Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:22:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Pay and BTC  (Read 2088 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:34:09 PM

I heard on TV this morning that Apple had a huge quarter, selling LOTS of iPhones.  I also have been seeing retailers here-and-there accepting Apple's payment system.  Unfortunately I know nothing about Apple's new system

Apple's payment system seems to catching on!  What kind of risks does AAPL provide re Bitcoin's ecosystem?

Once one "new thing" catches on big, that first mover has a tremendous advantage.  First player advantage.  

Will BTC lose to Apple?
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 07:27:19 PM

I heard on TV this morning that Apple had a huge quarter, selling LOTS of iPhones.  I also have been seeing retailers here-and-there accepting Apple's payment system.  Unfortunately I know nothing about Apple's new system

Apple's payment system seems to catching on!  What kind of risks does AAPL provide re Bitcoin's ecosystem?

Once one "new thing" catches on big, that first mover has a tremendous advantage.  First player advantage.  

Will BTC lose to Apple?

I think Apple pay will remain for awhile but not pose a single threat to Bitcoin.

Every computer I have at my house can run Bitcoin, all my phones, tablets etc. Only iPhones/iPads and Mac computers will be able to use Apple pay.

Bitcoin is open source, which means it will run on any device in the future which has specifications sufficient. For Apple pay to catch on everyone will need to adapt to using apples quickly aging devices, when was the last time their phones innovated?

I think Android device adoption is higher than iOS which means the majority of all handheld devices will not be able to use Apple pay. Why would vendors/investors and the likes build any infrastructure that cant be used by everyone in the world.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 07:49:02 PM

ApplePay uses NFC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication).  Some Android phones have NFC, various credit cards, smart cards etc also have NFC.  ApplePay is roughly just scanning your credit card into your phone, then using NFC to share a different pseudo-credit-card-number with another NFC device at checkout, for example.  This protects your real number so even if a store's systems are hacked, they can't use your number.

You could use a bitcoin wallet App to share keys over NFC to spend bitcoin (depending  on the device, whether the NFC API was public etc) whether the merchant accepted bitcoin etc.

Apple Pay is essentially Apple's branding of NFC with their software to protect your credit card info. (Debit too, iirc).

Here is a bit more:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-nfc-works-and-mobile-payments/
SOAD

Activity: 324

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:23:15 PM

Will BTC lose to Apple?

They're both payment processors but also completely different. Apple pay is just another way to transact fiat and is centralized whereas bitcoin is decentralized and a revolutionary system all by itself. Sure, applepay may have many more users but that's not the point and bitcoin has many other benefits than just being a payment processor.

Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 08:25:09 PM

Will BTC lose to Apple?

Bitcoin wins ofcourse .
ApplePay is just another payment method to transfer money around and and it's centralized , It's far away from being a threat for Bitcoin.

KizerWilhelm

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:34:33 PM

The first 1 into the market is not always an advantage. Often others will see the mistakes made by the first 1 and improve on it.
Remember Apple and Microsoft?
PodBayDoors

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:43:33 PM

Oh, look, you can buy credit card numbers on the internet, scan them into ApplePay, and go on a spending spree with your phone. Whee!

Just another walled garden. A huge, successful, powerful walled garden...just like AOL was. Just another extra middleman workaround. Next battle is Alibaba versus Amazon, gee who do I think can give better prices, the middleman or the guy who actually manufactured the thing? It's about the end points.

AliPay is non-repudiable. They got refused a banking license in China however, a big political deal. China Mobile is putting RMB on a SIM card with global roaming. This stuff it gettin' real
Shattered

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 09:45:22 PM

This is like saying:
Now that the microwave has been invented, will everyone throw their stoves on the curb for the garbage man?

Apple Pay poses little to no thread to BTC whatsoever
RealKruncha

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 10:13:44 PM

This is like saying:
Now that the microwave has been invented, will everyone throw their stoves on the curb for the garbage man?

Apple Pay poses little to no thread to BTC whatsoever

haha, i like that, and share the same thoughts.

K.
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 11:08:22 PM

BTC will win apple pay will lose and adopt BTC payments no doubt in the future.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
thompete

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 11:12:31 PM

Will BTC lose to Apple?

Whenever you see a merchant accepting apple pay, ask them if they accept bitcoin. If they say no, then walk away in front of them.
Do that every week . Wink

crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 11:32:14 PM

Will BTC lose to Apple?

Whenever you see a merchant accepting apple pay, ask them if they accept bitcoin. If they say no, then walk away in front of them.
Do that every week . Wink

Id be more direct and say ok so your accepting apple pay, so you must hear do Bitcoin why not accept that and have less fess to worrie about and turn the chunk on and take a chunk out of apples book like MS did and give them an infomation pack good way to promote BTC too lol

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:41:16 AM

crazyearner and thompete !!

I tried that once at Starbucks, and got that priceless combination of befuddlement and "what planet are you from" look from the ignorant wanker...

And, alas, the cashiers at our only local supermarket are no better.  They take Apple Pay though.

Thank you to all of you above!  Although no expert, I am learning as fast as I can about Bitcoinistan™, and I do have a dog in this hunt.  Since my "cost basis" is still higher than BTC's current price, I guess I should buy some moar BTC.

And tuck 'em away in my Trezor and Ledger!

Smiley
CloakT

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:45:24 AM

Apple pay just makes it easier to use your credit card right? Btc is very different/
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 05:05:02 AM

Nearly every store in Australia has payway.  Tap your debit and credit card and move on.  Apple pay would be slower than this anyway.
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:49:33 AM

Can you receive money with Apple Pay?

Bitcoin wins.
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:25:35 AM

Maybe Apple Pay will integrate Bitcoin as a payment option down the track? Smiley
Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 10:38:13 AM

Maybe Apple Pay will integrate Bitcoin as a payment option down the track? Smiley

Big chance yeah , why not Grin
If you can't beat them (Apple cant beat bitcoin) , join them (Apple join bitcoin world).  Roll Eyes

gjgjg

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 12:28:59 PM

Apple made more money in the last quarter than any other public company in history - enough money in the last 3 months to buy every person in the USA 1 iphone6 at retail price! holy hell :-s

but in the long term BTC is still on a better position as this NFP system is just an extension of the current status quo system progressing towards a BTC like system. BTC has many more and better features and is way more future proof.

plus im sure that someone will find a nasty hack soon for nfp on iphones causing panic and mistrust in the system :p (not that i wish people to lose their money, but theres no way id trust iphone nfp unless its been safely used (tested) for several years first.

it also gets people used to the idea of paying for things in this type of way, so people would probably use the iphnfp system for a while then would be more prepared/trusting of btc systems in the future.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Q7

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 12:58:27 PM

It's two different playing field. One a payment system and another a currency. So no matter what bitcoin will always have a certain level of advantage which apple pay will not be able to grab hold on.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: