Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:03:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2.5 BTC stolen i wanna cry :-(  (Read 8177 times)
champbronc2

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:12:44 AM

Happens to the best of us man.. Everyone gets screwed at one point or another Sad

https://bitquick.co - Buy bitcoins instantly with cash at 2% fee or Sell Bitcoins at 0% fee with BitQuick.co. Encourage safer, more secure trading! Stop selling on LocalBitcoins.
Safe trading resource: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208203.0 Read it before you ever make a trade! Know what you're getting yourself into!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 01:31:38 AM

Gosh, that's terrible. You should always run the vanity generator offline and using trusted sites source code like bitaddress. Guess it's too late right now to do anything but at least take corrective actions and steps to prevent from happening again.

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:47:22 AM

Gosh, that's terrible. You should always run the vanity generator offline and using trusted sites source code like bitaddress. Guess it's too late right now to do anything but at least take corrective actions and steps to prevent from happening again.
OP has to learn the fact that every second your coins are outside your local wallet they are in danger. And even then, if your computer is online, there is still risk (paranoid mode).
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:32:35 AM

How did you pay you pay for the laptop,sir?

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:46:16 AM

Happens to the best of us man.. Everyone gets screwed at one point or another Sad

This is a big problem, like it has been said before, everytime you lose bitcoins potentially the person will not risk it again... with fiat usally theres SOMETHING that can be done, with btc if the robber is smart there is no damn way to get him.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:54:56 AM

Where did you create the vanity address? Did you have 2-factor set up? You don't need to throw out your comp but I wouldn't use it to store or send bitcoins unless you know its safe as you could have some keylogger malware.

Im throwing it away :-( i already have new one paid for i was about to go pick up before i seen this

reload the os on it and use it as an offline pc to sign offline transactions for your cold storage wallet.

add keypass vault...........    http://keepass.info/       ... to your offline pc as well too store all your online passwords (this well help you use more than one different passwords per website and stronger pws too) .

you can keep your keypass file on a flash drive as well so you can access it from any pc you install keepass on ..

back all this up onto another one or two flash drives you put into hard storage (you will have to update the keypass files every now and then as u add more pw's to it) .

if you use the same password on different websites you could be compromised this way too .
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:57:38 AM

So my point is, of course there have been viruses and malware that affect Linux, but as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware already states, most of them are not dangerous anymore (because they were only risky at the moment that a vulnerability was found and not yet patched), or only affected brave/ignorant users that went ahead and tried to install software in their Linux OS outside of the network of trusted repositories (which, is, BTW, hard to do, so it's not very likely that it happens).

Linux is no different than Windows and people should really stop thinking that there is something magical about it. You don't need to install software as root to infect your machine with malware. Obviously, if you do it the malware has full access to the machine but running a trojan with your own credentials is enough to steal your wallet data. Conversely, if you run with UAC you will have a secure prompt before being able to install software.

A.F.K

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 03:00:56 AM

I am sorry, OP. On the brightside, this is a relatively cheap lesson.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 03:16:30 AM

how was it? you should have secured it in a trezor...
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:42:09 AM

Trezor for storing BTC2.5?

Would you spend BTC1 for storing BTC2.5?

If you are having large quantities of BTC, then Trezor is a very good option. But for someone who is having just 2 or 3 coins, it won't be a good idea to spend half his coins to store them securely.
Bad Uncle

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 10:56:47 AM

Trezor for storing BTC2.5?

Would you spend BTC1 for storing BTC2.5?

If you are having large quantities of BTC, then Trezor is a very good option. But for someone who is having just 2 or 3 coins, it won't be a good idea to spend half his coins to store them securely.

There will be cheaper units available in the near future, though I'd just stick to keeping my coins offline and just keeping a small amount on my computer for swift access.
King Karma

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 11:18:27 AM

I don't think this is true. There are ways to protect yourself and it's not that difficult if you know what you're doing but you have to be very aware of what you're doing and the computers you're using.
Aura

Activity: 518
Merit: 268

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 11:23:23 AM

I'm sorry to hear that.
I hope you can get it back to your wallet  Wink
Twipple

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 11:31:19 AM

I'm sorry to hear that.
I hope you can get it back to your wallet  Wink

No one just gets their stolen coins back in their wallet.
They are stolen for a reason.
Streetview

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 11:32:58 AM

aii i am sorry to hear that. hope you will get your bitcoins back  Cool
knocte

Activity: 44

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:00:24 PM

Linux is no different than Windows

That, to begin with, is utterly wrong. The big difference between Linux and Windows is that it's open source. (Remember: bitcoin is opensource too, and if it wasn't, it wouldn't have been so successful.)

people should really stop thinking that there is something magical about it

I've never brought up magic in the conversation. I tried to explain why opensource software is more secure, in technical terms.

You don't need to install software as root to infect your machine with malware. Obviously, if you do it the malware has full access to the machine but running a trojan with your own credentials is enough to steal your wallet data.

I never brought up the subject about root vs non-root permissions (which BTW it is something that is better designed in Linux, compared to Windows), but about the way that users install software. Remember, you can only be infected by installing software (documents cannot infect viruses, except for rare occasions in which the document contains executable macros). And you have to analyze how people typically install software in Linux, versus how they do it in other operating systems.
Bitcoinexp

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:27:40 PM

That's pretty bad. If i were in your shoes and would like to use online wallets. I would split the coins into smaller amounts and keep them in several separate addresses. Also, would try not to move them that often. Of course, have a hard copy of the keys and such. Hope this is the only time.  Smiley
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:52:31 PM

The best is having a brain wallet so you dont have to worry about hosting files.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:15:51 PM

Remember, you can only be infected by installing software (documents cannot infect viruses, except for rare occasions in which the document contains executable macros). And you have to analyze how people typically install software in Linux, versus how they do it in other operating systems.
OK, I see where you come from. But you don't get infected just by installing software. Anyway, if you prefer Linux it's your choice. The latest major security vulnerabilities were not on Windows though.

knocte

Activity: 44

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 08:16:15 PM

OK, I see where you come from. But you don't get infected just by installing software.

Well, sorry for not being specific. You get infected by *running* infected software, be it installed or uninstalled. The thing is, in order to run software, you need first to *download* it.

So then, what you have to examine is the typical workflow of a user when he wants to download new software. In Linux, you normally do it from a "sandbox" of packages, which have been curated by the community. In Mac&Windows though, it is the job of the user to find the software on the web (or on the store, but this case we discard it because AFAIK nobody has sold infected software in a physical store), and this is where the majority of infections come from. If you deny this fact, this conversation ends right here.

The latest major security vulnerabilities were not on Windows though.

That is like saying that bitcoin is a failure because of the latest price drop.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: