Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:22:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This is getting ridiculous  (Read 2003 times)
Foerster (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:00:07 AM

Just to put things in perspective..
>63 locations
>barely turns a profit
>1.5 billion dollar market cap

If some burgerchain social McDonalds ripoff (NYSE:SHAK) instantly gets such market cap, I don't even know why Bitcoin is still trading so low. This market is a joke on so many levels. As soon as crypto currencies are dumbed-down enough to be safely used and appeal to real mainstream users, their price will not stay at current levels.
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:03:22 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_analogy#False_analogy
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/False_analogy
http://onegoodmove.org/fallacy/falsean.htm

You are welcome.
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:09:51 AM

I feel your pain, but unless you are heavily invested beyond your comfort zone I would stay strong and avoid the urge to sell. Me? I'm currently moving some more BTC into alts. I think this squeeze is just here to test us and I would still stay in the game to an amount that your comfortable with.
Foerster (OP)

Activity: 143

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:44:46 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 03:55:23 AM by Foerster

You are welcome.
I forgot that noobs can not into advanced rationality.
The argument is actually sound:

Premises:
1. Money is drawn into easily appealing, understandable and accessible investments (as demonstrated by this burger chain)
2. Crypto currencies are neither easily understandable nor accessible to mainstream investors/ investment vehicels.
Conclusion:
If Cryptos ever reach such extremely dumbed down levels, they will draw money far beyond the current VC investment.

I feel your pain, but unless you are heavily invested beyond your comfort zone I would stay strong and avoid the urge to sell. Me? I'm currently moving some more BTC into alts. I think this squeeze is just here to test us and I would still stay in the game to an amount that your comfortable with.
Why would I sell? I already went to the Moon and back with BTC, LTC and Doge. What pain could there be that I have not yet experienced? Still I expected things to go faster. Inflation takes it's toll on the price and by the looks of the chart we will not advance much until (at least) the second half of the year.
Walsoraj

Ultranode

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:53:02 AM

You are welcome.
I forgot that noobs can not into advanced rationality.
The argument is actually sound:

Premises:
1. Money is drawn into easily appealing, understandable and accessible investments (as demonstrated by this burger chain)
2. Crypto currencies are neither easily understandable nor accessible to mainstream investors/ investment vehicels.
Conclusion:
If Cryptos ever reach such extremely dumbed down levels, they will draw money far beyond the current VC investment.

All easily appealing, understandable and accessible investments, or some?  If the latter, how do you determine which?
Walsoraj

Ultranode

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:25:13 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 04:42:41 AM by Walsoraj

Let me elaborate.

Your argument (generously):

p1: IF an investment is dumbed down, THEN it will attract money.  [P then Q.]

p2: Crypto (an investment) is not dumbed down. [not P.]  Therefore, it does not attract money. [Therefore, not Q.  Conclusion doesn't follow because "not P" does not imply "not Q."  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denying_the_antecedent.]

C:  IF crypto becomes a dumbed down investment, THEN it will attract money.

p2's conclusion is illogical and doesn't support your argument.  Your main conclusion is merely an example of p1.  In other words, p1 is your conclusion. In this circular process, you are trying to compare a stock to crypto without providing any sort of argument.

More info here:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

You are welcome.

PS:  Never go full retard.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:31:42 AM

>63 locations
>barely turns a profit

If some burgerchain social McDonalds ripoff (NYSE:SHAK) instantly gets such market cap, I don't even know why Bitcoin is still trading so low. This market is a joke on so many levels. As soon as crypto currencies are dumbed-down enough to be safely used and appeal to real mainstream users, their price will not stay at current levels.

$10/hour?
If we work (eat & live) there, then we can buy almost 2 BTC every week.   Smiley

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 05:27:11 AM

snip

$10/hour?
If we work (eat & live) there, then we can buy almost 2 BTC every week.   Smiley
And after they pay their bills and weekly wants they'll have the ability to purchase .25 btc or less when their payday comes, which is still a plus. That said, very few at McD's (or related biz) makes $10/hr unless they've been there for many years or are management of some sorts. God forbid if they have any kids cause then it's curtains at that point.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:04:48 AM

Brute force logic aside, I think you make a good point.

rosh

Activity: 218

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:35:37 AM

All easily appealing, understandable and accessible investments, or some?  If the latter, how do you determine which?

Investments which are easily appealing, understandable, accessible and receive a lot of hype.
Bitcoin may qualify
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 05:04:53 PM

Because this makes investor money. Bitcoin makes only speculators money for now, which is different.
calci

Activity: 168

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 05:38:53 PM

>63 locations
>barely turns a profit

Well you are talking about a launch here, didn't the same thing happened with bitcoin after launch ? Just because bitcoin was more complex, took it 4-5 years but it did happen.
bonipper

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 12:28:49 AM

>63 locations
>barely turns a profit

Well you are talking about a launch here, didn't the same thing happened with bitcoin after launch ? Just because bitcoin was more complex, took it 4-5 years but it did happen.

When Kentucky fried chicken started it was one man selling food. It took decades to grow into a multinational business. Give bitcoin a chance of decades.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 11:54:39 PM

Bitcoin is insanely underrated. Just look at uber, its silly how its bigger than Bitcoin. we'll see massive marketcap in 10 years. Trillions.
Walsoraj

Ultranode

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 12:13:08 AM

Bitcoin is insanely underrated. Just look at uber, its silly how its bigger than Bitcoin. we'll see massive marketcap in 10 years. Trillions.
But bitcoin is not a business. Its a form of currency.

A penny stock posing as a currency would be more accurate.
waterpile

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 02:37:31 AM

1 reason is that burgerchain makes money every minute and while bitcoin is a risky investment, you dont know what will happen next
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: