Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:45:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best/Cheapest Device for streaming Netflix??  (Read 780 times)
snarlpill (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 05:21:39 PM

Hey everybody, 

Here's what's up. We have a Playstation 3 hooked up and watch Netflix through it daily, and love it. I would gladly use only Netflix and just pay their $7 a month over any other cable/satellite/television plans. So, needless to say- I am very satisfied with Netflix streaming.

I had been wanting to turn my parents on to Netflix for a while now, and planned to do so as a Christmas present for them- setting it up and paying the first few months or year for them. I knew they had a small Bluray player that, although they never used, had the capability to stream Netflix through it via WiFi connection. So on Christmas day I came over and had the intention of getting everything plugged in, connected, and creating a Netflix account for them, only to find out that I could not by any means pick up any wireless internet from their Bluray player. Even though it's supposedly WiFi capable, their Bluray will not work to pick up the signal to connect through.

So, basically I need to find a good device that is WiFi compatible and can stream Netflix for my parents. Preferably one that is simple and cheaper, as I don't have a ton of extra cash right now. I almost wish I could just get them a used Playstation 3, just because I know how simple & easy it is to shuffle through and play Netflix shows/movies with the Playstation controller. However, that would be overdoing it for them (a whole big PS3 system) and I can't afford to buy another PS3 at the moment.

From looking into this myself, I have been thinking about getting the "Roku 1" Streaming Device. It's $50 but seems very simple to set-up (just hook up via HDMI cable) and use (comes with a remote), and after I pay the $50 I wouldn't have to pay anything else; no monthly charges or anything like that for it just what I will be paying for their Netflix subscription- $7 a month.

Does anybody have any experience with the Roku 1, other Roku streaming devices, or have any advice to give on what would be a good & fair-priced solution to my problem? I appreciate any and all help with this matter, thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

-snarlpill

bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:42:40 PM

Chromecast (http://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/) $35

It's basically a Roku Stick but it's got a number of integration features with android and its cheaper

{ BitSpill }
snarlpill (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 07:02:18 PM

Interesting. Yeah I had seen that in stores by the Rokus, and liked what I read about it + the price was nicer. However, from what I can tell it doesn't come with a remote, correct? I think you have to use your smartphone or tablet as a remote. My parents do have smartphones now, but just recently got them and I know they still aren't 100% comfortable with them. Especially to have to use their phone as a remote anytime they wanted to pause something/rewind/etc. I feel like that would be a pain in the ass for them and cancel out a lot of the ease and convenience that Netflix offers.

Thanks for your input bitspill! Let me know if you know anything different about the remote situation or if you can get a cheap one for it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: