Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:42:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does CEX work?  (Read 1386 times)
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 01:52:29 PM

If CEX initially sells the mining power for say 0.01 BTC / GH, it presumably receives the 0.01 BTC which it uses to pay for electricity and the miners that are used.

Surely, that 0.01 BTC will soon run out with electricity and maintenance costs, so, where does the other income come from to pay for that, since the mining power GH is then traded between users, not bought directly from CEX.

So then, what about people that have put their BTC into this service and purchased mining power. I presume that currently they're getting 0 returns since the cloud mining service is turned off?

*Image Removed*
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 02:41:58 PM

Video explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hTnEG5bno

BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:35:58 PM

I would be careful as most cloud mining operations seem to be partial or full ponzi's . I don't know of any that will even give you virgin coins anymore.
Cicero69

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:41:55 PM

This sounds like something people should stay clear of.
oldbute

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:57:54 PM

They charge a maintenance fee https://cex.io/maintenance
Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 05:58:38 PM

If CEX initially sells the mining power for say 0.01 BTC / GH, it presumably receives the 0.01 BTC which it uses to pay for electricity and the miners that are used.

Surely, that 0.01 BTC will soon run out with electricity and maintenance costs, so, where does the other income come from to pay for that, since the mining power GH is then traded between users, not bought directly from CEX.

So then, what about people that have put their BTC into this service and purchased mining power. I presume that currently they're getting 0 returns since the cloud mining service is turned off?

Well yeah Of course I guess they are getting 0 returns . that's obvious
"“Mining with using User’s Gigahashes can be stopped by CEX.IO if the amount of the Maintenance Cost exceeds rewards for each mined block or if the mining is economically inexpedient.”"
Here is what they said on their blog once they turned off their cloud mining services : http://blog.cex.io/news/cex-io-temporarily-suspends-cloud-mining-services/ also see here : https://cex.io/maintenance "For sole purposes of covering electricity and upkeep, we charge a small commission for cloud-based GHS."

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:01:48 PM

Yes, what did happen with their mining pool? Last year it (ghash.io) was #1, and so big that people were really concerned about them having over 50% of the network power.

Edit: 'Madness' posted while I was typing. If the #1 pool cannot make money, hopefully prices will rise soon and they can get back in business.

thresher

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:14:24 PM

They charge a maintenance fee https://cex.io/maintenance

They charge a maintenance fee that is higher than the btc you will mine, so they get you're initial investment and then they just cripple you with endless debt.
What is that shit, sharecroppers or something?
michinzx

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 01:31:21 AM

I would be careful as most cloud mining operations seem to be partial or full ponzi's . I don't know of any that will even give you virgin coins anymore.

cex has been around a while and I would say that they arent a scam, but cloud mining will most likely not get you ROI, even more so now that bitcoin price has dropped enought for them to shut off miners.
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:23:51 AM

CEX doesn't work. Isn't that the whole bloody point? LOL Wink

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:32:30 AM

This is good question. I winder the same as I was with CEX sone time ago, but quit 😄 early. Anyone who has a contract can explain here?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: