Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:44:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Class action against Coinbase  (Read 4199 times)
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 07:39:07 AM

"Coinbase runs into trouble over New York and California regulatory status"

"Coinbase is being sized up for a class action suit by securities litigators Tripp Levy for allegedly making false and misleading statements relating to the regulatory status of its new bitcoin exchange in New York and California. Earlier this week, Coinbase launched what it called America's first regulated bitcoin exchange, promising that the platform would immediately be available to users in 24 US states and territories.

However, Matthew Anderson, a spokesman for Benjamin Lawsky, the superintendent of the state’s Department of Financial Services, has told the New York Times that the regulator has not issued Coinbase was a license. Bitcoin firms in New York currently need a money transmission license but will soon have to get a dedicated 'BitLicense'. In addition, the California Department of Business Oversight has issued a statement to "correct erroneous reports that Coinbase Exchange has received regulatory approval from the State".

When news broke of the Coinbase exchange, bitcoin's price saw a sharp rise, hitting $263. Law firm Tripp Levy says that the company's initial statement may have "artificially inflated" the cryptocurrency's price, which later fell as the New York and California news emerged."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 09:53:48 AM

"Coinbase is being sized up for a class action suit by securities litigators Tripp Levy for allegedly making false and misleading statements relating to the regulatory status of its new bitcoin exchange in New York and California. Earlier this week, Coinbase launched what it called America's first regulated bitcoin exchange, promising that the platform would immediately be available to users in 24 US states and territories.

However, Matthew Anderson, a spokesman for Benjamin Lawsky, the superintendent of the state’s Department of Financial Services, has told the New York Times that the regulator has not issued Coinbase was a license. Bitcoin firms in New York currently need a money transmission license but will soon have to get a dedicated 'BitLicense'. In addition, the California Department of Business Oversight has issued a statement to "correct erroneous reports that Coinbase Exchange has received regulatory approval from the State".

When news broke of the Coinbase exchange, bitcoin's price saw a sharp rise, hitting $263. Law firm Tripp Levy says that the company's initial statement may have "artificially inflated" the cryptocurrency's price, which later fell as the New York and California news emerged."

Oops... This might block the increasing dominance of CoinBase.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 10:16:19 AM

Law firm Tripp Levy says that the company's initial statement may have "artificially inflated" the cryptocurrency's price, which later fell as the New York and California news emerged."

What do they smoke at that law firm?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 02:25:41 AM

bitlicense lol that was too funny

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:08:15 PM

"correct erroneous reports that Coinbase Exchange has received regulatory approval from the State"
That's why I hate laws, it depends on who is reading it to know if it'll help or f*ck you.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:43:37 PM

Yep, that was not well thought out by CB
Surprisingly amateurish to be honest

vedgemen

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 10:01:44 PM

that just figures
Inotanewbie

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

www.CloudThink.IO

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 02:40:15 AM

This is nothing more then the typical class action liberal lobby filing frivolous lawsuits hoping to get a payout for themselves while the alleged "victims" will get next to nothing as a class and individually 

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
keysa71

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 01:15:07 PM

True dat!  Wink
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 1240

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 07:26:16 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2015, 09:26:09 AM by BayAreaCoins

It was insane and really Rick Rolled the shit out of myself and a few folks I know.

Everyone should write their Attorney General. (totally free and takes about 5-10 minutes to fill out a complaint)

I got a letter back from the California AG today and next week I'm going to follow up with the NY firm mentioned in the OP.  If I choose to go with them then I can't sue Coinbase with another, but hopefully they are going to be the right guys for the case.  I spoke to the person posted in the OP a few weeks back and it sounded pretty decent.  They charge $0 and when they win the case they charge 25-33% of the winnings... which at this point seems ok to me. I'll pay 33% and give them a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle if we have to take them to court successfully.

Waiting game at this point... all this will be a long process now.

Would be funny if the State handed out criminal charges... I'd chuckle a bit. Fuck those Coinbase bastards.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 09:56:27 AM

It was insane and really Rick Rolled the shit out of myself and a few folks I know.

Everyone should write their Attorney General. (totally free and takes about 5-10 minutes to fill out a complaint)

I got a letter back from the California AG today and next week I'm going to follow up with the NY firm mentioned in the OP.  If I choose to go with them then I can't sue Coinbase with another, but hopefully they are going to be the right guys for the case.  I spoke to the person posted in the OP a few weeks back and it sounded pretty decent.  They charge $0 and when they win the case they charge 25-33% of the winnings... which at this point seems ok to me. I'll pay 33% and give them a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle if we have to take them to court successfully.

Waiting game at this point... all this will be a long process now.

Would be funny if the State handed out criminal charges... I'd chuckle a bit. Fuck those Coinbase bastards.

I'd rather stupid people not waste tax payer dollars on cases with zero chance of winning.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: