Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:52:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best hardware to mine all types of cryptocoins? Antminer S3+ 453 GH/s  (Read 2223 times)
menagear (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 04:42:09 AM

If I were to buy a Antminer S3+ 453 GH/s, will I be able to mine all types of coins? (bitcoin obviously, litecoin, dogecoin etc?)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 04:58:27 AM

If I were to buy a Antminer S3+ 453 GH/s, will I be able to mine all types of coins? (bitcoin obviously, litecoin, dogecoin etc?)

LOL
hdmediaservices

Activity: 630
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 09:00:32 AM

LOL

Be nice - LOL. 

No - the Antminer will only mine SHA-256 coins (like Bitcoin).  Litecoin is a Scrypt coin - requiring a different type of ASIC.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:14:35 PM

no, you need a gpu for that, and also s3 is obsolete, s5 is far better, work with 22nm or lower
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:19:35 PM

S3 - Only if you are getting at cheap price and power is either free/ dirt cheap.
S5 - Latest sha256 Asic but you can only mine sha256 coins like Bitcoin and it won't work with LTC, DOGE etc.
For LTC , DOGE and other Scrypt coins , you need Scrypt-Asic.
SDRebel

Activity: 569
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:55:53 AM

no, you need a gpu for that, and also s3 is obsolete, s5 is far better, work with 22nm or lower
What? You really said a GPU?
SDRebel

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:57:10 AM

S3 - Only if you are getting at cheap price and power is either free/ dirt cheap.
S5 - Latest sha256 Asic but you can only mine sha256 coins like Bitcoin and it won't work with LTC, DOGE etc.

The s3+ may also be a good option for those staring with bitcoin, it doesnt require too much investment
monkeygang

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:01:13 AM

I thought it was basically useless to mine btc for begginners. Because of difficulty etc. wouldnt it be easier to straight up buy bitcoins.
and less on electricity costs or something?

monkeygang.. you cant join. your already a member
SDRebel

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:18:56 AM

I thought it was basically useless to mine btc for begginners. Because of difficulty etc. wouldnt it be easier to straight up buy bitcoins.
Not really useless, plus people like to mess with things. If you just buy bitcoins there's not much fun on that
An antminer s3+ for 100-110 shipped might recover the initial investment
monkeygang

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:21:22 AM

Not really useless, plus people like to mess with things. If you just buy bitcoins there's not much fun on that

what do you mean by "might" like it would become obsolete before it paid for itself..
or depending on the coin you mine with it?

monkeygang.. you cant join. your already a member
SDRebel

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:08:35 AM

what do you mean by "might" like it would become obsolete before it paid for itself..
or depending on the coin you mine with it?
Both things Smiley Sad
It also depends a lot on your electricity costs
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:21:22 AM

The s3+ may also be a good option for those staring with bitcoin, it doesnt require too much investment

That's what I said...But if power is not cheap then ROI won't be possible either.
SDRebel

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:06:22 PM

That's what I said...But if power is not cheap then ROI won't be possible either.
Right, but if someone wants to try out mining without spending too much money and not to concerned if they recover their investment, then a s3+ is a nice toy Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: