Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:02:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you ready to send your IDs to verify an account on a bitcoin Exchange  (Read 2338 times)
Indacoin (OP)

Activity: 459
Merit: 250

https://indacoin.com/

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 11:06:56 AM

Obviously different exchanges got different rules regarding account verification. For instance Bitstamp wont let you trade at all without submitting lots of docs. On the other hand there are some exchanges like btc-e.com or indacoin.com that let you sell bitcoins and withdraw USD without any verification. Whats your attitude? Are you ready to send you passport copies and utility bills to verify the account? Why?
Dilemma

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:29:27 AM

no , i dont
i idont want share my special info to a lot of web site..
and it will not safe for investor

Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:34:43 PM

I did some years ago, but I've realized that it was a stupid thing to do. They all get hacked or turn rogue, and then they can use it to steal your identity.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 12:48:52 PM

No, I don't trust those exchanges with my ID. What will happen is someday they will claim they were hacked and user data got stolen and then one day you'll come to know that your ID was used for some illegal trade or worse and then you're proper fucked.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 01:05:12 PM

With the right exchange (for example https://BIT-X.com which is a trademark of XBIT Ltd., a licensed Forex participant) there is minimal risk by sending necessary verification documents to be able to use the exchange fully.
Indacoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 02:21:58 PM

But how do you deposit money on those exchanges, that dont ask for verification? Eventually bank transfer option wont be available in such case
fenghush

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 02:29:23 PM

I would rather patrol the streets naked as God made me than to send some company a picture of my ID. Not only that method of verification is utterly flawed, it's incredibly stupid and risky if they get compromised, which they eventually will be.

Outlander
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 02:39:35 PM

Ehm, I never do that for exchange, I will stop when they start ask the docs for verification, but I did it in forex.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 02:50:54 PM

The problem for me is that it is hard to trust an exchange that does not comply with AML/KYC laws. Any such exchange may decide to not follow the laws about giving me my money back either. And if they are operating illegally then they likely have an exit plan. One that involves your money and a passport.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Indacoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 02:55:49 PM

The problem for me is that it is hard to trust an exchange that does not comply with AML/KYC laws. Any such exchange may decide to not follow the laws about giving me my money back either. And if they are operating illegally then they likely have an exit plan. One that involves your money and a passport.

There is almost no correlation between the compliance with KYC and Exchange reliability. Take for example Mtgox that asked for documentation and btc-e that almost dont do that
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:01:20 PM

There is almost no correlation between the compliance with KYC and Exchange reliability. Take for example Mtgox that asked for documentation and btc-e that almost dont do that

Sure. The most trustworthy people could be behind a darknet exchange and if Bank of America got involved they could be a legally compliant criminal enterprise. But an exchange that tries evading the law will not last forever and when it falls apart you will have little recourse to recover any funds. It may be hard in any case, but the judge is not going to award you money you were using to evade taxes.

Indacoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 03:06:13 PM

i ve added a new poll here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=941110.0
Indacoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 04:03:36 PM

Sure. The most trustworthy people could be behind a darknet exchange and if Bank of America got involved they could be a legally compliant criminal enterprise. But an exchange that tries evading the law will not last forever and when it falls apart you will have little recourse to recover any funds. It may be hard in any case, but the judge is not going to award you money you were using to evade taxes.

Why do you think if an exchange doesn't ask for KYC it evades the law? For instance if you deposit money to the exchange though the payment system, this payment system is responsible for checking the client. That is the question - should an exchange ask for KYC on its own or delegate this process to the partner payment system
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:30:00 PM

Why do you think if an exchange doesn't ask for KYC it evades the law? For instance if you deposit money to the exchange though the payment system, this payment system is responsible for checking the client. That is the question - should an exchange ask for KYC on its own or delegate this process to the partner payment system

In the US there are laws that require an exchange to keep records that make it hard to launder money. I don't know the answer to your question, but it is a good question to ask and may help some exchanges to have some flexibility.

Indacoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 05:08:58 PM

In the US there are laws that require an exchange to keep records that make it hard to launder money. I don't know the answer to your question, but it is a good question to ask and may help some exchanges to have some flexibility.

thats why we we created that post - trying to understand the needs of the clients. At the current moment our users don't have to send us documents to verify the account - so they can easily register and start trading. But we are thinking about adding an option to deposit/withdraw money with a bank transfer and of course this can not be done without KYC
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

But how do you deposit money on those exchanges, that dont ask for verification? Eventually bank transfer option wont be available in such case

Check out the about page in the site in my signature.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:37:01 PM

that is the theory

now in practice, Gox was the first to request KYC info and the first to go out of business, while btc-e is not asking for KYC and they are the most reliable exchange up to this day

in addition Gox was hacked so it is possible that lots of passport scans are in the hands of hackers - which can lead to extreme problems due to ID theft

I would recommend OP to buy coins in the forum or from localbitcoins or mycelium, if he just needs a few, and only register with an exchange if he wants to buy large amounts of coins on a regular basis

to answer Indacoins earlier question I would prefer a verification by a partner financial institution, because they are less likely to be hacked than an exchange, and in addition it would make sure that, if verification requirements are increased at some point, the existing exchange account is not affected but only future fiat transfers.

worst is if exchanges increase verification requirements and then hold the entire funds hostage!! (gox, paypal etc.)

Truth is the new hatespeech.
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:15:36 AM

personally i won't send my personal information and documents to an online bitcoin exchange, we are in crypto world where we believe in anonymity and sending documents won't keep us anonymous anymore
some exchanges request them because they are regulated or don't want to be charged for money laundering for allowing anonymous accounts
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:55:38 AM

Obviously different exchanges got different rules regarding account verification. For instance Bitstamp wont let you trade at all without submitting lots of docs. On the other hand there are some exchanges like btc-e.com or indacoin.com that let you sell bitcoins and withdraw USD without any verification. Whats your attitude? Are you ready to send you passport copies and utility bills to verify the account? Why?

People already did for mtgox or bitstamp.
Indacoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 05:42:13 PM

personally i won't send my personal information and documents to an online bitcoin exchange, we are in crypto world where we believe in anonymity and sending documents won't keep us anonymous anymore
some exchanges request them because they are regulated or don't want to be charged for money laundering for allowing anonymous accounts

and how would you sell bitcoins and withdraw them to your bank account or credit/debit card? Or you dont need such an option
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: