Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:46:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Francis: parents can smack their children for bad behaviour  (Read 1780 times)
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 04:15:55 PM

This idiot keeps saying dumber shit everytime.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 04:24:14 PM

I agree with Pope.

Fuck you and fuck the pope.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 05:18:46 PM

I agree with Pope.

I'm not a parent myself; I'm a boy 17 but I do believe in mild smacking it may be helpful in good breeding.
Marianne Skanland

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 08:17:35 PM

The physical consequences of physical punishment vary, but especially hitting or smacking anywhere around the head may lead to serious injuries, loss of hearing, dislodged neck, death. For one thing, adults often do not have good judgment of the strength they apply.

The emotional consequences also seem to vary a lot, on an individual basis as well as depending on the cultural climate surrounding the child. Certainly nobody other than the child's own parents should be permitted to use physical discipline. There is a lot of horrible evidence from boarding schools etc.

This question of physical discipline in bringing up children was central in a court case in Sweden, against Malaysian parents (physical punishment of children is a criminal offence in Sweden (as also here in Norway)). The couple were found guilty and were given fairly hard prison sentences. Through their detainment, the court case and subsequently there was a lot of writing about it in Malaysia, people arguing for and against physical punishment of children.  

Personally I do not think spanking or hitting children is a good thing at all, the drawbacks are unforseeable and too serious. But one particular internet posting in that debate, from one Roslina Abu Bakar, made me smile; you can view it here! :

http://forum.r-b-v.net/viewtopic.php?p=34346#p34346

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 08:25:58 AM

I agree with Pope.

I'm not a parent myself; I'm a boy 17 but I do believe in mild smacking it may be helpful in good breeding.

You mean obedience don't you? I believe one of the reasons religious morons defend the hitting of children so much is because they hate having their ideas questioned and since their is no way to legitimate prove their ideas are true ( Though science is bit by bit proving everything in the bible is bullshit ) they therefore resort to hitting them whenever they try it. Oh and that whole respect argument is a load of bullshit, respect has to be a two way deal, what they're talking about is obedience, these people are 'obeying' their elders because they're afraid they'll get hit, that's all there is to it.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 08:42:13 AM

I agree with Pope.

You mean obedience don't you? I believe one of the reasons religious morons defend the hitting of children so much is because they hate having their ideas questioned and since their is no way to legitimate prove their ideas are true ( Though science is bit by bit proving everything in the bible is bullshit ) they therefore resort to hitting them whenever they try it. Oh and that whole respect argument is a load of bullshit, respect has to be a two way deal, what they're talking about is obedience, these people are 'obeying' their elders because they're afraid they'll get hit, that's all there is to it.
I never witnessed any children questioning about their religious ideas or smacked for this.This mild smacking is for children being disrespectful to elders and teaching them manners.

•••
My parents spanked me as a child

As a result I now suffer from a psychological condition known as
"Respect for Others"
•••
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 09:13:25 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2015, 09:45:04 AM by Lethn

Considering the shit that our elders have put us through including fucking up the planet, world war 1 and 2, global warming, the idea of religion itself, the fact that they've indebted us to pay for their shit so they can have an easy life and are making it much more difficult for us to earn as a result. I don't see why we 'have' to be respectful towards them in the slightest, but then again, I didn't have it beaten into me as a child that I had to put up with peoples shit just because they're bigger than me when I was little which is all this amounts to in the end.

You guys are like hostages that have been beaten up by terrorists and suddenly start to like them for it for no fucking reason other than "They beat me up so now I respect them" you've had your so called 'respect' and manners beaten into you, these people aren't respectful, they're thugs.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 10:48:31 AM

Considering the shit that our elders have put us through including fucking up the planet, world war 1 and 2, global warming, the idea of religion itself, the fact that they've indebted us to pay for their shit so they can have an easy life and are making it much more difficult for us to earn as a result. I don't see why we 'have' to be respectful towards them in the slightest, but then again, I didn't have it beaten into me as a child that I had to put up with peoples shit just because they're bigger than me when I was little which is all this amounts to in the end.

You guys are like hostages that have been beaten up by terrorists and suddenly start to like them for it for no fucking reason other than "They beat me up so now I respect them" you've had your so called 'respect' and manners beaten into you, these people aren't respectful, they're thugs.
Technological advancement doesn't mean that you should let go of humane values and become a practical animal.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 10:58:50 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2015, 11:12:42 AM by Lethn

What the fuck does that even mean? Also, your 'value' system seems to revolve around pure obedience, it doesn't seem to matter if you kill people or hurt them just as long as there's someone above in the hierarchy telling you what to do, to me that sounds an awful lot more like animal behaviour than anything children who don't get hit come up with and very much a pack mentality, in this case the alpha male/female is your parents. As I said, I'll settle just for children not killing, stealing or hurting other people, and religious people are such shining examples of all those three things aren't they? Even the fucking commandments are completely against that yet you have people blatantly committing to it as if it's not a big deal.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 11:44:31 AM

What the fuck does that even mean? Also, your 'value' system seems to revolve around pure obedience, it doesn't seem to matter if you kill people or hurt them just as long as there's someone above in the hierarchy telling you what to do, to me that sounds an awful lot more like animal behaviour than anything children who don't get hit come up with and very much a pack mentality, in this case the alpha male/female is your parents. As I said, I'll settle just for children not killing, stealing or hurting other people, and religious people are such shining examples of all those three things aren't they? Even the fucking commandments are completely against that yet you have people blatantly committing to it as if it's not a big deal.
GTFO religiophobe. If respect and obedience means killing and stealing to you then its your own fault.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 12:10:26 PM

ROFL! Yes, of course I'm against the brainwashing and subjugation of an entire species in the name of an invisible god aren't you? Oh wait, of course not, especially considering the level of response you just gave then. Respect is a two way thing, if you think that being beaten up and doing what that person tells you is respect then you have a very broken view of the world. What you're proposing isn't respect as I said, it is just obedience, you don't seem to know what respect actually is which can be clearly seen from the upbringing you've described, oh and if this isn't evidence of psychological damage from being hit as a child I don't know what is.

I think respect can be a very positive thing, but it isn't something that can be enforced, it has to be earned and you do that through reasoning and logic not threats of violence.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 12:55:47 PM

ROFL! Yes, of course I'm against the brainwashing and subjugation of an entire species in the name of an invisible god aren't you? Oh wait, of course not, especially considering the level of response you just gave then. Respect is a two way thing, if you think that being beaten up and doing what that person tells you is respect then you have a very broken view of the world. What you're proposing isn't respect as I said, it is just obedience, you don't seem to know what respect actually is which can be clearly seen from the upbringing you've described, oh and if this isn't evidence of psychological damage from being hit as a child I don't know what is.

I think respect can be a very positive thing, but it isn't something that can be enforced, it has to be earned and you do that through reasoning and logic not threats of violence.
Just refer back to your response #1 to me.I had to get to your level.
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 12:57:33 PM

I think that some of our problems in schools are due to school personnel not being allowed to use corporal punishment anymore.

These kids know that it’s against the law for anyone to physically touch them. Which probably leads these kids to think that they can get away with more and more, without consequences.

It’s getting to the point where we won’t be able to physically discipline our own kids.
michaeladair

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

I'm a Web Developer: HTML, CSS, PHP, JS.

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:00:07 PM

You can't just say that there are some kids that don't need a good slap.

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 01:00:17 PM

Just refer back to your response #1 to me.I had to get to your level.

LOL! Ah, circular logic, the last refuge of the pious.

You can't just say that there are some kids that don't need a good slap.  

As I've said to other people, I've met plenty of kids who don't get hit that are totally nice, clearly there's more going on than people who are pro-hitting care to admit, people who talk about discipline are full of shit.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:11:06 PM

Nobody said that you have to hit to teach manners.You can if you really have to and it should be mild and not damaging.
You have to accept the fact that not everyone is ultra-evolved liberal creature like yourself.There are traditionalist and conservatives as well.Also it is accepted practice in many societies.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 02:20:26 PM

Ohhh man I love that rage, by the way I'm actually an Anarchist so Tongue by the way, just because humanity has repeated something for several thousand years doesn't make it a good thing.
Stargazer

Activity: 641
Merit: 253

▰▰▰ Global Cryptocurrency Paymen

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:28:51 PM

I think that some of our problems in schools are due to school personnel not being allowed to use corporal punishment anymore.

These kids know that it’s against the law for anyone to physically touch them. Which probably leads these kids to think that they can get away with more and more, without consequences.

It’s getting to the point where we won’t be able to physically discipline our own kids.

Good point. I remember when I was a kid teachers had the right to for example remove you from the classroom and take you to the detention by force. Later on they were not allowed to touch a kid if he's resisting, which just caused more problems.

ahmedjadoon
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:40:31 PM

Ohhh man I love that rage, by the way I'm actually an Anarchist so Tongue by the way, just because humanity has repeated something for several thousand years doesn't make it a good thing.
Good luck spreading anarchy.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:44:59 PM

Good point. I remember when I was a kid teachers had the right to for example remove you from the classroom and take you to the detention by force. Later on they were not allowed to touch a kid if he's resisting, which just caused more problems.

I remember being kicked out of the room because I talked with my mates interrupting the teacher. Nowadays its probably hell being a teacher, kids have laptops and are playing games all the time lol.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: