Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:36:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinPortable (Portable Bitcoin wrapper)  (Read 16274 times)
Tritonio (OP)

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

Vanity of vanities; all is vanity...

View Profile
August 28, 2010, 08:13:09 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2019, 03:53:34 PM by Tritonio

I had been running bitcoin from my external hard drive for some time and carry it around to other computers too.
I used the a batch file I had made based mostly on instructions given by other users of this forum. I ha also added some basic backup capabilities.

Today I decided to make a proper wrapper for a portable Bitcoin installation. I hope that nobody else has made one already...

I used AutoIt3 to write it. Here are the basic features:

1. It runs portably. (wow!)
2. It creates gzipped backups of your wallet every time you run it.
3. It launches correctly no matter what the working directory is.
4. It shows a progressbar with an ETA of when the Bitcoin window will appear while it's loading. (based on time it took the previous time)
5. Option to add custom command line parameters.
6. Encryption support using GPG. The wallet gets encrypted between runs of BitcoinPortable.
7. It can send all your balance to another address every hour.

Changelog:
 1: Initial version.
 2: Renames the startup link, starts Bitcoin, waits 10 seconds, deletes any new startup link, renames back the old link.
 3: Bincoin is now set to idle priority after ten seconds for a faster startup (it was 0 seconds after it's window appeared)
    StartupTime is now the average of it's previous value and the new startup time. (50-50 ratio)
    UPnP support. (using UPnPPW, a closed source Sad command line UPnP port forwarder which has to be manually downloaded)
    Encryption support using GPG. The wallet gets encrypted between runs of BitcoinPortable.
    Compression handled by GPG when the wallet is encrypted.
    Downloads a the blockchain from a server if it doesn't exist, to save time.
    It can send all your balance to another address every hour.
    Option to add custom command line parameters.
    First time wizard added.
 4: Fixed a bug where gpg keyrings and other files were left behind.
 5: No longer lowers the priority of the Bitcoin process.
    The blockchain feature needs Bitcoin v0.4 to work.
 6: Compatible with the qt version.

Instructions:
Just run it. It has a first time wizard that will help you.

Tell me what you think. Suggestions are most welcomed.

Download version 6:
Source code + EXE
Ready 2 Run version (contains Bitcoin 0.4.0 and blockchain) (out of date for now)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
snrlx

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2010, 08:41:02 PM

Wow. Awesome. I was just about to see if anybody had made this and then this popped up in my face. Once I get me some Bitcoins I'll see about tipping you.
Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2010, 09:04:48 PM

Wow. Awesome. I was just about to see if anybody had made this and then this popped up in my face. Once I get me some Bitcoins I'll see about tipping you.

No worries, a bug report or a suggestion is better than a tip. ;-)

Which version did you try?
Anonymous

August 29, 2010, 08:07:46 AM

Nice! 10 bitcoins for you good sir!

One more step closer to running bitcoin on my mobile. Grin

I just bought a usb drive from here - https://www.ironkey.com/personal it has its own browser on the usb drive so I can now fully use bitcoin with military grade cryptographic protection . Smiley Now if someone tries to access my bitcoin 10 times with an incorrect password it wipes everything.....
   Cheesy
Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2010, 08:38:22 AM

Thank you very much! :-D
I just bought a usb drive from here - https://www.ironkey.com/personal it has its own browser on the usb drive so I can now fully use bitcoin with military grade cryptographic protection . Smiley Now if someone tries to access my bitcoin 10 times with an incorrect password it wipes everything.....
   Cheesy
Aaah the ironkey. I always wanted one of these. How does it ask for the decryption keys when you plug it? I suppose that it is reconized as a read only medium containing the unlocking software and then after it autoruns and you type the pass, it switches to a regular USB flash drive. Am I right?
Anonymous

August 29, 2010, 09:26:55 AM

Thank you very much! :-D
   Cheesy
Aaah the ironkey. I always wanted one of these. How does it ask for the decryption keys when you plug it? I suppose that it is reconized as a read only medium containing the unlocking software and then after it autoruns and you type the pass, it switches to a regular USB flash drive. Am I right?

Yes except the password keys are protected from brute-forcing using hardware based encryption.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2010, 01:42:49 PM

One more step closer to running bitcoin on my mobile. Grin

Cheesy

That seems overkill, is it not possible to lock it out for a week or something after 10 tries? It would be cool if you had multiple safe and it could send your coins on the Nth false pword then let the attacker in to see there are no coins. Eh, maybe bad if new coins were coming in.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 05:29:24 PM

Hello! I have the next version ready and I am testing it now. Here is the current changelog:

1. Bincoin is now set to idle priority after ten seconds for a faster startup (it was 0 seconds after it's window appeared)
2. StartupTime is now the average of it's previous value and the new startup time. (90-10 ratio)
3. UPnP support. (using UPnPPW, a closed source Sad command line UPnP port forwarder)
4. Encryption support using GPG. The wallet get encrypted between runs of BitcoinPortable
5. Compression handled by GPG when the wallet is encrypted.

Any more ideas? Some kind of autoupdate or blockchain download?
vess

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2010, 05:38:37 PM

What about autosend to an address? That way it could run uninterrupted somewhere and end up in a main account.

I'm the CEO of CoinLab (www.coinlab.com) and the Executive Director of the Bitcoin Foundation, I will identify if I'm speaking for myself or one of the organizations when I post from this account.
Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 10:03:03 PM

What about autosend to an address? That way it could run uninterrupted somewhere and end up in a main account.

It can be done but why would that be a useful feature for a portable wrapper?  Undecided I could make it another script though. Install bitcoin somewhere and then run this script.
You can already do this I think with a scheduled task and the bitcoind.exe. (you'll have to enable the JSON API though)
Anonymous

August 30, 2010, 11:21:35 PM

It can be done but why would that be a useful feature for a portable wrapper?  Undecided I could make it another script though. Install bitcoin somewhere and then run this script.
You can already do this I think with a scheduled task and the bitcoind.exe. (you'll have to enable the JSON API though)

That would be a nice feature.
vess

Activity: 141

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2010, 02:44:09 AM

I have the analog right now for my linux boxen, although it's on an internet share: uncompress the client, set up the config file properly, install a recent block set, get the optimal configuration up and running, and cron a job to send me any generated coins. I call it my botnet script, although sadly for me, I own all the bots it runs on. : ).

If I administered a whole bunch of windows machines, I would want a similar solution is my point.

I'm the CEO of CoinLab (www.coinlab.com) and the Executive Director of the Bitcoin Foundation, I will identify if I'm speaking for myself or one of the organizations when I post from this account.
Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2010, 04:42:33 PM

Version 3 is out. :-) I hope it works, I hope you like it. :-)

A bug I have no idea how to fix is that if you select the encrypted wallet and you shutdown the system, it will not be encrypted, it won't cause any trouble, it just won't be encrypted that time.

I updated the initial post. Check it for download links and features...
Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2010, 10:35:06 AM

Doh! I found a stupid bug that appeared when you run it with a different working directory than the one where it existed. It would say that it cannot decrypt your wallet (scary) but you could anyway decrypt it with GPG directly. Angry I fixed it and I am uploading the new versions (it'll take 15min)
Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2010, 11:44:40 AM

Just fixed another bug where some GPG files where left in a parental directory.
pharaon

Activity: 753

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 12:08:04 PM

how to set bitcoin.exe to use "bitcoin.cfg" with your "PortableBitcoin" ?

Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 05:39:28 PM

The first time you run the wrapper it will guide you through a setup process. I think that the final step allows you to define extra parameters to be passed to bitcoin.exe. I don't know if what you try to do can be done via extra parameters though.

Also there might be problems since I use a specific configuration file so that the wrapper can communicate with the client.

If you still have problems tell me and I'll take a better look trying to find a solution.
Tritonio (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:19:34 AM

Some minor changes in version 5. Download links remain the same.
; 5: No longer lowers the priority of the Bitcoin process.
;    The blockchain feature needs Bitcoin v0.4 to work.

I updated the R2R version too but it will take quite some time to upload. This blockchain is HUGE!!!

PS: Someone made this too: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18870.0
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 02:49:47 AM

I don't understand what's the point of sending btc to another address every hours.

Also the link when tweeting is github 404
BurntSnow

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 08:28:33 AM

Mac support?

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██