Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:51:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I switch from Bitstamp to something else?  (Read 2324 times)
Wary (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 12:27:00 AM

Isn't it time to switch from stamp to some other exchange?
Stamp's volume is going down, so big slippage, it's fee is higher (0.2-0.5% vs 0.1-0.2% at finex). And it's been hacked.

If switch, to which one? Are other exchanges even more risky? Hacking, goxing, ban, ...

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 12:30:33 AM

Finex, if you're a good trader. You can make bank on leverage. But only if you're a good trader and know how to limit risk, set stops, etc. Would not recommend to newbs.
Wary (OP)

Who's there?

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 01:04:56 AM

Finex, if you're a good trader. You can make bank on leverage. But only if you're a good trader and know how to limit risk, set stops, etc. Would not recommend to newbs.
Thanks. Although I'm too wary Smiley for leverage.

ronald98

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 01:31:09 AM

The Kraken is low volume but had some sort of audit.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 01:31:40 AM

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 01:34:10 AM

Hehe true, the market makers regularly gun for them, so I refrain from using them myself.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 03:37:34 AM

I would be a bit cautious about stamp now.  They are following a similar pattern as all other failed exchanges.  First they get hacked and then volume starts to decline.  Who knows how much they really lost.  Maybe they will have a (trustworthy) audit and prove they are solvent.  Until then I would avoid them like the plague.  If we start seeing complaints about withdrawals not going through (fiat or bitcoin) and unresponsive support, then we know something is up.  They could still correct the situation, but they have started down that path.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 10:17:06 AM

btc-e is actually quite useable if you disable the trollbox.
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:17:13 AM

what is this anti-stamp campaign?

to me it is pretty obvious that trading on bitfinex carries more risks than btc-e or bitstamp.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 10:20:06 AM

to me it is pretty obvious that trading on bitfinex carries more risks than btc-e or bitstamp.

Don't you know, we evil alternate exchange users are payed to badmouth the dominant one because our providers are jealous of their success, we brought down gox and stamp is next. Mwhahahahaha!
tarmi
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:30:22 AM

bitstamp isn't dominant, never was.
Wary (OP)

Who's there?

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:31:05 AM

Not at all. In fact, bitstamp is the best exchange I've ever used (I've used only two of them so far, stamp and gox Grin).

It's what I'm most interested in. Which risks are you referring to? Why are they higher in bitfinex and lower at btc-e? Could you elaborate?

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 10:32:24 AM

Right, it seems out shilling masters aren't that picky. Bonus points if you get your shilling checks from a bank and an exchange!
tarmi
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:34:35 AM

Not at all. In fact, bitstamp is the best exchange I've ever used
[I've used only two so far, stamp and gox  Grin]. So asking people about other exchanges.

It's what I'm most interested in. Which risks are you referring to? Why are they higher in bitfinex and lower at btc-e? Could you elaborate?

because insider trading, trading on margins, front end algos/bots prevening crashes, etc.

if they fuck up something guess who will pay.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:36:41 AM

Thanks. Although I'm too wary Smiley for leverage.

Dont be scared.. Just know your limits and play within them. Futures are a real good money making opportunity if you can predict right. Just dont be a bitch otherwise you can go broke real fast.

P.s. Use localbitcoins or a btm if you need to sell some.. never use these centralized exchanges.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 10:41:03 AM

He can't because it doesn't fit into his mindset, he just parrots whatever is considered the most "pro Bitcoin" at the time.

The risks you have with btc-e are they are in an obscure eastern European country, and Anonymous.
With bitfinex you are risking being defrauded by frontrunning from them (forcing a short/long squeeze).

On the other hand neither btc-e of bitfinex pretends to be Captains of Industry which is, imo a huge plus.
Wary (OP)

Who's there?

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:42:01 AM

tarmi, Bobsurplus  - thanks.

Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:43:41 AM

tarmi, Bobsurplus  - thanks.

YW!
catena5260

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 11:06:40 AM

Bitstamp has the habit of harassing the customers with verification things, sometimes freezing funds for a big while.

Also they proved to be sort of sloppy with security
ogdenmorten

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 11:12:16 AM

still - i prefer bitstamp over bittfinex
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: