Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 06:45:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoin price will be stable or i have to use another Alt ?  (Read 1907 times)
C E S A R (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 07:53:47 PM

Hey members of bitcointalk,  I am a bit new with BTC and I was so interested to use it but i see that the price is fluctuating between up and down too much which made me lose some money. Is this ok with BTC or I have to use another stable Altcoin? And which Altcoin I may use?

Sorry for being noob  Cheesy Grin
MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 08:01:18 PM

Price is lately run by traders and they require volatility to operate and make profit. No stability till BTC is worth much much more than now.
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 08:03:31 PM

Don't use alt coins if you are looking for stability.

And if you want to go to the moon you use bitcoin. Best of luck.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
ronald98

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 08:51:21 PM

There are some alts that stay at roughly the price of one dollar, like BitUSD. They are the only things stable in price. The other alts and bitcoin are like a roller coaster.
C E S A R (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 09:09:01 PM

Price is lately run by traders and they require volatility to operate and make profit. No stability till BTC is worth much much more than now.

So, this will last for a long time?? I mean when the price will be stable ?
caga

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 09:23:38 PM

Hey members of bitcointalk,  I am a bit new with BTC and I was so interested to use it but i see that the price is fluctuating between up and down too much which made me lose some money. Is this ok with BTC or I have to use another stable Altcoin? And which Altcoin I may use?

I find altcoins a bit more risky to invest in, specially longterms, than in bitcoins.
I would leave my moneyin fiat, if not bitcoin. But bitcoin is a decent investment right now.

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 6647

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 09:40:09 PM

My theory is that a large part of Bitcoin's volatility is caused by mining. It is a kind of boom-bust-cycle: When prices go up and difficulty is down, then miners can hold currency and sell only a little fraction. That leads to strong upwards price movements. But when difficulty grows, miners must sell more, and more so when prices are falling again. So in bear markets they sell more than normal, and price goes down faster.

So take a look at proof-of-stake altcoins like PPC and NXT: They don't rely on mining. The fact that they are very volatile too is due to the fact that they are traded mostly with bitcoin and are following its price. When their ecosystems grow they should be more stable.

Also proof-of-burn is an interesting concept that may lead to more stable coins, take a look at Slimcoin. There are also concepts like BitShares and NuBits where there are "stable" and "volatile" currencies coexisting.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:07:58 PM

There are some alts that stay at roughly the price of one dollar, like BitUSD. They are the only things stable in price. The other alts and bitcoin are like a roller coaster.

They also does not provide any upside.

Holding BTC now means a chance to increase the investment several times.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

ParabellumLite

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:25:04 PM

You should look into Ripple, that used the currency called XRP. I like to emphasize that Ripple is much more than a cryptocurrency, unlike its native currency XRP. You can look that up.

Also, BitsharesX and NXT might be some choices. NXT and Ripple seem very ambitious in my eyes, and are way ahead on Bitcoin at this point. Just read up on those, and make your own decision.
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:28:35 PM

I don't care if Ripple is a current success/innovative/blah blah.

Ripple is centralised. De-centralisation is the whole point of crypto, IMHO.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:31:01 PM

There will not be stability until bitcoin is worth five or ten times more. It costs too little for the whales to move the markets now. Dead altcoins will provide you price stability and you don't want that kind of stabililty.  Wink
ParabellumLite

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:31:14 PM

I don't care if Ripple is a current success/innovative/blah blah.

Ripple is centralised. De-centralisation is the whole point of crypto, IMHO.

For the crypto anarchist that is a point that cannot be compromised on. I however declared ideology, and everything that comes close it, dead a long time ago already. Also: Bitcoin mining is heavily centralized, which makes it rather ironic to claim that it is decentralized.  That is a simple fact that will always kill off nonsense about alledged de-centralisation of the coin.
Shak

Activity: 134

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:34:35 PM

The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued. Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion.

'nough said
ParabellumLite

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:37:32 PM

The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued. Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion.

'nough said

How many did Satoshi hold again Wink? Or on a different note, how much of all coins in existence at the moment are held by the top 1000 adresses?
But to fill you in on how this works: 55 will indeed be distributed if I'm not mistaken, the remaining 25 billion will remain locked up until there is a use for it. Also: the founders are all bound on holding onto their XRP via lockup agreements. But you could find that on the internet, although I have this feeling that you already knew this.
Bernard Lerring

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:42:16 PM

Well I didn't know the breakdown of XRP that Shak posted. It just looks to have too much of a control and vested interest for me. I believe that you can go into business/politics with the best intentions in the world and still become corrupted by the system, and Ripple looks corruptible and self-serving towards it current bagholders to me. NXT looks like genuine though.
ParabellumLite

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:47:19 PM

Well I didn't know the breakdown of XRP that Shak posted. It just looks to have too much of a control and vested interest for me. I believe that you can go into business/politics with the best intentions in the world and still become corrupted by the system, and Ripple looks corruptible and self-serving towards it current bagholders to me. NXT looks like genuine though.

I have to say: this amount of nuance is pretty rare for these boards. I commend you for keeping the standards up amidst all these trolls. Normally the standard reply about anything but Bitcoin can be summarized as 'aggressive'.
Shak

Activity: 134

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:47:35 PM

the satoshi-stash in bitcoin is there, for sure. here is a nice article about it with a good estimation of his amount of owned bitcoins:

https://bitslog.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/the-well-deserved-fortune-of-satoshi-nakamoto/
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:51:41 PM

Bitcoin's volatility is entirely to do with its low market cap. As it rises, stability will increase. This is why we need more skilled speculators and traders, it is an opportunity IMO. Keyword is skilled. Noobs and gamblers are being eaten alive.

Don't buy alts. They are designed to suck in BTC.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2015, 10:51:52 PM

You can't actually use alt coins. They are for purely giving money to the next guy that promotes his alt enough to get rich.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Bernard Lerring

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 10:54:18 PM

^^^^Thanks, ParabellumLite. The troll posters on this board only serve to occasionally amuse me. Anyone with an interest in Bitcoin that extends further than to making money should have a look at the alts IMO, since advancing technology is important for crypto to survive. I don't think the blinkered attitude of "Bitcoin is the only one!" is a helpful thing.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: