
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:21:02 AM

i'm watching this post to educate myself.. not sure what all of this means but in the coming days i hope to have a better grasp on the subject.

layman's terms would help a bit.. i know about turing and etherium but this whole post is nonsense to me at this point.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 07:24:27 AM

Personally I am no Ethereum fanboy but I think it is a very interesting project.

It is - as is Codius and all three projects have their respective strengths and weaknesses.

OP: I would have been interested in learning about AT but the OP does not say what it is or link to any information.

Sorry - documentation is here: http://ciyam.org/at but understand it is really aimed at devs (so is very technical) - I have added the link to the OP.

dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:35:44 AM

Do you know what a 'testnet' is?

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: