Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:38:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Deposit to wrong Mt. Gox account- my mistake- issue now resolved by Bitinstant  (Read 3869 times)
MrCrappy (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:41:00 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2012, 12:28:23 AM by MrCrappy

Your account is one number away from mine. You received a deposit from me because I'm a moron. If you happen to read this can I please have my $ back. Maybe half?
Mt. Gox says they can't do anything. Not even pass a message to you, so I'm hoping that you read this. I'm not rich, just wanted to try this BTC thing, so it matters a lot to me.
Thank you and good day.

Here is my address:
16EnTee8cQUQmhfDH1mEorE2oPUTCGQzHr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:59:15 PM

Your account is one number away from mine. You received a deposit from me because I'm a moron. If you happen to read this can I please have my $ back. Maybe half?
Mt. Gox says they can't do anything. Not even pass a message to you, so I'm hoping that you read this. I'm not rich, just wanted to try this BTC thing, so it matters a lot to me.
Thank you and good day.

Here is my address:

Hello MrCrappy,

You might be able to force MtGox to act in your favor if the name on the transmitting account doesn't match the name on acct #118721. How did you fund the account? (hopefully you didn't use cash)

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:11:35 PM

Your account is one number away from mine.
This should not be possible. At the very least, MtGox should add a checkdigit to the account numbers.

its quite rare you actually hear anything good about operations at  MTGOX .........
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:14:32 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 08:16:01 PM by EnergyVampire

Wow, I thought that was a per-requisite to funding an acct.  The bank account funding the mt gox acct had to have matching name.  Is this not the case?  And then they say there is nothing they can do about it?  What a crock of shit.

Yes, I thought it was a prerequisite as well. For MtGox to comply with Anti-Money Laundering (AML) laws, they have to be very careful how deposits/withdrawals are made when government currency is involved. Here is a comment straight from https://mtgox.com website:

"Funds deposited with Mt.Gox may only be withdrawn to an account held by the originator of those funds located in your country of origin, except where transferring Bitcoins or other non-fiat currencies."

Speculation: The latest Bitcoinica-MtGox hack is very interesting because it involved $40K US Dollars. So either MtGox transferred the USD from Bitcoinica LLC to Bitcoinica LLC or they are liable for the 40K USD and/or guilty of money laundering.

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:41:48 PM

Thank you and good day.

Here is my address:

I took the liberty of checking your account, and found that you deposited through Bitinstant. You need to contact Bitinstant to ask them to recall the transfer and send it to the appropriate account (they will be able to check if you are indeed the individual who did the deposit - while we can't).
MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:44:50 PM

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

It was actually a transfer from my checking account to Bitinstant to Mt. Gox. I guess that looks like cash to Mt. Gox. I realized almost immediately what happened
and notified everyone involved.
I got an email pretty quickly from Charlie at Bitinstant saying they could most likely work with Gox to return the funds but
that was 48 hours ago and haven't heard back from them and they aren't responding to my emails now.
Mt. Gox support says essentially not our problem, so efff U.

I know this is my fault and I'm sorry as I can be about it. Was just hoping the guy with the account was out there somewhere.

I've made a few transactions before but it's been a few weeks and somehow my fingers transposed one number on the account and
I didn't catch it. As a sysadmin I deal with stuff like this all the time, so I guess it's now my turn to be the dummy. A very expensive lesson.

MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:47:03 PM

Thanks, Tux. I have calls and emails in to Bitinstant but no reply since the initial incident (~48 hrs). I can provide all details/verification they need.
antares

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 01:07:54 AM

Thank you and good day.

Here is my address:

I took the liberty of checking your account, and found that you deposited through Bitinstant. You need to contact Bitinstant to ask them to recall the transfer and send it to the appropriate account (they will be able to check if you are indeed the individual who did the deposit - while we can't).

since when can mtgox funds transfers be reversed? good but alarming to know that!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 04:29:43 PM

Thanks, Tux. I have calls and emails in to Bitinstant but no reply since the initial incident (~48 hrs). I can provide all details/verification they need.

Hey,

We responded to your emails, and told you we will get this resolved. I know it sucks, but I'm doing everything I can!

The way to do this is when Mark and I are online at the exact same time with the actual owner of the account so we can get permission from all 3 parties to pull the funds out of one account.

Please be patient with us, I promise you your email is 1 of 6 emails in my inbox marked as 'Super Important'

Thanks

Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 04:56:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, Charlie. I admit it's my fault and don't mean to be a pest, just figured it was one of those 'time is of the essence' things. I know your busy. I just got nervous when I hadn't heard anything back. Swear by all that is holy this will never happen again.

Thanks for the help.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 10:53:29 PM

Thanks for the reply, Charlie. I admit it's my fault and don't mean to be a pest, just figured it was one of those 'time is of the essence' things. I know your busy. I just got nervous when I hadn't heard anything back. Swear by all that is holy this will never happen again.

Thanks for the help.

Don't ever think its your fault! Shit happens, we will get it resolved  Grin

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 01:15:55 PM

Then hopefully you'll work with MagicalTux to add a checkdigit to MtGox account numbers.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2012, 08:47:00 PM

Then hopefully you'll work with MagicalTux to add a checkdigit to MtGox account numbers.

We have one, but he entered an account that did exist.

MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 03:35:40 PM

It's been almost a week since I've heard anything hear. 9 days since I've had email contact. I'm still hoping this is in the works. Thank you.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 06:21:10 PM

It's been almost a week since I've heard anything hear. 9 days since I've had email contact. I'm still hoping this is in the works. Thank you.

Can you resend me an email with the info? This shows in my system as completed. I need to look into it again.

MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 09:01:03 PM

Ok. Sent. Thanks.
MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 09:46:37 PM

Waiting...

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/images/waiting_skeleton_cover.jpg
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 10:43:24 PM

Waiting...

I hope there are no dogs on that park!
tmfp143

Activity: 35

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:08:18 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2013, 01:46:17 AM by tmfp143

t
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 02:21:01 AM

I know, it sucks. Basically Mark is in Europe and I'm in the US. He lives in Tokyo, which makes timezones crazy.

We need a better way to handle a situation like this, but honestly this was the first time it ever happend!

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: