Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:21:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain size, exponential growth?  (Read 8439 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:48:07 AM

I don't understand why the blockchain has grown exponentially in the latest months, with that huge size of the database on hard drive, it's getting difficult to convince new users to start to use it: They have to wait a whole day to download the block chain.

Is there any light client which download only latest part of blockchain and verify the rest part using only a checksum?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 07:51:50 AM

You might find this useful: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94102.0

(the other choice is to use an alternative client)

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 08:26:02 AM

I don't understand the technical details, but look at the blockchain size chart:
https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size

if all the transactions are recorded in blockchain, it will surely grow out of the capacity of any hard disk in one year, after another year, it will grow out of the capacity of any storage server farm I know. This has to be solved as soon as possible

Any client should only interested in those transactions related to his own account, for other transactions he can use block explorer to search, maybe someone from a bank can explain how bank handle huge amount of transaction records?

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 08:33:38 AM

Indeed the growing size is of concern (and there have been numerous threads about this not that long after Satoshi Dice was launched).

From these other threads I think that the momentum to implement "pruning" of the blockchain (and other scalability solutions) is increasing at an even more rapid rate. Smiley

(am certain that this will be sorted out before it becomes such a problem - but as stated before there are other clients that don't require the blockchain)

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 08:40:10 AM

The blockchain size is directly proportional to the number of transactions in Bitcoin's history. The blockchain is larger now because there are more transactions. This is in large part due to SatoshiDice, but also due to general growth.

There are indeed lightweight clients (they don't work in the way you suggested though) and this is an active development subject. There are also eWallets such as blockchain.info's MyWallet which do not require trust.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 09:00:05 AM

I believe from client side there will be a solution, but how about blockchain itself?

After some study I can see that with today's 400 transaction/10minute rate, the block size is already 250K, if BTC gained popularity quickly, then there will be thousands of transactions per minute

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 09:04:15 AM

I believe from client side there will be a solution, but how about blockchain itself?

After some study I can see that with today's 400 transaction/10minute rate, the block size is already 250K, if BTC gained popularity quickly, then there will be thousands of transactions per minute
It's basically a solved problem. There's pruning and there are ways to do transfers outside of the blockchain. Also, not everyone needs the blockchain so it can afford to be a bit large.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
totaleclipseofthebank

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:01:19 AM

But has pruning been implemented?

This is a problem that is dismissed far too quickly by the same old arguments. There is no way that people are going to use bitcoin in the intended way if they need to download 4gb (and then another couple 100 every week) just in order to make payments.

It is counterproductive to simply dismiss this problem as solved, because it isn't actually solved yet

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 10:20:08 AM

No. But it's being worked on.

There is no way that people are going to use bitcoin in the intended way if they need to download 4gb (and then another couple 100 every week) just in order to make payments.
It was never intended that every Bitcoin user will download the entire blockchain.

This is a problem that is dismissed far too quickly by the same old arguments.
It is counterproductive to simply dismiss this problem as solved, because it isn't actually solved yet
I see it the other way around - the same old arguments about the size of the blockchain are dismissed because they bring nothing new to the discussion and ignore existing work on the subject.

Yes, the solutions still need to be implemented. But complaining about it isn't helping.

mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:31:44 AM

I'd say the problem is not solved until there's a reference implementation of what's proposed in this thread. Even with pruning the blockchain is going to be too large before long, if Bitcoin is going to be ever more widely adopted.

Also, after the block size limit is lifted (this must be done at some point) network bandwidth is going to be the bottleneck that limits who can run a full-fledged client.
totaleclipseofthebank

Activity: 451

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:38:09 AM

Thanks for clarifying Meni.

I understand that complaining leads nowhere--my point was just that there is still work to be done here!

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 11:28:21 AM

No and it would not be enough by itself soon anyway due to bandwidth and CPU usage also rising.

You can search "swarm client" on this forum to find a possible solution to BTCs algorithmic problem.

Until that is developed I suggest using electrum or some online wallet for new users.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:41:58 PM

Now I understand why banks have to hire so many people to take care of the account related activities Grin

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 03:19:26 PM

I don't think Bitcoin will ever again be so that it's feasible for everyone in the world to run a full node. I don't know if it ever was, light clients are simply much faster and more convenient and even more so recently. The scaling work is basically needed so at least some people can run the full client. Not everyone needs to run it.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 11:46:18 AM

There are also eWallets such as blockchain.info's MyWallet which do not require trust.
There is no such thing as an ewallet that does not require trust. Even if they propose client-side encryption of the keys, the user is not immune to code poisoning by the server: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86278.20

Supernodes and their ewallets are part of the solution for the growing size of the blockchain. I recommend paytunia to new users.

commonancestor

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 12:38:13 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 12:51:03 AM by commonancestor

Hello, my opinion on the subject is Sad

The blockchain growth may not be exponential but it grows quickly. (http://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=) From May'12 it grows about +1 GB every 3 months! Plus here are my thoughts that it may possible for an attacker to spend $ 10,000 and do the same in 14 days. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94619.0#msg1046793)

On the other hand, I see this can be helped.
Raising fees. I think that fees are extremely low and should be considered at more realistic level, say 0.05 USD/tx. Also miners would welcome this 1000 times Cheesy.
Light wallets, incentivised servers. I see there is a number of alternative clients but the reference client is simply a full node.
Pruning. Spent transactions will be possible to have pruned one day. This would be a relief from Satoshi Dice, however, I can still imagine millions of spam addresses with unspent micro-amounts.

I think if not addressed then it will be embarrassing for new users to download some 4 GB of blochchain next year.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 01:14:01 AM

I don't understand the technical details, but ...

Generally predictions that begin with "I don't understand this BUT" are worthless.

IF you don't understand the technical details how can you make predictions as to the scope of the problem or potential solutions.   

The reality is that only unspent tx need to remain in the blockchain and over time that will represent a smaller and smaller % of total transactions.  Storage requirements are a non-issue long term.  Casual users are best served by lite clients, a development that Satoshi covers in the white paper written over three years ago.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 01:23:36 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 01:54:31 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Raising fees. I think that fees are extremely low and should be considered at more realistic level, say 0.05 USD/tx. Also miners would welcome this 1000 times Cheesy.

The protocol can't enforce fees.  The reference rules to prevent DOS attacks impose a required fee on LOW PRIORITY TX only.   Miners are free to choose what transactions they include in a block.  If you run a mining node you are free to exclude ANY transaction you wan't (for any reason).   Raising the mandatory fee on LOW PRIORITY TXs would be foolish and not have the desired effect you think it would as most transaction are HIGH PRIORITY and thus aren't affected by tx fee rules.  

Pruning. Spent transactions will be possible to have pruned one day. This would be a relief from Satoshi Dice, however, I can still imagine millions of spam addresses with unspent micro-amounts.

Anti-spam rules make this prohibitively expensive.  The attacker would end up paying 10x to 100x the cost incurred by full nodes (and light nodes would incur no cost).  Trying to outspend your enemy when there are more of them and it costs you $100 for every $1 it costs you is kinda dumb.  Sort of like designing weapons which shoot money at the enemy and trying to kill them by burying them in giant piles of cash.  While technically possible there are far more effective methods of attack.

I think if not addressed then it will be embarrassing for new users to download some 4 GB of blochchain next year.

Why?  There is no need for users today to run a full node.  If they wish to run a full node then the 4GB "cost" is something they accept.  A long term project would be one that OpenCL accelerates the blockchain verification.   In theory bootstrapping a new node could be done significantly faster.
commonancestor

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 02:11:49 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 02:35:13 AM by commonancestor

The protocol can't enforce fees.  The reference rules to prevent DOS attacks impose a required fee on LOW PRIORITY TX only.   Miners are free to choose what transactions they include in a block.  If you run a mining node you are free to exclude ANY transaction you wan't (for any reason).   Raising the mandatory fee on LOW PRIORITY TXs would be foolish and not have the desired effect you think it would as most transaction are HIGH PRIORITY and thus aren't affected by tx fee rules.  

Anti-spam rules make this prohibitively expensive.  The attacker would end up paying 10x to 100x the cost incurred by full nodes (and light nodes would incur no cost).   It is like trying to outspend your enemy when you enemy is thousands of users and it cost you $100 for every $1 it costs them.  Futile and stupid.

Why?  There is no need for users today to run a full node.  If they wish to run a full node then the 4GB "cost" is something they accept.

I hope I am not wrong here but something about fees may be encoded in the software, like not to transmit low priority transactions with fees under 0.0001 BTC. Anyway, I understand that the fees level to include low priority transactions in blocks is some general agreement among users. Indeed, I'm suggesting to raise this level, because I understand, that both Satoshi Dice and any possible spam fall under low priority tx, and it would help to keep them at more acceptable level.

Yes, at first sight the $10,000 buys a 1 GB of blockchain. But this will be transmitted, stored, re-transmitted, downloaded, etc, eventually forever. I think more of some moral harm to the project or loss of momentum, e.g. if such spammers grow the blockchain to 10 GB this year then many full nodes may just decide to stop. But that's just a matter of opinion. I still think there can be guys who may find the network endangering them, and go out and outspend it.

Indeed, non-technical type of users are not supposed to be running the reference client (something in the sense "Bitcoin-Qt - cool; 2 GB of data - wtf"). Somehow I find this unfortunate for the project, but again it's just a matter of opinion.
racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:19:50 AM

I hope I am not wrong here but something about fees may be encoded in the software, like not to transmit low priority transactions with fees under 0.0001 BTC. Anyway, I understand that the fees level to include low priority transactions in blocks is some general agreement among users. Indeed, I'm suggesting to raise this level, because I understand, that both Satoshi Dice and any possible spam fall under low priority tx, and it would help to keep them at more acceptable level.

Yes, at first sight the $10,000 buys a 1 GB of blockchain. But this will be transmitted, stored, re-transmitted, downloaded, etc, eventually forever. I think more of some moral harm to the project or loss of momentum, e.g. if such spammers grow the blockchain to 10 GB this year then many full nodes may just decide to stop. But that's just a matter of opinion. I still think there can be guys who may find the network endangering them, and go out and outspend it.

Indeed, non-technical type of users are not supposed to be running the reference client (something in the sense "Bitcoin-Qt - cool; 2 GB of data - wtf"). Somehow I find this unfortunate for the project, but again it's just a matter of opinion.

I doubt 1gb will be that expensive in the future to store, storage capacity is still growing faster than blockchain size.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: