Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:39:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are contests considered gambling here?  (Read 1045 times)
sobitcoin (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:16:17 PM

Why did my contest get put into gambling.... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=946131.msg10367784  Is gambling and a contest the same thing now? I really don't think they are. If offering rewards through a website is now always gambling, I will remove my promotion and cease to give out free coins in the future through these forums, however I think it's different then gambling and was doing just fine in the general thread.  What about the young Bitcoincoiners?  Why should they miss the contest because it was subject to a gambling thread, when it is not gambling. It is a contests. Everyone can play contests.  

Just to clarify, because surely not all contests are gambling and I do not think this case fits the description.  Why such censorship of free Bitcoin, i don't get it.  I see "Crypto Ponzi" EVERYWHERE all day, yet my little CONTEST is a gambling... Give me a fucking break
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:29:53 PM

As I can see, it is not directly under Gambling, but has been put under Games and rounds, which is correct. All contests go under Games and rounds section.

sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:32:26 PM

As I can see, it is not directly under Gambling, but has been put under Games and rounds, which is correct. All contests go under Games and rounds section.

Well to be completely honest, a giveaway would fit under general better.  You see gambling really restricts the crowd to 18, 19, 21 + which this is definitely not, why would it be under a subcategory, of a category that doesn't describe what it is, it is a contest, not gambling.. If games and rounds is under gambling, this could probably get confusing for those who are under 18, or not lawfully of age to gamble... Now, this would restrict them from contests that applied to them, just got categorized wrong.  As tipping and giveaways are common in Bitcoin this should probably be changed, I will continue to post my threads in general as it applies to everyone and is not gambling. Thanks.  Roll Eyes
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 05:35:15 PM

Well to be completely honest, a giveaway would fit under general better.  You see gambling really restricts the crowd to 18, 19, 21 + which this is definitely not, why would it be under a subcategory, of a category that doesn't describe what it is, it is a contest, not gambling.. If games and rounds is under gambling, this could probably get confusing for those who are under 18, or not lawfully of age to gamble... Now, this would restrict them from contests that applied to them, just got categorized wrong.  As tipping and giveaways are common in Bitcoin this should probably be changed, I will continue to post my threads in general as it applies to everyone and is not gambling. Thanks.  Roll Eyes

Report your own thread and argue why it should be moved back, argue here, but dont spam.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:36:05 PM

Well to be completely honest, a giveaway would fit under general better.  You see gambling really restricts the crowd to 18, 19, 21 + which this is definitely not, why would it be under a subcategory, of a category that doesn't describe what it is, it is a contest, not gambling.. If gams and rounds is under gambling, this could probably get confusing for those who are under 18, or not lawfully of age to gamble... Now, this would restrict them from contests that applied to them, just got categorized wrong.  As tipping and giveaways are common in Bitcoin this should probably be changed, I will continue to post my threads in general as it applies to everyone and is not gambling. Thanks.  Roll Eyes

As I can see, you have already posted another thread in Bitcoin Discussion, though the previous was moved.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=946781.0

If you continue this to annoy Mods, you'll eventually get banned.

sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:36:20 PM

Report your own thread and argue why it should be moved back, argue here, but dont spam.

Who is spamming and why does everyone in here feel the need to take my statements out of context. This is a CONTEST, not gambling, and I am raising my concern not spamming.
sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:37:58 PM

Well to be completely honest, a giveaway would fit under general better.  You see gambling really restricts the crowd to 18, 19, 21 + which this is definitely not, why would it be under a subcategory, of a category that doesn't describe what it is, it is a contest, not gambling.. If gams and rounds is under gambling, this could probably get confusing for those who are under 18, or not lawfully of age to gamble... Now, this would restrict them from contests that applied to them, just got categorized wrong.  As tipping and giveaways are common in Bitcoin this should probably be changed, I will continue to post my threads in general as it applies to everyone and is not gambling. Thanks.  Roll Eyes

As I can see, you have already posted another thread in Bitcoin Discussion, though the previous was moved.

The new thread is exatcly that a new one where it belongs, this is not a contest for 18+, nor is it gambling. Is this actually what I have to do to give away free money?Huh I don't get it, like I am trying to be fun here and I get called a spammer and thrown in gambling... Why the hoops and hastle for people who is creating fun activities i dont get it, ponzis run rampant in here
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 05:51:23 PM

-snip-
Who is spamming

Creating two identical threads is considered spamming.

and why does everyone in here feel the need to take my statements out of context. This is a CONTEST, not gambling, and I am raising my concern not spamming.

I have no problem with you posting here to discuss the topic. I am not sure where a contest would belong, the general section might very well be correct. There was a big ARG that was in that section. Yet in the end this is not for me to decide. I merely tried to make you aware of the fact that creating a new identical topic in a different (or the same) section is considered spam and will be dealt with accordingly, that is will be deleted.

-snip-
The new thread is exatcly that a new one where it belongs, this is not a contest for 18+,

I wasnt aware that the gambling section had an age restriction and doubt if it has that anyone would take it seriously.

nor is it gambling. Is this actually what I have to do to give away free money?Huh

You lost me.

I don't get it, like I am trying to be fun here and I get called a spammer and thrown in gambling...

Maybe calm down a bit and be "fun" instead of exaggerating. Again, creating an identical topic is spam, thus I asked you not to spam, but instead discuss the topic here or address the staff directly via "report to moderator". It was not meant to offend you personally and if it did I apologize.

Why the hoops and hastle for people who is creating fun activities i dont get it, ponzis run rampant in here

Why the drama for people that try to keep this a sane place i dont get it, mods are humans too you know.

sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:59:01 PM

-snip-
Who is spamming

Creating two identical threads is considered spamming.

and why does everyone in here feel the need to take my statements out of context. This is a CONTEST, not gambling, and I am raising my concern not spamming.

I have no problem with you posting here to discuss the topic. I am not sure where a contest would belong, the general section might very well be correct. There was a big ARG that was in that section. Yet in the end this is not for me to decide. I merely tried to make you aware of the fact that creating a new identical topic in a different (or the same) section is considered spam and will be dealt with accordingly, that is will be deleted.

-snip-
The new thread is exatcly that a new one where it belongs, this is not a contest for 18+,

I wasnt aware that the gambling section had an age restriction and doubt if it has that anyone would take it seriously.

nor is it gambling. Is this actually what I have to do to give away free money?Huh

You lost me.

I don't get it, like I am trying to be fun here and I get called a spammer and thrown in gambling...

Maybe calm down a bit and be "fun" instead of exaggerating. Again, creating an identical topic is spam, thus I asked you not to spam, but instead discuss the topic here or address the staff directly via "report to moderator". It was not meant to offend you personally and if it did I apologize.

Why the hoops and hastle for people who is creating fun activities i dont get it, ponzis run rampant in here

Why the drama for people that try to keep this a sane place i dont get it, mods are humans too you know.

K so, you have deemed a giveaway is gambling? I will remove it from this site.  I don't want to promote gambling through enjoybitcoins.com  I strongly think it should be reconsidered as a giveawy thread in general.  I tried to discuss it, and I get no discussion, i get responses trying to prove me wrong, but realistically justifying that this is not gambling, yet saying it should stay there. Makes no sense. I am calm, a little dissapointed i have to argue, disagree and press to give away free bitcoins i can barely afford for a contest.   It's really discouraging when someone puts a promotion like this together and you throw it in the bin of gambling which it is not.  Have a great afternoon, once again, this place is full of pnzi schemes, people getting robbed, and I cannot simply post a free contest that appeals to everyone. Makes no sense, quit putting up barriers for absultely no reason, or make sure they are focused on something that matters.  "Mods are people to" So am i, giving away real money, for free.  And I wake up to being tossed in the gambling section for no reason. It doesn't make sense that every giveaway or contest is gambling now does it? Why are you trying to justify it when this is something that should be changed
sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 06:02:16 PM

Wow, call me crazy, but within a minute there is two entries... And you are telling me this doesn't appeal to the general thread, yet it applies more to gambling? I beg to differ.  You can clearly see this is not gambling, so quit trying to refer to it as gambling, it is not.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 06:38:22 PM

-snip-
K so, you have deemed a giveaway is gambling?

No, I have not. I actually said you might be correct with your assumption that the thread was moved incorrectly. Typically giveaways belong in the games and rounds section though. Certain types of giveaways are banned entirely. Additionally I remember you saying its a contest. If you indeed think its a giveaway it was moved to the correct section after all. The reason for the giveaway does not matter.

I will remove it from this site.  I don't want to promote gambling through enjoybitcoins.com  I strongly think it should be reconsidered as a giveawy thread in general. I tried to discuss it, and I get no discussion, i get responses trying to prove me wrong, but realistically justifying that this is not gambling, yet saying it should stay there. Makes no sense. I am calm, a little dissapointed i have to argue, disagree and press to give away free bitcoins i can barely afford for a contest.   It's really discouraging when someone puts a promotion like this together and you throw it in the bin of gambling which it is not. Have a great afternoon, once again, this place is full of pnzi schemes, people getting robbed, and I cannot simply post a free contest that appeals to everyone. Makes no sense, quit putting up barriers for absultely no reason, or make sure they are focused on something that matters.  "Mods are people to" So am i, giving away real money, for free.  And I wake up to being tossed in the gambling section for no reason. It doesn't make sense that every giveaway or contest is gambling now does it? Why are you trying to justify it when this is something that should be changed

I am trying to give you perspective. Your wording does not sound calm. Your thread was moved and again it might have been an mistake. The rules the mods apply are not set in stone.

-snip-
Wow, call me crazy, but within a minute there is two entries... And you are telling me this doesn't appeal to the general thread, yet it applies more to gambling? I beg to differ.  You can clearly see this is not gambling, so quit trying to refer to it as gambling, it is not.

I think newIndia was refering to the spam issue. Blatantly ignoring a mods decision just because you disagree with it is not helping your cause. In my experience it will rule out a discussion for them as you will only accept a single answer anyway.

sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 06:49:46 PM

-snip-
K so, you have deemed a giveaway is gambling?

No, I have not. I actually said you might be correct with your assumption that the thread was moved incorrectly. Typically giveaways belong in the games and rounds section though. Certain types of giveaways are banned entirely. Additionally I remember you saying its a contest. If you indeed think its a giveaway it was moved to the correct section after all. The reason for the giveaway does not matter.

I will remove it from this site.  I don't want to promote gambling through enjoybitcoins.com  I strongly think it should be reconsidered as a giveawy thread in general. I tried to discuss it, and I get no discussion, i get responses trying to prove me wrong, but realistically justifying that this is not gambling, yet saying it should stay there. Makes no sense. I am calm, a little dissapointed i have to argue, disagree and press to give away free bitcoins i can barely afford for a contest.   It's really discouraging when someone puts a promotion like this together and you throw it in the bin of gambling which it is not. Have a great afternoon, once again, this place is full of pnzi schemes, people getting robbed, and I cannot simply post a free contest that appeals to everyone. Makes no sense, quit putting up barriers for absultely no reason, or make sure they are focused on something that matters.  "Mods are people to" So am i, giving away real money, for free.  And I wake up to being tossed in the gambling section for no reason. It doesn't make sense that every giveaway or contest is gambling now does it? Why are you trying to justify it when this is something that should be changed

I am trying to give you perspective. Your wording does not sound calm. Your thread was moved and again it might have been an mistake. The rules the mods apply are not set in stone.

-snip-
Wow, call me crazy, but within a minute there is two entries... And you are telling me this doesn't appeal to the general thread, yet it applies more to gambling? I beg to differ.  You can clearly see this is not gambling, so quit trying to refer to it as gambling, it is not.

I think newIndia was refering to the spam issue. Blatantly ignoring a mods decision just because you disagree with it is not helping your cause. In my experience it will rule out a discussion for them as you will only accept a single answer anyway.

Fair enough.  I am not looking for one answer, more so seeking a rational explanation of why a giveaway / contest (it is a bit of both, everyone is open to get 500 bits, winners get more) is considered gambling when it is a contest a 10 year old could play.  This really limits its availability to everyone it applies to, and it really doesn't seem to be the correct spot, yet nobody will acknowledge this large difference between a giveaway/contest and gambling... two very different things....  

I apologize for coming off confrontational in response to attempting a giveaway that has been hidden in the depths of bitcointalk.  This is not the point of the giveaway, it is supposed to be fun and enjoyable for everyone.  I just seem to get flaq for running bitcoin promotions, while navigating through the copious amount of scams, scam artists addresses, clear cut ponzi schemes, that seem to go un touched.  It doesn't really make sense, and it kind of discourages people from wanting to give away coins in the future.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: