Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:51:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Collecting BTC equivalent to collecting Real Coins of Historic Value?  (Read 3647 times)
unclemantis (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 02:46:11 AM

Thoughts? If so how would one catalog a particular coin, or is it even possible to do so since a new coin or collection of satoshis are generated upon spent.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kmsalex

Activity: 99

Learn as you go...

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 02:48:55 AM

If people did get into this... it maybe be classified as the nerdiest past time ever.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 02:51:33 AM

Casascius.com

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 03:21:23 AM

If people did get into this... it maybe be classified as the nerdiest past time ever.

I am the weirdo of the clan.

I am talking in DIGITAL form. Would we be collecting the private keys associated with a single group of payments?

Physical COINS don't count since they are still just a single transaction assigned to a brain wallet with a short private key code.

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 03:32:54 AM

Untainted coins a probably worth a little more.  Virgin coins fresh from mining are worth more.
unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 03:37:06 AM

Untainted coins a probably worth a little more.  Virgin coins fresh from mining are worth more.

In order to have a mint coin you need to have been a miner that solved the block.

Would all 50 coins need to be sold in order for them to stay in tact to the next owner? I am guessing 50 coins is worth a lot more than 49.99999999 coins?

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:30:28 AM

NO TAINT
http://www.blockchain.info/taint/1LqJ1YdxgkR5kRg2mjnqpdLCtAbXJue9BU

100% TAINT 1 Count
http://www.blockchain.info/taint/1G9VoEc1X8PqYARbY7Wb8LxTBKLhndhCCt

The higher the taint and less the count the more to MINT the BTC is?

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:39:51 AM

I followed an address to the next transaction to the next etc... all the way down to the last.

http://www.blockchain.info/taint/163NxLM5KvEDtL4E6p6KvpTmMCcdXYE72N

Looks like a pedigree and this BTC is a pure breed.

So I request the remaining balance or some of the remaining BTC from this guy http://www.blockchain.info/address/163NxLM5KvEDtL4E6p6KvpTmMCcdXYE72N

Then I will have a pure breed too.

And yes I am nuts Smiley

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:40:59 AM

http://www.blockchain.info/taint/1G9VoEc1X8PqYARbY7Wb8LxTBKLhndhCCt?reversed=true

Here is the reversed.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 05:27:44 AM

In order to have a mint coin you need to have been a miner that solved the block.

Would all 50 coins need to be sold in order for them to stay in tact to the next owner? I am guessing 50 coins is worth a lot more than 49.99999999 coins?

I long ago spent/sold/mixed my few 50-coin blocks unfortunately Sad

Apparently though - the Eligius pool pays out in a special transaction type so that you can get fractional 'virginal' coins.
I don't really understand how that works - but in the armory client at least, the eligius payouts show up with a 'pick' icon to indicate this.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 05:59:36 AM

I long ago spent/sold/mixed my few 50-coin blocks unfortunately Sad

Apparently though - the Eligius pool pays out in a special transaction type so that you can get fractional 'virginal' coins.
I don't really understand how that works - but in the armory client at least, the eligius payouts show up with a 'pick' icon to indicate this.

Interesting.

I bet when the network reaches capacity any virgin coins unspent will be worth more and more value to a collector.

I am thinking decades ahead. I know Smiley

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:09:10 AM

There's nothing special about it: a coinbase transaction can have an arbitrary number of outputs, just like any other transaction, as long as the sum of all outputs is less than or equal to 50BTC + transaction fees. There is no requirement for the entire block reward to go to exactly one address.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:50:07 AM

I bet when the network reaches capacity any virgin coins unspent will be worth more and more value to a collector.

Not really, because they cannot be transferred and remain valuable.  If you simply hand over the private key the collector might not trust that you won't spend the coins.  If you make a transfer, that changes the coin from uncirculated to almost uncirculated, night and day difference.  :-)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 08:03:42 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 08:18:05 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Not really, because they cannot be transferred and remain valuable.  If you simply hand over the private key the collector might not trust that you won't spend the coins.  If you make a transfer, that changes the coin from uncirculated to almost uncirculated, night and day difference.  :-)

Unless the classification of UC0 --> UC1 retains its collector value. Same would be true for UC1 --> UC2 --> UC3 --> UC4 iff said collector coins have not been used for any other purpose(s)--only collector to collector.

Also mint coins: M0 --> M1

Then you have the taint coins: T(MBC)0 --> T(MBC)1

The greatest taint set one could own now would be the BHT (Bicoinica Hat Trick): T(B1)1, T(B2)1 and T(B3)1

T(MG)1 would be a nice coin to own.

Rating the purity of tainted coins may look like this: T(87)1 or T(92)2

~Bruno~

EDIT: The only problem I see is when the book comes out, there won't be many pictures in it. Just plain looking charts and price guides.

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:07:38 AM

the first coin ever minted and the last coin ever minted would have some sentimental value for many

especially if it was never used etc
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:20:01 AM

the first coin ever minted and the last coin ever minted would have some sentimental value for many

the coins from the genesis block were destroyed
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:24:49 AM

the coins from the genesis block were destroyed

They are unspendable by the current client.  Presuming Satoshi still has the private key, this could be fixed along with other changes in a hard fork change

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:44:06 AM

Not really, because they cannot be transferred and remain valuable.  If you simply hand over the private key the collector might not trust that you won't spend the coins.  If you make a transfer, that changes the coin from uncirculated to almost uncirculated, night and day difference.  :-)

Unless the classification of UC0 --> UC1 retains its collector value. Same would be true for UC1 --> UC2 --> UC3 --> UC4 iff said collector coins have not been used for any other purpose(s)--only collector to collector.

Also mint coins: M0 --> M1

Then you have the taint coins: T(MBC)0 --> T(MBC)1

The greatest taint set one could own now would be the BHT (Bicoinica Hat Trick): T(B1)1, T(B2)1 and T(B3)1

T(MG)1 would be a nice coin to own.

Rating the purity of tainted coins may look like this: T(87)1 or T(92)2

~Bruno~

EDIT: The only problem I see is when the book comes out, there won't be many pictures in it. Just plain looking charts and price guides.

I sent you a PM. This could get interesting.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 08:50:35 AM

I sent you a PM. This could get interesting.

Going to read it in a sec.

The only problem I see is when the book comes out, there won't be many pictures in it. Just plain looking charts and price guides.

But we can snazzy up the cover.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 09:21:24 AM

Brainstormin':

Coins from notables could be worth more than face value too. Or, better yet, notables can sell coins for a premium as collector items, with the overage going to charity. The notable won't even have to have the coins in his/her possession. They'll just act as the liaison. For an example, a fan of Justin Bieber buys a bitcoin at twice the current going rate, with 50% of the sale going to Cure Duchenn. The fan then would have bragging rights and helped a cause. He couldn't do that with a ten dollar bill. It wouldn't be practical. But with Bitcoin, it's possible.

And every coin could be signed. (To Becky Spalain, from Justin Bieber. blah, blah, blah)

On a quick side note (maybe not), this is an interesting site I just found--celebrities + charities: http://www.looktothestars.org/charity

~Bruno~
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: