Bitcoin Forum
July 26, 2024, 01:29:10 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP Offline Client Clarification  (Read 1394 times)
matrix01 (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 30

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 06:00:32 AM

Fellow Forum Members,
I am new to Armory. Can someone please clarify the following. Regarding the offline Armory client. Is one obligated to use as the offline client the UBUNTU offline bundle available for download in the link below?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-releases/armory_0.92.3_offline_ubuntu_12.04-64.tar.gz

Or does one have the option to use the Windows Installer version available for download in the link below for both the online and offline Armory client?

]https[Suspicious link removed]

The reason I ask is because I do not want to spend anytime messing with Ubuntu. It's a very user unfriendly operating system and I just prefer to stick with something I know which is Windows for both the online and offline armory clients. Therefore, can't the same Windows Armory download be installed on a PC that is not connected to the internet as well to a second PC that is connected to the internet?  

If the answer is no, what is the reasoning behind being obligated to use only Ubuntu or Rasberry as offline clients? Why can't we just stick with Windows XP or Windows 7 as an offline client?  Just curious why Armory is making things so complicated.  Right now I am having trouble adding a printer driver to my Ubuntu offline PC and this task would have been a easy if the Armory offline client was Windows and not Ubuntu.  Just my two cents.  

Any comment will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 02:39:38 PM

Note: There is no special version of Armory needed for the offline computer, and it does not need to be the same operating system as the online computer. As long as you can install Armory and use USB drives, it will work.
https://bitcoinarmory.com/tutorials/armory-advanced-features/offline-wallets/

The Ubuntu case is special, since Armory needs some additional software packages that are not in the general release of Ubuntu.

Whichever you choose, make sure you get it from the official site and check the file hash at least.
https://bitcoinarmory.com/download/

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
matrix01 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 03:37:55 PM

Newar,
Thanks for the post. I already read the quote you posted the other day. However, it doesn't make it clear as day regarding my question.  Therefore, I am asking my question a second time in the hopes anyone can give me a yes or no answer.

My question is, "Can the Armory application located at the top of the Armory download page reading as shown below be installed on both an offline PC and also an online PC?

"Download 0.92.3 for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8+ (32- and 64-bit)"

Or are we obligated to install into the Offline PC only the Ubuntu 12.04 application?

In other words, "Can both the online PC and offline PC be running the Windows7 version of Armory?"

My goal is to avoid using Ubuntu for the offline PC because this OS is not user friendly.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1356

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:41:54 PM

Newar,
Thanks for the post. I already read the quote you posted the other day. However, it doesn't make it clear as day regarding my question.  Therefore, I am asking my question a second time in the hopes anyone can give me a yes or no answer.

He answered your question properly, but for further reference, I'll make this a simple yes/no.

My question is, "Can the Armory application located at the top of the Armory download page reading as shown below be installed on both an offline PC and also an online PC?

"Download 0.92.3 for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8+ (32- and 64-bit)"

Yes

Or are we obligated to install into the Offline PC only the Ubuntu 12.04 application?

No

In other words, "Can both the online PC and offline PC be running the Windows7 version of Armory?"

Yes

matrix01 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 05:01:30 PM

Goatpig,
Thanks for making it clear in your post. I was really confused about this matter because all of the YouTube videos that demonstrate Armory running on an Offline PC seem to show Ubuntu as the default operating system for offline PC cold storage operation.  And given the choice I prefer to run my offline PC using Windows and avoid the Ubuntu learning curve. Again thanks to everyone in this forum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: