View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 07:08:30 AM

If you're willing to drive them there, why not just turn them in yourself?

bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 07:32:35 AM

If you're willing to drive them there, why not just turn them in yourself?
It'd be against the law for me to turn them in.
It's easy to detect when someone has an Ohio license and Ohio plates. A lot harder to detect when it's Michigan license/Michigan plates.

fabrizziop

Activity: 506

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 12:45:19 PM

They really ask you for your documents when leaving cans?. Just say you're a hobo and got no ID nor car.
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 01:16:44 PM

They really ask you for your documents when leaving cans?. Just say you're a hobo and got no ID nor car.

They search parking lots for cars with outside of Michigan plates. There's a little room where you're sorting cans, they can ask you to show them your ID or leave.
When you leave, they can follow you to your car. Your car has your plates, you're busted.

ChanceCoats123

Activity: 682

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 03:26:07 PM

You're not really busted, you haven't broken any laws by being in Michigan with Ohio plates. Since you chose to leave instead of showing ID, you've done nothing but literally be in the state. Just go to a different plant that actually wants to make money.
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 06:57:13 PM

You're not really busted, you haven't broken any laws by being in Michigan with Ohio plates. Since you chose to leave instead of showing ID, you've done nothing but literally be in the state. Just go to a different plant that actually wants to make money.
I have broken a law when I was putting my Ohio soda cans in their Michigan refunded machines.

kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 01:42:35 AM

NEWMAN: (peering at bottle label) What is this 'MI, ten cents'?

KRAMER: That's Michigan. In Michigan you get ten cents.

NEWMAN: Ten cents!?

KRAMER: Yeah.

NEWMAN: Wait a minute. You mean you get five cents here, and ten cents there. You could round up bottles here and run 'em out to Michigan for the difference.

KRAMER: No, it doesn't work.

NEWMAN: What d'you mean it doesn't work? You get enough bottles together...

KRAMER: Yeah, you overload your inventory and you blow your margins on gasoline. Trust me, it doesn't work.

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 03:30:09 AM

NEWMAN: Wait a minute. You mean you get five cents here, and ten cents there. You could round up bottles here and run 'em out to Michigan for the difference.

KRAMER: Yeah, you overload your inventory and you blow your margins on gasoline. Trust me, it doesn't work.

pretty much this (sort of..). Wouldnt the cost in gas cancel out your profits?

Also offtopic, correct me if I'm wrong, but that signifies a deposit. That means you're paying that much extra per can/bottle when you buy them at the grocery store, and in order to get your money back, you have to bring them back to a proper recycling place?

TizzyTazzy

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 03:36:40 AM

This thread made me giggle. But I guess collecting cans can still net you some good bit of cash.

bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:53:29 AM

I don't pay 10 cents extra per can. I live in Ohio.

I drink soda a lot, so cans pile up rather quickly..

As for margins, I'd spend around about 15 dollars on gas.. considering 13 bags of cans probably contains well over 5000 soda cans, that's 250 dollars [at 5 cents each].

pretty much this (sort of..). Wouldnt the cost in gas cancel out your profits?

Also offtopic, correct me if I'm wrong, but that signifies a deposit. That means you're paying that much extra per can/bottle when you buy them at the grocery store, and in order to get your money back, you have to bring them back to a proper recycling place?
It does cost an extra 10 cents per can in Michigan. The reason they have the law is to prevent littering (who wants to just toss 2-3 dollars on the highway).

The cans are brought back to the grocery store and put into machines. The machines scan the can's bar code, and add it up. Once you are done scanning all the cans, you hit a button and it prints off a ticket. You take the ticket to the front of the store and get your money.

The reason I made this thread is because I do have quite a few cans sitting around. If I took them to a local recycling center, I'd get 50 dollars from the aluminum value (if that).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: