Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:24:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idling at 75 - 80 degrees! Graphics card issue!  (Read 720 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 08:08:02 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2015, 08:21:02 PM by Lethn

Well I've been spending most of the day trying to sort this out, some of you may already know I have recently had to RMA an old MSI Lightning 6970 and in return I got a refurbished MSI R7950 and I thought, fair enough, as long as it lasts me for another year and doesn't have any ridiculous issues I'll be happy. Low and fucking behold, I have run into temperature spike issues, normally the culprits as I'm sure you know would be things like, dust, case airflow or bad seating or a slightly loose plug.

So far I have found none of this to be the case, the damn thing should be working normally, after that it's normally a driver problem, I tried doing a clean sweep of my drivers and using auto detect but I had some very odd reactions from my GPU on it which makes me wonder how well this card is supported, I used the auto detect utility in the end just to be on the safe side but I pretty much got the same results. Games? Oh fuck me games are a whole other nightmare, you try loading up something like Dragon Age or Dying Light on this thing it will spike up to nearly 110 degrees for no fucking reason.

I would very much appreciate some help on this, at this point it may be easier day trading my way to a brand new card than dealing with the RMA process, just so you know, I'm keeping an eye on the temperatures using MSI Afterburner and Speccy etc. Oh and for some reason now the temperature has decided it's 35 degrees idle, that may have to do with the fact that it managed to shut down when I tried keeping it running to see how things went, I am also setting the fans to 100% on afterburner to keep things cool.

I daren't mess with games again because I'm worried I might trigger something lol this is a totally different graphics card so I don't know what will set it off.

Note: Hope I'm not speaking to soon but since my rage attempt at fixing the thing I seem to be getting stable temperatures on CSS, terrified of trying anything on higher detail though lol

Before I forget, here's a link to the exact model: http://uk.msi.com/product/vga/R79502PMD3GD5OC.html#hero-specification

I'll leave this here just in case it all starts going horribly wrong again.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 08:22:10 PM

It sounds like something is wrong with the temp reader, I've never had a card go over ~85 before having it give out with some sort of error.  I'm pretty sure your card would be permafried if it actually hit 110

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 08:56:26 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2015, 10:29:51 PM by Lethn

I'll try testing things again because it might have been something as simple as a loose cable but I'll need to check it all out.

Okay, I have Dragon Age running again, it's interesting, but it's reporting 94 degrees or so but the card actually feels very cool, so maybe my original issue was just a loose cable, can refurbished cards be like this and still run fine? You might be right that it's just the temperature reader going haywire though I don't have detailed knowledge about components like that but I'm not seeing an increase in how hot it actually feels.

Edit: Okay so here's my theory, probably DOA or whatever they've done to refurbish it has made the card underpowered so it can't really deal with anything high detail I'll need to check out some other low poly games to see if my theory is correct, if they all work fine then I guess I'll just have to stick with them until I save up for a brand new card.

I'll report back if anything changes but I think it is purely just the card, it seems to be only capable of handling pretty low poly games but I'll need to try things out a bit before I know for sure again, it doesn't seem to be the temperature reader, that's reporting stable again.

Edit 2: FUCKS sake, nope, it's pretty much happening with anything requiring 3D, sigh, let this be a lesson to you guys never accept refurbished replacements, I may have to make a call this week but I don't know if I can be bothered anymore.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 11:23:33 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 12:52:23 PM by Lethn

Aha! I didn't know about gpu-z this is very helpful, lots of detailed information on all the different sensors the graphics card has, should I make a log? I've also emailed the support to ask how they got everything running, I hope they tested things properly, it may be I just installed the drivers badly.

Edit: okay well trying to install latest drivers and making sure everything was right made some alarming issues come up like constant black screening so I think this card is DOA, I will now buy a cheap Nvidia card to keep me happy while I get this b.s. sorted, hope this turns out simple to fix.

Very odd because they told me they had tested it which makes me wonder how long they actually tried it for.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 03:01:09 PM

Okay, just to let you guys know, it definitely is the cards fault, I just got a brand new very cheap Nvidia card ( yeah suck it ATI ) to test things and low and behold not only was installing the drivers far easier because they actually let you download drivers by fucking product the temperatures were completely solid and very cool the card I have in now is stuck at around 44 degrees which I'm very happy with.

Fuck you MSI and ATI! Fuck youuuu! -_- I swear I don't know what it is but I have nothing but problems whenever I buy ATI cards.
Bananana

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 03:13:35 PM

I have had a lot of AMD GPU and some are MSI graphic card, don't have the issues you are talking about. Are you sure you know what you are doing?

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 03:14:37 PM

I have had a lot of AMD GPU and some are MSI graphic card, don't have the issues you are talking about. Are you sure you know what you are doing?

Well it's refurbished so I'm not surprised if it would have problems but ehhh if the Nvidia card has gone in fine I question it deeply.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: