Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:47:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we buy bitcoin.com ?  (Read 11191 times)
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2011, 10:09:37 PM

Rofl if it happens will this be the first second-hand buy of a bitcoin domain in its history? Anyone flipped one of their regs yet?

Actually, I bought coinbalance.com for $7 not long ago because it seemed bitcoin-related, but just sold it yesterday for $250 to someone who doesn't seem to be part of bitcoin community at all... he'll be using it for a completely unrelated site.

That's some namepros shite right there man, gg ...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
french

Activity: 20
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 10:52:13 PM

Rofl if it happens will this be the first second-hand buy of a bitcoin domain in its history? Anyone flipped one of their regs yet?

Actually, I bought coinbalance.com for $7 not long ago because it seemed bitcoin-related, but just sold it yesterday for $250 to someone who doesn't seem to be part of bitcoin community at all... he'll be using it for a completely unrelated site.

Where did you sell it for that much at?
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Where did you sell it for that much at?

Someone just happened to contact me privately on the catch-all I had set up.

Alex Beckenham

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 11:27:42 PM

That's some namepros shite right there man, gg ...

Um, thanks? I'd never heard of namepros til you just mentioned it... checking it out now Smiley

bittrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 11:44:26 PM

Has anyone contacted the owner of bitcoin.com to see if he's interested in selling? At at what price?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:00:41 AM

simple: ddos the site, and then offer to buy it.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:05:25 AM

There's nothing there to ddos anyway.

gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:08:56 AM

then kill the owner and talk to the widow

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 03:27:47 AM

then kill the owner and talk to the widow

then kill talk and ddos widow ghost&repeat.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:45:21 AM

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yesssssss.

preciooouuuusssssss....  Smiley
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 08:51:16 PM

I agree, I think we should stick with just .org, but if you don't buy the .com domain, something like this is likely to happen:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9288.0

So for the Brazilian .com domain it looks like you're too late.

TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 09:07:17 PM

I tried that, and Google replied "Did you mean: bitcom.org?".
+1

I vote we don't give a fuck about bitcoin.com Cheesy

+1 Seconded.

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
zellfaze

Activity: 141
Merit: 101

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 08:37:27 PM

Couldn't we purchase the .com domain and just forward it to the .org domain.  That is what Slashdot and sf.net both do.  Hell even EFF has done it (eff.net forwards to eff.org).

It wouldn't affect our rankings in the search engines at all.  Particularly if we set the .com to redirect to the .org using 301 redirect.

(Note: I started writing this post a few hours before it was actually posted. I may have missed a few posts in the conversation.)

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
Beau

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:26:25 AM

I think that we should buy the domain. If it helps get just a few people interested in bitcoins it will be well worth the investment.
Has anyone talked to the owner about how much he wants for it? If we decide to do a group buy message me and I might chip in.

We should leave .com behind, as well as any other domain tainted by the VeriSign ToS. It is through the wording of the VeriSign ToS that U.S. Homeland Security thugs have been able to execute their capricious domain name take-downs.
Bitcoin will never be mainstream with this sort of attitude.

You have to decide what you want:  Idealism, or realistic achievements and steps in the right direction?

+1

Do you guys not understand how many people will NOT join bitcoins because bitcoin.com doesn't go anywhere?

Sure, verisign could shut it down.  But that doesn't happen often.  And you'd still have the advantage of using the domain in the meantime.

+1

Couldn't we purchase the .com domain and just forward it to the .org domain.  That is what Slashdot and sf.net both do.  Hell even EFF has done it (eff.net forwards to eff.org).

It wouldn't affect our rankings in the search engines at all.  Particularly if we set the .com to redirect to the .org using 301 redirect.

(Note: I started writing this post a few hours before it was actually posted. I may have missed a few posts in the conversation.)

+1

I think no, it doesn't matter. People these days simply search for something on Google or another search engine, they don't randomly type in bitcoin.com.

Oh yes, they type "bitcoin.com" into Google.

My guess is that kind of users would not be able to use bitcoin in its current state anyway.

Would you rather bitcoins to stay as they are now or to become widely accepted by the 'general' public?
We cant alienate people that aren't as tech savvy as the rest of us.
AllYourBase

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:21:28 PM

If you aren't tech savvy enough to figure out .org GTFO. 

I for one will not encourage anyone to checkout bitcoin who isn't open to the idea of decentralized currencies free from inflation.
generalunited

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:30:34 PM

i'm new to bitcoin - but with the increased value of the actual bitcoins, grabbing bitcoin.com should be rather trivial for the community - someone should just grab it. offer $500 - that could work, if not, offer $5000 --- or shesh - offer bitcoins - thats much more valuable then dollars already anyway....

that said - .bit is a great idea and definitely in line with what i gather is the spirit of the community. again, with the increased value of bitcoins the community should be able to float the $150k application fee/registration for a new top level domain and the $25k yearly maintenance fee.

personally, i'm on a mission to bend the web to be more understandable to regular people - from kids to old folks --- and am using ".is" - the top level domain of iceland - to accomplish this.

so i picked up http://coin.is --- which can reference http://bit.coin.is as well... or any other varient on the the cryptocurrency coin concept --- such as name.coin.is/ etc...

basically 'bitcoin' just redefined 'coin' at the root of it all --- do average people say they are downloading bittorrents or just torrents? nope. they call them 'torrents' --- bitcoins would well served to bank on that and mainstream a takeover of the word 'coin'

http://coin.is/1Gy8cVUKykZqQ5MmCyKMCi7ExwY8NvgeLA

can i have coins please?
AllYourBase

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:27:44 PM

with the increased value of bitcoins the community should be able to float the $150k application fee/registration for a new top level domain and the $25k yearly maintenance fee.

I see no need for this, and I'd prefer if you'd not volunteer my money to be spent in this way.  No need for collective phrases such as "the community".  If you think it's essential, I recommend starting a thread with a bounty for getting the domain setup correctly. 
Beau

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:13:04 PM

If you aren't tech savvy enough to figure out .org GTFO. 

I for one will not encourage anyone to checkout bitcoin who isn't open to the idea of decentralized currencies free from inflation.

Do we really want a bunch of non-tech/security savvy users whining about lost coins from hard drive crashes, trojans, forgotten/stolen passwords,  accidentally deleted files, [insert lame excuse here]?

I reiterate...

.com is your grandma's domain.

These users need another layer shielding them from Bitcoin, just as your average investor needs a fund shielding them from the nitty-gritty of options/futures trading.

Yes, I'm sure making it that bitcoin stays being only excepted by a few online shops is defenetely the way to go /end sarcasm/

Doesn't anyone see that to make businesses except bitcoins as a method of payment a lot more people need to start using it, and not just those who know there way around PHP and C++ or even just top level domains.
Floomi

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:34:49 PM

Agreed with the sentiment already expressed: we should buy bitcoin.com if possible. If the currency is to take off, the Average Joes and soccer moms need to start using it, and refusing to take a .com domain simple because of ideology is, at the most polite, not pragmatic.

This is also completely distinct from the argument of "your grandma couldn't use bitcoin anyway, it's too complicated; she'd need a vastly simplified interface". Indeed, that would be a more than legitimate - and likely quite productive - use of the bitcoin.com domain.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:42:35 PM

I tried that, and Google replied "Did you mean: bitcom.org?".
+1

I vote we don't give a fuck about bitcoin.com Cheesy

+1 to that!
I found bitcoinsfrom remembering that you could run a screensaver to donate your cpu cycles when your Away so i had a bright idea to type in donate cpu cycles for cash and found a new world on the internet with its own ecnomoy and constantly active userbase. No no lets not male this main stream let the 4chan children find this one by them selves. Bitcoins shouldnt have to "put it self out there" it should be so explosive that people find out about from word of mouth. When you hear things comming from a close friend youll habe More trusting view point about it instead of finding it out the internet and think its for terrorist and drug money laundering.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: