Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:38:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 450-Year-Old Debt. Trillions Owed.  (Read 860 times)
elux (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:48:33 AM

The sleepy hamlet of Mittenwalde in eastern Germany could become one of the richest towns in the world if Berlin were to repay it an outstanding debt that dates back to 1562.

A certificate of debt, found in a regional archive, attests that Mittenwalde lent Berlin 400 guilders on May 28 1562, to be repaid with six percent interest per year.

According to Radio Berlin Brandenburg (RBB), the debt would amount to 11,200 guilders today, which is roughly equivalent to 112 million euros ($136.79 million).

Adjusting for compound interest and inflation, the total debt now lies in the trillions, by RBB's estimates.

Town historian Vera Schmidt found the centuries-old debt slip in the archive, where it had been filed in 1963.
Though the seal is missing from the document, Schmidt told Reuters that she was certain the slip was still valid.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48236142

A different kind of debt crisis. Smiley

Tangentially relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin#Bequest

Thoughts, discussion?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:54:57 AM

Perhaps they can rehypothecate that note and purchase the PIIG debt, thereby saving the Euro.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:55:41 AM

The sleepy hamlet of Mittenwalde in eastern Germany could become one of the richest towns in the world if Berlin were to repay it an outstanding debt that dates back to 1562.

A certificate of debt, found in a regional archive, attests that Mittenwalde lent Berlin 400 guilders on May 28 1562, to be repaid with six percent interest per year.

According to Radio Berlin Brandenburg (RBB), the debt would amount to 11,200 guilders today, which is roughly equivalent to 112 million euros ($136.79 million).

Adjusting for compound interest and inflation, the total debt now lies in the trillions, by RBB's estimates.

Town historian Vera Schmidt found the centuries-old debt slip in the archive, where it had been filed in 1963.
Though the seal is missing from the document, Schmidt told Reuters that she was certain the slip was still valid.

Thoughts, discussion?

How do they know the debt wasn't repaid?  I doubt they have complete financial records for both the village and Berlin from 1562 onwards.

I'm not sure why an historian would feel qualified to give an opinion on the validity of a debt. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:56:25 AM

Perhaps they can rehypothecate that note and purchase the PIIG debt, thereby saving the Euro.

lol. too funny  Grin

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 04:15:06 PM

Thoughts, discussion?

How do they know the debt wasn't repaid?  I doubt they have complete financial records for both the village and Berlin from 1562 onwards.

I'm not sure why an historian would feel qualified to give an opinion on the validity of a debt.  

It's a trick! If that debt were given considerable consideration, then afro-americans will start, once again, demanding that their debt be paid due to their grandparent's enslavement. If I recall my history correctly, they still want their 40 acres and a mule. Since the mule's is the white house, I wonder if they'll now settle for a hector of land, one bitcoin, and an alpaca.

~Cackling Bear~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: