Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:19:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: As Bitcoin crashes to the abyss altcoins will become independant in price  (Read 1889 times)
homo homini lupus (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 10:52:25 PM

Let's say it crashes to 50$ - you think all alts will become worthless aswell? There will be alts with real value in them and therefore with community backing which coins will be resilient enough to hold their price in USD terms or even rise. So altcoins is the place to be at right now IMO.
Alts have been oversold since months and pretty much all of the older ones clearly hit the bottom and some are even rising.

First signs of priceindependance can be observed currently.
Bitcoin doom: altcoins to the moon ┗(°0°)┛

Don't count on bitcoin, this  bearmarket could go on for a while. Invest in improved coins while Bitcoin is busy bleeding.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 10:55:54 PM

Both BTC and (some) alts can have great success, it doesn't always need to be a battle.

relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 10:58:46 PM

I see no reason for this to happen, expect a lot of alts to go down to near-zero if Bitcoin drops that low.
chaoman

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:16:21 PM

alt coins are priced based on btc. say a doge is worth 60 satoshi, if btc goes really low are you saying 1 doge = 1 btc? that would be impossible because only 21 mil btc.
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:18:05 PM

So why do you get altcoin charts, with them moving in respect to BTC?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:18:36 PM

If a non BTC coin starts to really go places, I think it'll be born a long, long way away from this forum.

A true alternative would have zero relation to BTC.
homo homini lupus (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:19:59 PM

I see no reason for this to happen, expect a lot of alts to go down to near-zero if Bitcoin drops that low.

alt coins are priced based on btc. say a doge is worth 60 satoshi, if btc goes really low are you saying 1 doge = 1 btc? that would be impossible because only 21 mil btc.

thinking altcoins would have no independant value could turn out to be a really bad misconception

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=940537

I don't know about you but i'm buying Litecoin right now ... it's faster than Bitcoin too!
Bernard Lerring

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:22:40 PM

That was partly why I replied to chaoman. You can't say that alts will always be seen as relative to BTC. It doesn't make sense. There are lots of other variables. Look at PoS coins. They often aren't as affected by BTC ups and downs.
homo homini lupus (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:25:12 PM

flipstyle

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:25:21 PM

Ah, some sense!

Now...since btc is based on the dollar, what happens in the bitcoiner's wet dream scenario where the dollar completely crumbles.  Considering there's only 20 million bitcoin and several billion people in the world.

homo homini lupus (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:27:46 PM

Ah, some sense!

Now...since btc is based on the dollar, what happens in the bitcoiner's wet dream scenario where the dollar completely crumbles.  Considering there's only 20 million bitcoin and several billion people in the world.

You are thinking in your bitcoin box that's why you will be taken by surprise  Grin

Nothing stops $$$ from going into alts with the use of btc or with direct fiat exchange. So the number of BTC or its marketcap is irrelevant in this.

Man, soon i'll charge you for my posts.

Bitcoin is an antique coin with bad fundamentals. It really can't compete with the alts after the broken promises. The lid will be blown off. Even Litecoin has more utility and is more advanced than BTC.

To see clear all you need to do is shrug off the Bitcoin-hype.
Bernard Lerring

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:32:17 PM

True. If BTC fails and there's a demand for alts then more websites allowing exchange of fiat straight to alts will exist. Supply and demand.
homo homini lupus (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:36:35 PM

I could even imagine Bitcoin briefly rising in price in this scenario before crashing hard. Average Joe will demand Dogecoin and other coins especially because he's not an early adopter of BTC. So there is also that psychological and rational aspect besides the technical aspect and the broken hype aspect.
relm9

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:47:23 PM

thinking altcoins would have no independant value could turn out to be a really bad misconception

I don't know about you but i'm buying Litecoin right now ... it's faster than Bitcoin too!

Some alts may not be as hard hit from a further drop in BTC price, but I am 99% sure Litecoin won't be one of them, good luck though.
homo homini lupus (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:49:03 PM

Some alts may not be as hard hit from a further drop in BTC price, but I am 99% sure Litecoin won't be one of them, good luck though.

that's in fact good you (and others) are so sure because if you were unsure it wouldn't qualify as black swan  Grin

Litecoin up 800% , Bitcoin down 60%, then we can talk ...

(i found this other thread-> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=940537 after i posted this one btw)
flipstyle

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:56:18 PM

Ah, some sense!

You are thinking in your bitcoin box that's why you will be taken by surprise  Grin

Nothing stops $$$ from going into alts with the use of btc or with direct fiat exchange. So the number of BTC or its marketcap is irrelevant in this.

Bitcoin is an antique coin with bad fundamentals. It really can't compete with the alts after the broken promises. The lid will be blown off. Even Litecoin has more utility and is more advanced than BTC.

I think you need to charge yourself.  In no way did you refute my inquiry, and somehow you get this egregious notion that I'm a bitcoin die-hard.  You must be new.
homo homini lupus (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:00:08 AM

Ah, some sense!

I think you need to charge yourself.  In no way did you refute my inquiry, and somehow you get this egregious notion that I'm a bitcoin die-hard.  You must be new.

In case the dollar crumbles all coins will go to the moon - not only Bitcoin. In fact the most hefty gains will be made in alts.

But most normal people will go to exchange liquor, cigarettes and precious metals instead of papermoney because they don't know how to handle cryptocoins.
homo homini lupus (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:36:36 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 12:56:37 AM by homo homini lupus

Both BTC and (some) alts can have great success, it doesn't always need to be a battle.

That's true, but bitcoin had its 5 minutes fame already.
The relation altcoins<->BTC is out of frame and market will need to turn rational at some point. Bitcoin is wildly overpriced compared to technically better alts which are oversold. There is a big discrepancy which will eventually have to go away.

Bitcoin is as good as any other coin. And other coins are as secure as bitcoin (with hash) if they would have the same cap. So hashrate isn't an argument for BTC. Merchant adoption is no fundamental metric. So in that regard Bitcoin will get under the bus most likely rather sooner than later. Its fundamentals don't hold up against many alts - not even against Litecoin actually. First mover advantage is going to wear off at some point.

Tipping point approaching.

Bitcoin is: slow, old, inefficient and expensive
Alts are: fast, new, efficient and cheap

The best you can do is embrace it.
homo homini lupus (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 02:21:36 AM

Most of the altcoins have their prices based on bitcoin.

That will have to change in the future
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 02:52:03 AM

Of course not, doge and nearly all alts will go down at the same rate as btc. Look at the mkt caps - they follow btc with every up and down. I don't know what the future for crypto is, but right now it's looking really bad. I've made some decent money this last year and had a lot of fun, but I'm on the verge of cashing out (what little btc I haven't already cashed out) and moving on. This has made me really sad lately, like I said it's been so entertaining.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: