Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:44:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey I am new here :) + old bitcoin cmd calculator I made  (Read 1100 times)
algar32 (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:56:25 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2012, 04:08:37 AM by algar32

Hello all, I am new to the forums. Just wanted to say hello. Also here is a "ghetto" bitcoin calculator I made to run in cmd from my last semester's programming class. It's nothing special or really that usable. Most of you programming folks will scoff at it, but it was my first C++ class and I thought it would be fun to take a stab at it Wink. Also I think you need visual studio to open it as well....

Bitcoin Calculator: http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=54768

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:37:14 AM

Hello all, I am new to the forums. Just wanted to say hello. Also here is a "ghetto" bitcoin calculator I made to run in cmd from my last semester's programming class. It's nothing special or really that usable. Most of you programming folks will scoff at it, but it was my first C++ class and I thought it would be fun to take a stab at it Wink. Also I think you need visual studio to open it as well....

You expect bitcoin users to download a windows executable from a new stranger in a bitcoin community? I'm not accusing you of anything, but you have to understand it seems pretty fishy and people are pretty paranoid about anything that potentially steal their wallet. All Bitcoin software should be open source for this reason.

Welcome to the forums.

Don't use BIPS!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:38:04 AM

Try posting the code to github.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:56:20 AM

You expect bitcoin users to download a windows executable from a new stranger in a bitcoin community? I'm not accusing you of anything, but you have to understand it seems pretty fishy and people are pretty paranoid about anything that potentially steal their wallet. All Bitcoin software should be open source for this reason.

Welcome to the forums.

It's not a Windows executable, it's a Visual Studio solution file... and only the solution file, without the corresponding project file or even the source file(s). Roll Eyes Algar, didn't it strike you as odd that your RAR file actually takes up less data than your post about it?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:03:57 AM

Welcome to the forums.
This. I've banned a few users a couple days ago distributing a 'miner' and a 'pool hopper' that turned up to be a virus in Anubis. Absolutely DO NOT DOWNLOAD and run ANY EXECUTABLES without the source. Compile from the source to be sure.

OP,

Welcome to the forums.

It's not a Windows executable, it's a Visual Studio solution file... and only the solution file, without the corresponding project file or even the source file(s). Roll Eyes Algar, didn't it strike you as odd that your RAR file actually takes up less data than your post about it?
AnonEMoosey

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:33:19 AM

Seems legit.
christ0pher

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 01:03:34 PM

he said it wasnt an exe. It's just the code and forms and stuff.
algar32 (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:28:27 PM

Welcome to the forums.
I expected this answer and I most certainly understand the concern. I am not forcing anyone to download it. Honestly it isn't even that good, just an attempt that got me a good grade in the class. Not everyone has windows, so yes I thought there was a slim chance some people might download it and maybe open in wine or similar Wink.

And thanks for the welcome Smiley.
algar32 (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:29:46 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2012, 04:51:45 PM by algar32

Welcome to the forums.

This cat is right^^^. I don't know how the hell I did that.  Sorry if anyone actually downloaded it.  As I said don't take it seriously, it is barely a calculator (or proper coding).

This one should work if anyone is interested: http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=54775

For those of you who would rather just look at the code:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/75662/
(sorry if I am not aloud to link to other forums)

Also I am messing around with github now, whoever asked above. (I am sure I will need it  quite a bit in the future)
algar32 (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:30:59 PM

Seems legit.

I detect sarcasm  Shocked
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:09:38 AM

I just compiled this on Linux, though I had to rename the time variable since it conflicts with std::time(). I'm not sure how you got away with that on Windows. Does the Visual C++ standard library really not have a time() function? Although, knowing Microsoft, that wouldn't actually surprise me. Also, I don't quite understand the "enthusiasm" thing. Is this just some random thing you threw in just to show your instructor that you know how to use a switch statement?

Anyway, to anyone else who wants to try it out, the code is clean safe, but I'd be wary of the included EXE file. I don't know whether it was compiled from this source or not and am too lazy to find out. Compile from source to be safe.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
algar32 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 06:30:06 AM

I just compiled this on Linux, though I had to rename the time variable since it conflicts with std::time(). I'm not sure how you got away with that on Windows. Does the Visual C++ standard library really not have a time() function? Although, knowing Microsoft, that wouldn't actually surprise me. Also, I don't quite understand the "enthusiasm" thing. Is this just some random thing you threw in just to show your instructor that you know how to use a switch statement?

Anyway, to anyone else who wants to try it out, the code is clean safe, but I'd be wary of the included EXE file. I don't know whether it was compiled from this source or not and am too lazy to find out. Compile from source to be safe.

Yeah like I said I am not a programmer, just some noob who took the class. Yes it runs fine on my windows machine without changing the code. Yes the enthusiasm was added simply because you were suppose to implement as much as possible from the course and I had yet to add a switch.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: