Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:45:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BetterFried Labs introduces a new line of chips for miners!  (Read 11942 times)
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:09:10 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2012, 04:25:10 AM by SaltySpitoon

Thanks for that, we will look into it, but as of now, we aren't even sure if we will be able to sell the chips cheap enough to cover costs, while still being affordable, but should it be feasible, we will definately look into keeping them fresh in higher tech methods. I will say though, sitting just in ziplock bags, I have no doubt that these chips will stay fresh for a minimum of two weeks, more than long enough to have them shipped and devoured.

I should mention, I do have a vacuum sealer, but the problem with that is, that the bags are like, an extra $20, thats extra cost that I would have to relay to the buyer.

A tank full of nitrogen is also not that expensive...

I would be more worried about that browning of the chips - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide comes to mind.

That was very interesting, I did not know about that. But, be assured that all excess starch is removed from the chips before they are cooked. Any browning on the chips is due to the lack of multi million dollar steam frying equipment that big chip companies use. If you look at kettle fried chips, that are thicker, and actually still submerged in oil, you will find that they bare resemblance to our chips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:11:07 AM

Ok, so after tonight, we more than likely will be entering our final stages. I have 5 oz of chips prepared, and I will make sure they fair well over the next day or two. In that time, I will be beginning to produce lods of chips for the debut of ButterFried Labs Chips! We will start accepting orders shortly, as soon as we figure out the best way to ship, and the best increments to ship in. We will be setting our prices as low as possible, with just a little profit margin for our time and to hopefully upgrade our equipment. I want to thank you all for following ButterFried chips, and I will be happy to host any questions, comments, or concerns you may have, and I hope you will as pleased with our product as we are.

We will start by debuting just our Original flavor, I will tell you, its not just your run of the mill salt, its got a few tasty tricks up its sleeve.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 04:18:03 AM

Please tell me these are fried in your salty spitoon Grin I'll buy a ton.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:20:33 AM

Please tell me these are fried in your salty spitoon Grin I'll buy a ton.

I think if I said that I fried them in my salty SPIToon, people would get the wrong message, but they are quite good and worth a try.
fatigue

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:36:33 AM

one name idea:
Stale Share Salt and Vinegar

Slogan- "the best bite for your bit""

anyways, what flavors do you have as of yet? from the thread im seeing plain and the salt+pepper and id be interested in ordering some.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:30:39 PM

one name idea:

anyways, what flavors do you have as of yet? from the thread im seeing plain and the salt+pepper and id be interested in ordering some.

I like the name, we will probably start working on salt n vinegar some time in the nearish future. I'm not a fan of Vinegar chips, so I have to find people willing to test them for me, as well as a way of adding the vinegar flavor, as just dipping/brushing them in vinegar is probably the worst thing you could do.

So far, we have just worked on our "Original flavor" which is a Salt with a bit of something extra that just enhances the taste, but keeps the Original Salt taste, and a Salt and Pepper. But we will be working on new flavors soon. I just have to hit the grocery store and browse the spice rack to see what looks good. I know for certain we will be attempting a Salt and Vinegar, BBQ, Cajun, and we have a few ideas for other flavors. I just need to gather more people to help me test, because as good as these chips are, I do not want to eat another 8 lbs of chips. I was starting to fear for my health at that point, but have no fear, eating chips becomes work after a certain amount far less than that point.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:36:15 PM

Acrylamide is actually a quite big concern of consumers around here and chips manufacturers managed to cut the amount in half as soon as they were made aware of it that consumers don't want the stuff.

You might want to invest in a thermometer and measure the heat of your oil bath exactly - and keep it as low as possible. One thing I'd love to try is to hook up a PID controller to a temperature probe and an oil bath (so it keeps the temperature even after adding cold potato pieces) and precision cook these chips. I managed by the way to get perfectly golden chips from ordinary potatoes at home, but it's quite some work to even cook up a standard pack equivalent. Scaling up (I just used a pot and ~1 cm of oil) though might be easy.

Especially with something that can potentially poison or at least harm people though, I'd be a bit careful about selling/buying the stuff on the internet - cool names or not... maybe try to find a food lab on your nearest university that has chemistry students and talk them into testing some samples?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 06:11:31 PM

Acrylamide is actually a quite big concern of consumers around here and chips manufacturers managed to cut the amount in half as soon as they were made aware of it that consumers don't want the stuff.

You might want to invest in a thermometer and measure the heat of your oil bath exactly - and keep it as low as possible. One thing I'd love to try is to hook up a PID controller to a temperature probe and an oil bath (so it keeps the temperature even after adding cold potato pieces) and precision cook these chips. I managed by the way to get perfectly golden chips from ordinary potatoes at home, but it's quite some work to even cook up a standard pack equivalent. Scaling up (I just used a pot and ~1 cm of oil) though might be easy.

Especially with something that can potentially poison or at least harm people though, I'd be a bit careful about selling/buying the stuff on the internet - cool names or not... maybe try to find a food lab on your nearest university that has chemistry students and talk them into testing some samples?

I'm not trying to make light of the situation, but from what I have read after doing a bit of research is that Acrylamide are in nearly everything, and has been there forever. Acrylamide is found in all foods when you grill, fry, bake, toast, or roast many foods at temperatures over 250 degrees (aka everything) Now I will very well attempt to cook longer and at lower heat to prevent any Acrylamide that I possibly can, but the fact of the matter is, you will get no more harmed from the chips than you will eating lay's potato chips, or an order of fries at a fast food restaurant, but thats just that, AN ORDER of fast food fries, moderation is key.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/07/07/potato-chips.aspx

That being said, of course we will attempt to lower any Acrylamides found in the potatoes, first by soaking the potatoes to remove as much starch as possible, and I will be testing the lower heat longer cook method, but removing it all together is an impossibility. But again, fried potatoes aren't the only thing with Acrylamides in them. Bread also contains a realitively high amount, as well as rice and cereals. Now I know this is not light matter, but I'v found the only way to avoid Acrylamides is to do a "No Grain" vegan diet without any starchy vegetables either, which honestly very few people do right now.

Our goal is to provide no more Acrylamides in our chips as you would normally get eating a regular diet.

What in our diets provides Acrylamides?

Potatoes: chips, French fries and other roasted or fried potato foods
Grains: bread crust, toast, crisp bread, roasted breakfast cereals and various processed snacks
Coffee; roasted coffee beans and ground coffee powder. Surprisingly, coffee substitutes based on chicory actually contains 2-3 times MORE acrylamide than real coffee

And Acrylamides aren't our only food based carcinogens,

Heterocyclic Amines (HCAs): These form when meat is cooked at high temperatures, and they're also linked to cancer. In terms of HCA, the worst part of the meat is the blackened section, which is why you should always avoid charring your meat, and never eat blackened sections.
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs): When fat drips onto the heat source, causing excess smoke, and the smoke surrounds your food, it can transfer cancer-causing PAHs to the meat.
Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs): When food is cooked at high temperatures (including when it is pasteurized or sterilized), it increases the formation of AGEs in your food. When you eat the food, it transfers the AGEs into your body. AGEs build up in your body over time leading to oxidative stress, inflammation and an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes and kidney disease.

and, heres my last statement. "A three-year long EU project, known as Heat-Generated Food Toxicants (HEATOX), whose findings were published at the end of 2007, found there are more than 800 heat-induced compounds, of which 52 are potential carcinogens. In addition to their finding that acrylamide does pose a public health threat, the HEATOX scientists also discovered that you're far less likely to ingest dangerous levels of the toxin when you eat home-cooked foods compared to industrially or restaurant-prepared foods."
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 12:55:40 AM

I'm concerned about that "something extra:" billy bob will sue you if he's allergic to it. Make sure you give a full ingredient list.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 01:29:53 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 01:44:57 AM by SaltySpitoon

I'm concerned about that "something extra:" billy bob will sue you if he's allergic to it. Make sure you give a full ingredient list.

I wonder how KFC gets around that, by just being able to say 11 secret herbs and spices? In our case, they are herbs and spices, but if I gave it away, it would kind of ruin the secret recipe.

On a side note, do you think people would be turned away from our chips if we renamed them KancerKrisps?
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 01:45:42 AM

Yes
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 02:02:40 AM

I wonder how KFC gets around that, by just being able to say 11 secret herbs and spices? In our case, they are herbs and spices, but if I gave it away, it would kind of ruin the secret recipe.

On a side note, do you think people would be turned away from our chips if we renamed them KancerKrisps?
Carcino-crisps

what doesnt cause cancer nowadays

hi
CecilNiosaki

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 02:19:51 AM

I believe the difference between that and this is that KFC is a restaurant, whereas you're selling a consumable product that isn't in a restaurant.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:23:18 AM

I believe the difference between that and this is that KFC is a restaurant, whereas you're selling a consumable product that isn't in a restaurant.

That doesn't... that..  what?

I don't think thats entirely true, see: coca cola

hi
fatigue

Activity: 196

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:30:34 AM

Anyone eating delicious fried potatoes probably doesn't care too much about things like this... i for one, dont.

one name idea:

I like the name, we will probably start working on salt n vinegar some time in the nearish future. I'm not a fan of Vinegar chips, so I have to find people willing to test them for me, as well as a way of adding the vinegar flavor, as just dipping/brushing them in vinegar is probably the worst thing you could do.

So far, we have just worked on our "Original flavor" which is a Salt with a bit of something extra that just enhances the taste, but keeps the Original Salt taste, and a Salt and Pepper. But we will be working on new flavors soon. I just have to hit the grocery store and browse the spice rack to see what looks good. I know for certain we will be attempting a Salt and Vinegar, BBQ, Cajun, and we have a few ideas for other flavors. I just need to gather more people to help me test, because as good as these chips are, I do not want to eat another 8 lbs of chips. I was starting to fear for my health at that point, but have no fear, eating chips becomes work after a certain amount far less than that point.

Glad you like the name. If you ever feel like shipping out for a tester, give me a holler.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:15:36 PM

Glad you like the name. If you ever feel like shipping out for a tester, give me a holler.

If anyone would be to help us test, it would be the person that suggested the flavor (aka you). If we start getting little bit of capital, and can afford to ship samples, we definitely will.

I'm not sure how we will disclose what is in the chips without giving away the recipes, but I can guarantee it wont be MSG or various preservatives/flavor enhancers, it will be more along the lines of 1/8th tsp nutmeg, 1/16 tsp Cayyenne pepper. Something very few people should have issues with. Something just to add a slight bit of intrigue to an otherwise old recipe.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:56:55 PM

That doesn't... that..  what?

I don't think thats entirely true, see: coca cola
Ever read the ingredients label on a coke can? It's all there. They just don't tell you the proportions or how they make their "artificial flavoring"
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:59:12 PM

Ever read the ingredients label on a coke can? It's all there. They just don't tell you the proportions or how they make their "artificial flavoring"
nnnnno.... "Natural Flavors" as listed on a coke can consists of several secret ingredients that few people know. The actual ingredients are not listed.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:23:58 PM

Then I assume that nobody is allergic to "Natural flavors" Tongue
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:58:33 AM

Then I assume that nobody is allergic to "Natural flavors" Tongue

I suppose. Anyway, like I said, rest assured, these "special / secret" ingredients aren't flavor enhancers (MSG), or weird acids, or chemicals, or things I don't know how to spell (and I'm terrible at spelling, so you are safe). My definition of a secret ingredient is a spice or seasoning that can be purchased from a grocery store that adds a bit of intrigue to a taste.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: