Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:28:27 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I switch from Bitstamp to something else?  (Read 2322 times)
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 12:05:59 PM

Reply to OP , yes you should switch to something else. Hold your own bitcoin on your own wallet in your own control, don't leave them on an exchange. Remember, MtGox ... Bitcoinica.. Mintpal .. I'm sure theres others too, all exchanges eventually disappear taking your coins with them. 
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 12:06:53 PM

Meh. Difficult question, basically asking: pick the lesser of all the existing pure evils Cheesy

For me, stamp is still the most trustworthy exchange that I can trade on.

Here's why: Kraken looks like a great alternative, at least as trustworthy as stamp, but volume is non-existent.

I've used Btc-e and finex, but the fact that they're outside the EU's jurisdiction makes me not trust them all that much. That, times 100, for the Chinese exchanges.

Bitstamp has two major pro arguments in favor of it: a) registered in the EU, with accounts at a EU bank. Might not mean much to you, but to me it does.
b) major outside investment (10M USD, by Panterra).

Now for the bad side: a) they were hacked (but so far there's no evidence that this led to any shortage of funds - no withdrawal delays that I know of), and b) their volume is obviously declining (possibly because of fees being a bit high).

So, I'm still considering Bitstamp my best option, but by an increasingly smaller margin. I already asked them to do another financial audit, to prove at the very least the control of the amount of coins we expect them to have (yeah, I know, that's not a 100% safe way of auditing, but e.g. mtgox would have failed even that "basic" audit).

If we can get this audit within a reasonable time (about a month I can accept) I'll stay at stamp, if they fail to do, I'll start moving away from them, if for not other reason than out of principle.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Wary (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:51:51 AM

Meh. Difficult question, basically asking: pick the lesser of all the existing pure evils Cheesy

Here's why: Kraken looks like a great alternative, at least as trustworthy as stamp, but volume is non-existent.

I've used Btc-e and finex, but the fact that they're outside the EU's jurisdiction makes me not trust them all that much. That, times 100, for the Chinese exchanges.

Bitstamp has two major pro arguments in favor of it: a) registered in the EU, with accounts at a EU bank. Might not mean much to you, but to me it does.

Now for the bad side: a) they were hacked (but so far there's no evidence that this led to any shortage of funds - no withdrawal delays that I know of), and b) their volume is obviously declining (possibly because of fees being a bit high).

So, I'm still considering Bitstamp my best option, but by an increasingly smaller margin. I already asked them to do another financial audit, to prove at the very least the control of the amount of coins we expect them to have (yeah, I know, that's not a 100% safe way of auditing, but e.g. mtgox would have failed even that "basic" audit).

If we can get this audit within a reasonable time (about a month I can accept) I'll stay at stamp, if they fail to do, I'll start moving away from them, if for not other reason than out of principle.
Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'll stick with stamp for the moment. Give them a chance to gox improve.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:09:29 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2us50p/psa_bitstamp_bank_is_rejecting_wires/

Undecided Undecided Undecided
Mieehayii

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:51:42 AM

which one do you prefer to? simple exchange like bitstamp is very less, you have little leeway to choose, lakebtc btc-e kraken..

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████
███          ▀███   ████████   ██    ▀█████████   ██           ▀████   █████
███   █████▄   ██   ████████   ██      ▀███████   ██   ██████▄   ███   █████
███   ██████   ██   ████████   ██   █▄   ▀█████   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███   █████▀   ██   ████████   ██   ███▄   ▀███   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███          ▄███   ▀██████▀   ██   █████▄   ▀█   ██   ███████▀   ██   █████
███   ▄▄▄▄▄███████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███   ███████▄      ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄███   █████
███   █████████████▄        ▄████   █████████▄    ██        ▄▄▄█████   █████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
.Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
[[[ Whitepaper    Twitter     Facebook]]]
[[[  Telegram      Medium     Youtube ]]]
bigtimespaghetti
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

bigtimespaghetti.com

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 07:55:32 AM

That sounds like a bank issue rather than stamp?

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
       ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
    █▓░   ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
Physical Coin Making Guide Book and eBook- Make your own physical crypto coins and wallets!
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
    ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
  █▓░     ░░▒▓█
█▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
        ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     █▓░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
gotmilk_

Activity: 442
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 09:01:57 AM

Even with lower volume Bitstamp is still the best exchange around. Personally I don't trust Bitfinex so I don't hold much btc there.
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 09:02:35 AM

I really like Bitfinex. No issues. So far so good.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
WeltMaster

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 09:09:58 AM

...They could still correct the situation...

Exactly, and their actions so far are not very convincing.

They need to PROVE they are worthy, like through an audit, or the volume going back up.

I honestly don't think -any- of the larger exchanges hold ALL the bitcoins they should. Fractional reserve isn't exactly illegal (as far as I'm aware), and for exchanges it's a pretty easy way of using funds that would otherwise be tied down.

If they are, the real question is in the case of a coin-run, can they liquidate enough to provide full customer reimbursement? I'd hope so..

I could be totally wrong but until they provide an audit from a trusted third party I'd always assume the worst.
JustAnotherSheep

Activity: 239
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 12:22:35 AM

I am also considering switching due to the rapidly shrinking volume on Stamp, which is more and more messing with my trades there, as well as the ever-nagging feeling that I am on a sinking ship Cheesy

At the very least, 19k BTC (or ~$4m at current prices) will undoubtedly be a massive drain on their resources and may lead to lower quality service for some time (or, if they haven't got the funds to pay it back now, then for a very long time, given the fleeing volume and thus less fee revenue), which could result in even more people jumping ship.
My mind goes to the (among other things) extreme trade engine lag Gox had for the last year of its existence, which at the time seemed very odd considering an exchange is basically a money printing machine and so upgrading hardware shouldn't have been a problem, but as it later turned out it was most likely due to lack of money from the hack.

I'd prefer to migrate to OKCoin but their BTCUSD pair volume is pretty low (although it does look to be growing), and Bitfinex currently dominates. As a result, at least from what I've observed the past few weeks, Finex seems to be usually leading and giving the best signals. As it stands now I'm doing most analysis on Finex charts and trying to trade how I expect Stamp will follow lol.

I'm somewhat aversive to Bitfinex though. At least OKCoin seems to have a far more dedicated and serious team behind it, and if their volume keeps growing to rival that of Finex then I'll probably switch (unless Stamp has audited by that point and regained trust and volume). Although Coinbase I suppose would be the optimal option if/when they get enough volume and open up to non-US customers.

Is it a bull? Is it a bear? No, it's just another sheep.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: