Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:53:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the constant push to have only the one blockchain?  (Read 2831 times)
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 04:21:17 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 05:37:42 PM by CIYAM

Although I am not against the 1MB block size limit being raised it seems to me that the entire point of "decentralisation" seems to have escaped the Bitcoin project (the core devs at least mostly seem to be completely against having other blockchains).

I certainly understand that the Bitcoin Foundation is going to have that opinion (for financial reasons) and I can understand a lot of people heavily invested in Bitcoin (such as the Winklevoss twins) also having that opinion.

But any "rational" person would surely think that having other blockchains (with different code and proofs) cannot be a *bad* thing as it alleviates the "one point of failure" that we will otherwise always have.

I don't see how "one blockchain" is ever going to service the needs of everyone (without requiring a ridiculous amount of space and without having near instant confirmations) so IMO it is simply inevitable that we are going to need many.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 04:37:06 PM

How would you impliment this change? I see no reason for business to be against the idea. If they had the proper warning they could adjust. Why would it need to devalue the current coins we all hold?

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 04:38:57 PM

How would you impliment this change? I see no reason for business to be against the idea. If they had the proper warning they could adjust. Why would it need to devalue the current coins we all hold?

I don't see why it needs to "devalue" Bitcoin at all actually - some of the use cases for Blockchains are simply "bloat" that would be far better off separated.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Jakesy

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 04:41:27 PM

Although I am not against the 1MB block size limit being raised it seems to me that the entire point of "decentralisation" seems to have escaped the Bitcoin project (the core devs at least mostly seem to be completely against having other blockchains).

I certainly understand that the Bitcoin Foundation is going to have that opinion (for financial reasons) and I can understand a lot of people heavily invested in Bitcoin (such as the Winklevoss twins) also having that opinion.

But any "rational" person would surely think that having other blockchains (with different code and proofs) cannot be a *bad* thing as it alleviates the "one point of weakness" we will otherwise always have.

I don't see how "one blockchain" is ever going to service the needs of everyone (without requiring a ridiculous amount of space and without having near instant confirmations) so IMO it is simply inevitable that we are going to need many.

Sidechains can alleviate your space issue.  With today's technology, there's not really an issue with space in the blockchain either...

But why not have just one blockchain?  It makes it that much stronger and valuable as a consensus.  Sure individual organizations can have their own blockchain (token system), serving their specific needs - but this is also possible with sidechains.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 04:45:12 PM

Sidechains can alleviate your space issue.  With today's technology, there's not really an issue with space in the blockchain either...

But why not have just one blockchain?  It makes it that much stronger and valuable as a consensus.  Sure individual organizations can have their own blockchain (token system), serving their specific needs - but this is also possible with sidechains.

Again - a "sidechain" would be dependent upon Bitcoin - so if a major flaw happens with Bitcoin then all sidechains are killed.

Not a very wise "insurance policy" IMO.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 05:19:29 PM

If there is a constant push for one blockchain, then it is only the result of what users seem to want. If users really wanted multiple blockchains, then alt coins would be much more popular.

A big part of the problem is being able to transfer funds "trustlessly" between blockchains - and this is why I created AT: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=822100.0

balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:19:41 PM

the only rational answer to why the constant push for only one blockchain is: greed

(possibly those people are too lazy or stupid to invest in other projects or trade other coins)

another point: all the HYPE feeds on this - it's simple marketing, lies, propaganda

yes, it stifles real innovation
and yes, it's even dangerous to the crypto-endavour as you correctly point out
and yes, it's inconsistent with the idea of decentralisation

and you are probably about to get flamed for noticing it  Roll Eyes
Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:27:35 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 05:40:52 PM by Billbags

But any "rational" person would surely think that having other blockchains (with different code and proofs) cannot be a *bad* thing as it alleviates the "one point of weakness" we will otherwise always have.

Note: I follow your posts and have a lot of respect for your work with CIYAM/AT but IMHO I DO NOT see the need. I do, on the other hand, see room for subjects like the ones in these three links:
http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/548/469
http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
http://www.coindesk.com/sidechains-white-paper-ecosystem-reboot/

Bitcoin itself had in the past been vulnerable to very similar things that you said happened and now see happen with altcoins these days, but fortunately THAT WINDOW IS NOW CLOSED.

Part of the definition of the bitcoin protocol includes the checking of the proof of work put into various block chains, and then choosing the one with the most work. Bitcoin has more proof-of-work in its blockchain than any other competing cryptocurrency, and so by definition it must be the one chosen, and all others ignored.

Altcoins are all very similar to Bitcoin: there is a block chain to store transactions, a consensus mechanism to build the block chain, and a cryptographic protocol to register transactions. Some prominent examples are PPCoin, Primecoin, Litecoin, and Freicoin.

Some altcoins incorporate interesting new ideas, but there is an essential feature of Bitcoin which they all lack. It is not a matter of its technology, but rather of history and community. Quite simply, a medium of exchange that is more widely accepted on the market is more useful than one which is not. This is known as the network effect. An initial imbalance between two nearly equal media of exchange will benefit whichever is more widely accepted until a single one overwhelms the rest. There is no limit to this effect: ultimately one would always expect a single currency to overcome all its competitors.

Because it was started earlier and has had a greater opportunity to grow and attract users, Bitcoin has a market larger by a wide margin than all the markets of all the altcoins put together, and this makes it vastly more useful as a currency. To defeat Bitcoin, an altcoin would require not just superior technology, but such vastly superior technology as to be an advance over Bitcoin comparable to the advance Bitcoin represents over fiat currency. Furthermore, a truly great innovation would much better serve people by being incorporated into future versions of Bitcoin rather than by requiring them to switch to something else. Indeed, the people who have proposed new ideas that are actually good, such as Zerocoin and mini-blockchain, did not develop their own currencies around them, but have simply described their usefulness as features.

The Bitcoin community is not just overwhelmingly larger but of overwhelmingly better quality as well. Bitcoin is surrounded by real entrepreneurs working hard to create new and useful services for Bitcoin. Altcoins are surrounded by loud-mouthed pretenders with irrational hopes of duplicating Nakamoto's success. This does not mean that there is anything intrinsically wrong with altcoins: the problem is simply that once Bitcoin exists, then there is no additional value, from a monetary standpoint, of creating knock-offs. Can anyone really expect to create something of value by rereleasing Bitcoin under a new name and with a few tiny changes to its source code? What makes Bitcoin great cannot easily be duplicated. Thus, while the Bitcoin community matures and grows as more and more entrepreneurs are attracted to its potential, the altcoin communities can only whine for attention.

For a new currency to take bitcoins place it would have to represent a significant improvement over bitcoin, or bitcoin would have to first FAIL before this could happen. So the question is not will bitcoin become obsolete, but will (your proposed new coin) overtake bitcoin? I don’t see any reason to believe that Altcoins represents a fundamental new innovation with meaningful improved functionality.

In physics, we learn about the concept of entropy. Entropy is often described as “chaos”, “randomness”, or “disorder”. To simplify quantum mechanics as much as possible, imagine a basket with a line drawn down the middle, and throw some balls into the basket. If all the balls are on one side of the line, that is an ordered state and has low entropy. If the balls are spread across both sides then it has higher entropy.

Now, let us take the concept of entropy and apply it to cryptocurrencies. We can imagine each cryptocurrency created has a possibility that some value can be placed within it. If all possible value is placed in bitcoin, and none in litecoin or altcoin, then this is a low entropy state. The laws of thermodynamics dictate that entropy in a system should always increase. So we should expect the total cryptocurrency value to be spread among all the possible altcoins.

Going back to our example of balls in a basket, one can easily get all the balls onto one side of the line simply by tilting the basket. This represents the concept of enthalpy, or energy within the system. Just as gravity pulls the balls onto one side of the basket, enthalpy can pull things into a higher entropic state. The most proof-of-work has been put into bitcoin, and so it takes higher energy to put any value into an altcoin.

From an entropy standpoint, there will always be alternate currencies, and the value assigned to them will always be greater than zero. But from an enthalpy standpoint, bitcoin is favored over altcoins, so the total value of each altcoin will remain very low compared to bitcoins.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
balu2

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:28:34 PM

If there is a constant push for one blockchain, then it is only the result of what users seem to want. If users really wanted multiple blockchains, then alt coins would be much more popular.

read this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=921887.0
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 05:30:58 PM

The point is not about making Bitcoin worth more or less (I am perfectly happy for it to be considered "the gold standard").

The point is that blockchain technology can do a lot of other useful things (such as tallying votes) and there is no good reason that every possible use of a blockchain should be added to the Bitcoin blockchain.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 05:40:08 PM

In regards to the "strength" of PoW I have actually developed a new proof concept which will be published (with a white paper) in the next few months (and it doesn't require massive computing).

Also I am not going to be launching it as a "coin" but instead as a "create your own blockchain for whatever purpose it suits" approach (aimed mostly at business).

Oh - and it will be open source (so I am not going to make money from the concept - only perhaps for consulting).

oldbute

Activity: 59

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:51:03 PM

Is it possible to update the bitcoind node to support both chains without duplicating the existing block data?   So once the first > 1MB block the fork happens but the node is aware of the second chain "possibility" already. As new blocks come in they are put on the correct chain based on size, prev hash, etc..   Or would you need to run 2 separate nodes if you want to use both?  Both on port 8333 but each rejecting the other's blocks and txs.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 05:53:10 PM

Without modification to the code you'd need different ports but my point is not that we want two "identical" blockchain systems as any major problem would presumably hit both of them (i.e. it would be better to have different blockchains that work on different consensus mechanisms).

Muuurrrrica!

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 06:06:29 PM

First time i hear someone talking sense in here for a very long time.

Respect goes to OP
Billbags

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:00:41 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 11:24:16 PM by Billbags

Without modification to the code you'd need different ports but my point is not that we want two "identical" blockchain systems as any major problem would presumably hit both of them (i.e. it would be better to have different blockchains that work on different consensus mechanisms).

My concerns with replacing POW and consensus mechanisms are with the following:

1) Trust concerning the security of money?
http://szabo.best.vwh.net/ttps.html

2) The crucial Byzantine-replicated chain-of-signed-transactions?
http://szabo.best.vwh.net/securetitle.html

Hal Finneys “RPOW” that is used to solve the Byzantine General’s Problem, a problem in ordinary computing that demonstrates through “game theory” how a group of potential co-operators can come to the best consensus even with the possibility of having malicious operators among them.
http://cryptome.org/rpow.htm
http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html

A proof-of-work that is a node in the Byzantine-resilient peer-to-peer system to lessen the threat of an untrustworthy party controlling the majority of nodes and thus corrupting a number of important security features.
http://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
http://cryptome.org/rpow.htm
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/courses/cs614/2004sp/papers/lsp82.pdf

Does your new paper contain the advance in technology and knowledge that is needed to produce a truely trusted solution that equals or surpasses the security of proof-of-work and Nakamoto Consensus?

Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 07:06:25 PM

Does your new paper contain the advance in technology and knowledge that is needed to produce a truely trusted solution that equals or surpasses the security of proof-of-work and Nakamoto Consensus?

That is a good question and I won't know I guess until we publish - but my point is not that I think my system will be *better* but that it will be an alternative (even if it turns out to be less secure).

So Bitcoin would retain its "gold value" by being the "most secure" if my proof ends up being viewed as less secure.

But even so it is better to have more than one type of blockchain just in case someone finds a horrible attack that "destroys" a blockchain (i.e. being "superior" to Bitcoin is not the point at all).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 07:12:52 PM

The main thing is that Bitcoin constantly promotes itself as "decentralised" yet wants to be the "one and only block chain" of the world.

If people can't see a slight problem with that then I sincerely wonder about their thinking.

Billbags

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:14:27 PM

That is a good question and I won't know I guess until we publish - but my point is not that I think my system will be *better* but that it will be an alternative (even if it turns out to be less secure).

So Bitcoin would retain its "gold value" by being the "most secure" if my proof ends up being viewed as less secure.

But even so it is better to have more than one type of blockchain just in case someone finds a horrible attack that "destroys" a blockchain (i.e. being "superior" to Bitcoin is not the point at all).

I definitely agree with some of the issues you are addressing.......I'll check out the white paper when released.

R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:23:58 PM

Sidechains can alleviate your space issue.

I don't get how this makes sense. People propose sidechains so that the main blockchain is not enormous. But... where are you proposing to store the sidechains? Because moving information from one place to another doesn't make it disappear.

Maybe you can say that sidechains don't need to be on the same servers as the main blockchain. But even then, to secure these sidechains you would need a similar amount of servers storing and validating these chains, and it's just the same. Not in the same space, but taking up space anyway.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 11:51:11 PM

Even Andreas himself is saying sidechains are sometimes overrated.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: