Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:24:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Terraminer - is it worth it to use anymore?  (Read 1704 times)
HackMaster (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 12:58:39 AM

I, without discussing the whys, ended up with the opportunity to acquire about 24 Cointerra Terraminer IV units. They are currently stacked up and are off. I don't know if they even power on yet or what state they are in, other than they are sitting there and look in decent physical shape.

I am trying to decide if I want to even bother digging into them further.

With Cointerra going off the grid, I know getting support for them would be impossible and, with the difficulty of Bitcoin continuing to skyrocket, I am not even sure if it would warrant spending any time on it.
Though some calculations say that I would make $130/.5 BTC every month per unit, which puts this well within the range of profit for me.

It looks like I would get the hardware and electricity for free (long story), so everything on top of that would be profit for myself and to pay back the guy I am getting them from.

What are your suggestions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:08:07 AM

If you got free power and the equipment is free, turn them on and use that TH to turn your free electricity into BTC.  I would not spend any money or a huge amount of time fixing them.  Keep in mind that is 50KW of power and a butt load of heat to get rid of, almost all homes can not handle that as it is more then the 200A@240V that most houses get from the grid.  If you situation is different go for it.

If you don't and your in Texas sell them to me  Grin

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:09:03 AM

Your post makes no logic. You get the hardware for free or not? If you don't pay for power then it means that everything you produce is profit right? Then why not start them up?

TheAnalogKid

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 01:50:40 AM

If your electricity isn't free, or even under $.03/Kw, it will most likely be a losing proposition.

However, if you're getting the electricity for free, then by all means power them up, it's stupid not to.  If they're in good condition you're looking at upwards of 35TH for all 24 units, which will net you on average about .4 BTC / daily (luck notwithstanding) at today's difficulty.

Some units run rock solid and will be fine.  Others may (will) slowly die off as they overheat and succumb to the typical problems seen on those units.

Either way, might as well run them into the ground and get something for it.
cryptopaddles

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:16:08 AM

If your electricity isn't free, or even under $.03/Kw, it will most likely be a losing proposition.

However, if you're getting the electricity for free, then by all means power them up, it's stupid not to.  If they're in good condition you're looking at upwards of 35TH for all 24 units, which will net you on average about .4 BTC / daily (luck notwithstanding) at today's difficulty.

Some units run rock solid and will be fine.  Others may (will) slowly die off as they overheat and succumb to the typical problems seen on those units.

Either way, might as well run them into the ground and get something for it.
+1
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 07:12:17 AM

I might be willing to buy several if the price is right.  PM me.
jermwerty

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 12:34:10 AM

Heat will be your "main" killer.

For example with a 2-car garage with 12' ceilings, I run ~8KW of miners and it was 70 degrees with the garage door cracked when it was 35 degrees outside!

I ran about 7KW of S1s last summer, and the garage was 115-120 degrees when temps outside hit 95F or above.  I kept the garage door cracked 1' plus had "box fan" for exhaust in the ceiling, was just enough air movement to keep things happy.  Really never had an issue with the S1s and heat because they are built like tanks and have plenty of fan headroom, but other miners would die quick with such temps!

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 01:51:41 PM

If your "electricity" is free, by all means run those rigs!  Even at it's most inefficient settings and performance, 24 CT would equal 24 TH/s minimum (provided they all work).

That said, make sure you have enough electrical capacity first, then as others noted, make sure you have the cooling or heat extraction capabilities to exhaust the heat coming from those CT units.

It'll get hot in thurr!

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████