Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:01:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roth-IRA & 1099 Question  (Read 497 times)
extraKrispy (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:54:40 PM

Hey guys, I got a n00b tax question. Ok for as far back as I can remember I've had a Roth-IRA account that I *never* touch. I'm talking about not even logging in to check my balance. None of the assets in it pay dividends, so it just accumulates interest. However in 2014 I actually went in and moved my money around from fund A to fund B. That is, I sold fund A for cash, then I took that cash and put it into fund B, all with a few mouse clicks. I didn't see any other option to do it any other way from the web interface. Never withdrew the money.

My Q is, does that series of moves right there count as realized gains that I have to pay taxes on?

Thanks,
eK
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 07:00:24 PM

Everything inside a Roth IRA doesn't get taxed, period. Everything in there grows tax-free. The money that you put into it is already taxed.

That's good that you never touched your account. Retirement accounts are not meant to be actively traded on, as that minimizes the human emotions to sell when the market is not good. Rebalancing your allocation every few years is ok, but don't constantly buy/sell.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: