Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:03:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebranding - Using the term Blockchain vs Bitcoin  (Read 1713 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 08:44:27 PM

blockchain is a part of bitcoin, like death is a part of the life
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:43:27 PM

Why would you want to use a separate blockchain when you have an existing, extensible technology?  All these kind of "projects" will give bitcoin more worth and intrinsic value.

Use the existing blockchain for EVERYTHING - it makes it more powerful actually if everyone is involved with everything. 

I don't get how smart contracts working on top of Bitcoin (but not being Bitcoin themselves) will give Bitcoin “more intrinsic value”. Bitcoin is already worthy by its own merits. We don't need a savior project (or a “killer app” as these people like to call it, or whatever) to give Bitcoin value.

Also, about everything using the same blockchain... Well, it can be both. You can either use Bitcoin's blochckain for this, or create a new one (I'm not sure if that would be an alt coin or not). I guess it doesn't matter. It is just my opinion (and nothing else) that the blockchain should be exclusively used for money.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
R2D221

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:44:35 PM

Death is the absence of life. Are you saying that the blockchain is the absence of bitcoin? Or otherwise?

koinvict

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 02:38:27 PM

Death is the absence of life. Are you saying that the blockchain is the absence of bitcoin? Or otherwise?

It's reversed.  bitcoin is a part of the blockchain.  Let's not forget that Bitcoin is a trustless consensus - currency is an app or extension of this consensus.  bitcoin is stronger than just a currency - the blockchain can serve as the backbone to all future endeavors that need a 3rd party as a consensus.

It is just my opinion (and nothing else) that the blockchain should be exclusively used for money.

That's like buying a computer solely for the purpose of checking your email.
R2D221

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:52:49 PM

It is just my opinion (and nothing else) that the blockchain should be exclusively used for money.

Which most people do.

HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:54:08 PM

Well, I think this is going to confuse people even more. Bitcoins are the name of the "brand" and the tokens used to denominate value in the Bitcoin ecosystem. They're stored on the Blockchain, or rather in addresses about whose balance the Blockchain keeps track. I do get your idea, but I don't think this is going to help Bitcoin!

Mr Moustache

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:56:59 PM

Which most people do.

Really? I think most people don't do this. A more apt analogy would be buying a smartphone just to call people. People use phones and computers for a wide range of things and if you just wanted to check email a phone or tablet would be better. I think the fact that the blockchain can be used for a multitude of things just ads to bitcoins value as a technology.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 05:27:37 PM

Which most people do.

Really? I think most people don't do this. A more apt analogy would be buying a smartphone just to call people. People use phones and computers for a wide range of things and if you just wanted to check email a phone or tablet would be better. I think the fact that the blockchain can be used for a multitude of things just ads to bitcoins value as a technology.

Well the Bitcoin blockchain is and will be used primarily for money. You could have other chains dedicated for other purposes. The only problem I see is that people need an incentive to "mine" that chain. With Bitcoin you get the block reward and transaction fees, but having a useful new Blockchain may not prove to be incentive enough for people to mine it.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 07:20:03 PM

Chain --> String --> Kamba (Swahili)
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 07:22:28 PM

Do people use the world "Bitcoin" when they're referring to "blockchain"?

I don't think they do, but maybe I'm wrong.

homo homini lupus

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 07:24:14 PM

I think this would really be a great PR move. People say things like "use the internet". It sounds much better to say "Put it on the blockchain" rather than to say "use bitcoin"

The more people refer to the Blockchain as the protocol, and Bitcoin as the currency, the better.

Bitcoin invented the blockchain, the usage of blockchain should automatically refer to Bitcoin.

Bitcoin also sounds like a brand, whereas "Blockchain" sounds more neutral.

I think we, the community, should make an effort to refer to the protocol as "the" blockchain. And refer to the currency as bitcoin.

'THE blockchain' doesn't exist - it is 'the blockchain of bitcoin'
There are hundreds of other blockchains out there.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: