Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:07:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Resolved] Dispute against -> lolwut  (Read 2114 times)
cuz0882

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:16:05 AM

I havn't downloaded anything in months but I never ever got a threat letter. Don't you use peerblock, or use any other ways to prevent them watching.

I believe a VPN is the only way to stop it. Even your internet provider can't watch your traffic. Large copyright holders seem to be distributing their own work through torrents. Then they just make a list of all the ip's downloading it. Then they contact your ISP. It's possible they are watching torrent traffic some other way, I have not really looked into it. They appear to only notice certain downloads. Recent releases, I wouldn't worry about anything over a year old. Also, if your not using a large ISP company like verizon or charter. You probably won't hear from them. Your ISP is not required to take any action without a court order, but you know how those large companies are...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 08:57:25 AM

I havn't downloaded anything in months but I never ever got a threat letter. Don't you use peerblock, or use any other ways to prevent them watching.

I believe a VPN is the only way to stop it. Even your internet provider can't watch your traffic. Large copyright holders seem to be distributing their own work through torrents. Then they just make a list of all the ip's downloading it. Then they contact your ISP. It's possible they are watching torrent traffic some other way, I have not really looked into it. They appear to only notice certain downloads. Recent releases, I wouldn't worry about anything over a year old. Also, if your not using a large ISP company like verizon or charter. You probably won't hear from them. Your ISP is not required to take any action without a court order, but you know how those large companies are...
You just need to download a blocklist of known bad IPs and use this in your torrent program - Vuze has an IP Filters option where you import the list. Bluetack distributes such a list, but since they are in "donation telethon" mode, here's a link to the July 10 list.

VPN (or whatever you think that means) won't do anything, as the "P" in P2P is peer - by the very definition, you are sharing with others you don't know, who can monitor your downloading - just making the connection with peers "secure" doesn't matter, since you can't "trust" anybody not to be the bad guys. You can block some suspect IP addresses though.

I'll bet somebody would have bought you a ticket to Spiderman for 3 BTC...
PTseller (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:50:42 PM

Hello BadBear Please lock the thread Smiley all clear
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:57:08 PM

VPN (or whatever you think that means) won't do anything, as the "P" in P2P is peer - by the very definition, you are sharing with others you don't know, who can monitor your downloading - just making the connection with peers "secure" doesn't matter, since you can't "trust" anybody not to be the bad guys. You can block some suspect IP addresses though.

What are you talking about?

By using a VPN proxy the bad seeders only get the VPN proxy address.  Your ISP ip address remains hidden to the entire p2p cloud.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: