Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:02:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin took over....  (Read 1478 times)
General_A (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 07:50:02 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2015, 08:11:28 PM by General_A

... what good do you think it would do humanity?

Critical thinking time - put your thinking caps on.

Anyone and everyone is free to answer as they see fit, but I am really interested in points that:

a) Give reasons why it will. It will be good for humans because.....
&
b) Have solid reasoning, saying it will get rid of the bankers is not solid reasoning. I would class a better answer as Bitcoin will remove banks which will have this effect and that, which in turn would benefit humanity because of x and y.

I am going to try my hardest not to disagree with anyone on this thread, but I may ask you to justify further. Your choice if you do or not.

Why? I am interested....

QUICK NOTE: Busy for a while, will reply when can Smiley

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 07:55:53 PM

If bitcoin took over, there wouldn't be no banks.
Just joking. if bitcoin took over, there would be no pressure from the banks to use their services and in turn, make the average man free from the chains of the banks. Sorry for the ideas in here. It's 4:00 in the morning. Hope after I wake up, I'll see a healthy discussion going on in here. Smiley

Wait, I'll ask you the same question: If bitcoin took over..
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 08:04:41 PM

-- Bitcoin allows someone to control their own finances and be their own bank , thus empowering humanity.

-- Bitcoin using multisig allows one to perform neat functions like escrow and arbitration without counter-party risk

--Bitcoin allows non-humans to control currency thus allowing us more efficient ways of transacting without unnecessary intermediaries.

-- Remove the ability for banks or governments to steal wealth from inflation, bailouts, bail-ins, ect..(with bitcoin)

-- Bitcoin being a programmable currency allows one to perform neat functions like ntimelock, ricardian contracts on the blockchain, more resilient notary services, smart contracts interacting with oracles, ect...

-- Bitcoin protocol allows for decentralized applications like crowdfunding with lighthouse, decentralized marketplaces like open bazaar , decentralized cms /blogs with twister, ect..

All of the items above empower the individual with better tools which are more censorship resistant and allow users the freedom to make ethical and moral decisions with their wealth rather than third parties making these decisions for them.

Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 08:09:05 PM

Anyone and everyone is free to answer as they see fit, but I am really interested in points that:

&
b) Have solid reasoning, saying it will get rid of the bankers is not solid reasoning. I would class a better answer as Bitcoin will remove banks which will have this effect and that, which in turn would benefit humanity because of x and y.

I am going to try my hardest not to disagree with anyone on this thread, but I may ask you to justify further. Your choice if you do or not.

Why? I am interested....

Well ... If Bitcoin took over then we are simply and officially free people . Annonymus and we have always our privacy , we control our money and we don't blame anyone else if something bad happens to our money .
I personally won't speak about Banks like some people did/will because of the Interesst and giving back more then 100% etc ... I'am Muslim in Muslim country with Islam bank so we don't have that Interessts bullshits etc ... Grin still I don't use banks

~ Madness

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 08:10:53 PM

Bitcoin will not take over (meaning it will replace fiat currency). At best, it will grow to the solid alternative payment system (or commodity, if you prefer).

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:01:21 AM

Not much would change, wealth distribution would still be uneven as hell, but at least the basics of the game wouldnt be rigged (bernakle printing money etc)
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:10:54 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2015, 02:27:53 AM by Remember remember the 5th of November

Critical thinking time - put your thinking caps on. Anyone and everyone is free to answer as they see fit, but I am really interested in points that:

Why? I am interested....
Do you want to know the biggest one? It's more sanitary. Since it it's not physically there you cannot sneeze on it and give it to somebody, moreover it would allow a clerk to basically not handle the money and then handle the food which is currently the worldwide practice, which is unsanitary.

I have handled such seriously dirty fiat, where the paper has darkened so much, to the point where I am disgusted just by looking at it.

How about another one, you always pay the exact amount, no physical coins to dangle in your pocket. The register would display the exact amount you have to pay, you scan with whatever device the future has and you immediately pay the EXACT amount. Sure you could do this with a credit card, but by the time you take it out from your wallet, input it into the machine, type your pin and wait 60 seconds(I assure that is how long it takes for a VISA transaction to get processed over here, increasing the time to wait by all customers).

Consider this probably rather rare scenario, where kids are MORE LIKELY to choke on coins that are real VS those that are digital.

There, Bitcoin prevented possible deaths twice, once from disease, twice from a child choking to death or worse, having to have surgery to remove a coin stuck somewhere in his body. Any surgery no matter how routine can be fatal. Or how about people with HIV and no immune system?

Another thing I can think off, is that, when decentralized exchanges appear, they can prove 100% that they hold X amount of bitcoin, and they could be designed in such a way as to not work as a fractional-reserve bank.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 03:02:04 AM

Bitcoin will not take over (meaning it will replace fiat currency). At best, it will grow to the solid alternative payment system (or commodity, if you prefer).
I think bitcoin and fiat will co-exist, but bitcoin will engulf all the credit card payments.
A.F.K

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 03:26:51 AM

We don't need Bitcoin to take over. This is a meaningless thought experiment. What if Bitcoin takes over, and humanity is as depraved as ever? Nothing. Bitcoin is used towards depravity.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 04:46:15 AM

We are in complete control of our money, well put it the other way round, basically I no longer need banks and especially can avoid the fees they charge. And when I say complete control, that is also justified by the ability to transfer anywhere in the world. And the account doesn't get freezed for any dumb reason

cheekychap

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:35:15 AM

its already doing good. Its really cool, how you can send money for a fraction of the cost. We need more good like that.

numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:45:00 AM

Why only "good things" ?

Maybe we should take a closer look at both sides of the coin. Perhaps then it appeares more out open that Bitcoin only competes with other currencies like Maple Leaf, Krugerrand, Dollar, Euro, Renminbi...
You should realise that Bitcoin will never "take over" can only archive beeing established inside a distinctive market niche. For a limited purpose. That could be either worldwide transfer of funds across barriers (political, economical, ideological) or storage of value (which is mood regarding the last year's notations)

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 03:40:47 PM

&

Why? I am interested....

Well ... If Bitcoin took over then we are simply and officially free people . Annonymus and we have always our privacy , we control our money and we don't blame anyone else if something bad happens to our money .
I personally won't speak about Banks like some people did/will because of the Interesst and giving back more then 100% etc ... I'am Muslim in Muslim country with Islam bank so we don't have that Interessts bullshits etc ... Grin still I don't use banks

~ Madness

If most of the people that use bitcoin nowadays holds their btc, then why would you think that we will be "free"? If they got most of the btc on their hands, they can control us by indirect or direct means--and that will happen if bitcoins took over.
CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:14:55 PM

You are not factoring the possibility governments and perhaps banks go bust, leading to most corporations going belly up… IE USD collapses
mitus-2

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:27:07 PM

If bitcoin took over no more intolerable fees
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:52:29 PM

&

Why? I am interested....

QUICK NOTE: Busy for a while, will reply when can Smiley

We would have a more honest banking and it would be less easy to do wars.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 09:24:48 PM

Bitcoin will not take over and if it does then many will be happy including myself. It is a currency similar to the recognized currencies and 1B is worth more than any other currency in the market.

Muuurrrrica!

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:31:18 PM

Bitcoin 'taking over' would be a freakin' nightmare.

Cryptocurrencies are a different story. Bitcoin alone is a nightmare.

We need diversity to avoid fascism.
Nerazzura

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 02:00:10 PM

Bitcoin 'taking over' would be a freakin' nightmare.

Cryptocurrencies are a different story. Bitcoin alone is a nightmare.

We need diversity to avoid fascism.
rather, diversity for balance,
indirectly it will benefit also for bitcoin to remain stable
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 02:05:26 PM

If Bitcoin took over.... It won't, not even if. It will be just one of the optional ways of paying that we already have.

Simple as that.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: