Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:33:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The long addresses are really annoying with all the letters and numbers...  (Read 2409 times)
durdleman (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 05:47:07 AM

Could there be a way for someone to 'reserve' a name for a little while? So I can go into the bitcoin wallet on my computer and make it so anyone who sends to "Durdleman" for example will actually send to my address?

Edit: Actually, if there's a domain name service, is it possible for the bitcoin.org people to have a bitcoin name service as well?
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 06:10:14 AM

This has been discussed before, but I don't know how widespread it actually is:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84653

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 06:12:14 AM

Third party services can easily do this. Like Backslash where you can send to a name.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 06:38:59 AM

blockchain.info allows "alias" names for their wallets.  Look for how to do it at "Account Settings" at the wallet home page, look for "alias".  Pick a word that no one else already has.  "gold", for example already has been taken (I checked), but "durdleman" probably has not, so you could use that.

Then each time you go to your wallet, type in "durdleman" in the "Identifier" field.

Easy-peasy!  Smiley
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 06:45:55 AM

A lot of wallets will now let you send coins to email addresses and names in your wallet address book once you have it set up.
I never find the long address a problem because whoever i send to i just copy and paste the BTC addy, hard to make a typo mistake when doing it that way.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 07:48:48 AM

blockchain.info allows "alias" names for their wallets.  Look for how to do it at "Account Settings" at the wallet home page, look for "alias".  Pick a word that no one else already has.  "gold", for example already has been taken (I checked), but "durdleman" probably has not, so you could use that.

Then each time you go to your wallet, type in "durdleman" in the "Identifier" field.

Easy-peasy!  Smiley

This, and the IRS would never know it's you.  Roll Eyes
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 07:54:53 AM

Who has ever typed a Bitcoin Address?
We don't even type Account Numbers, most of the time.
So, who cares, how they look, how long they are.
Typing them is just another point of failure.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 08:11:15 AM

I had to do this once for a localbitcoins transaction. Buyer did not have a QR code for me to scan. I typed it in from reading it, then he read it off, then I read it off.

When it happened again with someone else I realized he could just copy and paste the address to me in a message.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 10:10:23 AM

I had to do this once for a localbitcoins transaction. Buyer did not have a QR code for me to scan. I typed it in from reading it, then he read it off, then I read it off.

When it happened again with someone else I realized he could just copy and paste the address to me in a message.

Or, you could've created a QR-code on the fly: https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 10:21:21 AM

Or, you could've created a QR-code on the fly: https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/

Thanks. I'll have to keep that in mind if that ever comes up again.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Skinnyman

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 10:33:19 AM

Easy-peasy!  Smiley

I don't think that's what he's asking though. He wants to be able to make it easier for people to send him money by just having a handle of sorts. Personally I think it would make bitcoin a bit more user friendly if there was some way to send money to their 'name' or email address or something.
Brad Pitt

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 10:42:30 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84653.0

I just saw a thread over in the alt coin section about something similar. Seems someone proposed sending bitcoin via an alias. Edit seems it was necrobumped but it may be of interest to you.
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 11:28:15 AM

GetGems app, your wallet is an alias to your username, you just type 0.1 btc and click send. Although this is exchanging with your contacts.

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 03:48:38 PM

Since we anyway copy and paste addresses, it really doesn't matter.
Moreover, you can save frequently used addresses with a tag in your bitcoin client.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 03:50:34 PM

You can use vanity addresses as well, but some say it can compromise security somehow.
fiN.

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:14:46 PM

GetGems app, your wallet is an alias to your username, you just type 0.1 btc and click send. Although this is exchanging with your contacts.

https://i.imgur.com/nmLs5bL.png

Is this the messaging app everyone has been talking about? You can send actual bitcoins with this? I thought it just used its own gems currency?
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:34:14 PM

It totally comes down to whether people want to use a centralized name service for their Bitcoin addresses and transactions. Even if some casual user were willing, this could open up the floodgates to a whole new level of scams and thefts.

neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:44:13 PM

I wonder why you cant edit the names of the addresses you create in bitcoin qt, or why there isnt a section to put them in order nicely like "friends" business" "exchanges" whatever.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:50:48 PM

I wonder why you cant edit the names of the addresses you create in bitcoin qt, or why there isnt a section to put them in order nicely like "friends" business" "exchanges" whatever.

Well I guess BitcoinQT really is just the basic reference-implementation of Bitcoin. If it comes to usability, features, and things that make people want to use Bitcoin, they're better off with third-party wallets, especially lite-wallets. Having to download the whole freaking Blockchain is the biggest caveat of BitcoinQT!

Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 06:00:01 PM

Is this the messaging app everyone has been talking about? You can send actual bitcoins with this? I thought it just used its own gems currency?

No bitcoin transactions is possible it has its own wallet, gemz tokens are used for rewarding users for participating within the network through airdrop (to be released soon along with iOS) and payments for different advertisement purposes. Android has been released, i suggest reading the community Q&A.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: