Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:12:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: you can BUY BITCOINS FOR CASH - EASY TO DO - SOLID REP  (Read 2635 times)
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 06:42:57 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2012, 07:33:47 AM by TECSHARE

I am selling Bitcoins for cash in the mail priced at the MTGOX high. The rate is to be set upon the date of receipt of the cash (the moment I return from the post office). I will be receiving all shipments in USD, within the United States by USPS ONLY. Services such as priority mail or tracking are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. I make no assurances that I will reimburse you for lost or stolen mail, I can only assure you that once it reaches me you will be paid in full, as my past trading history indicates.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE SOME KIND OF TRACKING! While problems are rare they do happen. Also don't forget to PM me with your payment address, and include a note with the cash so I know who to direct payment to. Please PM me questions or to set up a trade.

NOTE: To protect the privacy of all involved PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING HERE. PM Me any questions or comments.
          I like my privacy as well, and if I lose it this service disappears with it.

Some of my reputation:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=12119.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58518.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=484.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 11:57:23 PM

I am selling Bitcoins for cash in the mail priced at the MTGOX high. The rate is to be set upon the date of receipt of the cash (the moment I return from the post office). I will be receiving all shipments within the United States. Services such as priority mail or tracking are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. I make no assurances that I will reimburse you for lost or stolen mail, I can only assure you that once it reaches me you will be paid in full, as my past trading history indicates.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE SOME KIND OF TRACKING! While problems are rare they do happen. Also don't forget to PM me with your payment address, and include a note with the cash so I know who to direct payment to. Please PM me for current inventory and to set up a trade.

NOTE: To protect the privacy of all involved PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING HERE. PM Me any questions or comments.
          I like my privacy as well, and if I lose it this service disappears as well.

Some of my reputation:

Date of RECEIPT? That seems like some bullshit to me. It could go either way. Why not lock in a price?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 01:50:21 AM

I am selling Bitcoins for cash in the mail priced at the MTGOX high. The rate is to be set upon the date of receipt of the cash (the moment I return from the post office). I will be receiving all shipments within the United States. Services such as priority mail or tracking are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. I make no assurances that I will reimburse you for lost or stolen mail, I can only assure you that once it reaches me you will be paid in full, as my past trading history indicates.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE SOME KIND OF TRACKING! While problems are rare they do happen. Also don't forget to PM me with your payment address, and include a note with the cash so I know who to direct payment to. Please PM me for current inventory and to set up a trade.

I like my privacy as well, and if I lose it this service disappears as well.

Some of my reputation:

Date of RECEIPT? That seems like some bullshit to me. It could go either way. Why not lock in a price?
Because people will say they sent it, and gain a free option.  If the price goes up, they send the money locked in at the lower price.  If the price drops, they do not send as they have a negative incentive. 

To lock in a price maybe they could send a bitcoin deposit but since they are looking to BUY bitcoin that is really not a good solution. 

TehZomB

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 05:23:56 AM

Proposed solution:
The letter/envelope must be postmarked on the day (or day after?) the price is locked in.
At least in the US, everything is postmarked with a date by the original sorting facility.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 05:50:36 AM

It is to prevent exactly what littleshop stated. They can simply wait to mail it to take advantage of dips, or if it doesn't work in their favor simply not ship at all. This way neither one of us knows exactly what the market will do, and with tracking the most I could possibly hold the payment for is one day because the date of receipt is part of USPS tracking, and since the MTGOX highs are set on a  24 hour basis, holding it would be kind of pointless as well as extremely obvious. I have given the users here absolutely no reason to suspect I am up to anything shady. Please review my trade history and feel free to point out anything factual you feel might contradict this.
Ari

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 08:53:11 PM

Proposed solution:
The letter/envelope must be postmarked on the day (or day after?) the price is locked in.
At least in the US, everything is postmarked with a date by the original sorting facility.

Canadianbitcoins.com will lock the price for 36 hours if you're mailing cash.  You'd have to send it overnight to take advantage of this though.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 12:14:09 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2012, 12:59:41 AM by TECSHARE

stop hijacking my thread dildo - if you like it so much make your own thread
J.Socal

Activity: 495
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 01:41:38 AM

I can lock in@ $10 a coin...Got 120..HMU..Today .. I'll pay for express shipping..
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 01:52:20 AM

Definitely not doing date of receipt. That gives you the option of waiting a few days.

I've purchased BTC with cash-in-mail several times on #bitcoin-otc, and it's always MtGox Last @ transaction agreement time.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 01:56:41 AM

Here are a couple ideas I think would work well if selling bitcoins like this.

1.  Suggest Registered Mail.  Registered Mail is a service that is meant for sending cash and is actually insured for the full cash value.  For domestic shipments you don't have to declare the contents, only the value.  The USPS will make damned sure they don't lose it - lock boxes at every step and signatures every time it switches hands until delivered.  They also impose stringent requirements on the packaging to ensure that it can't even be tampered along the way without evidence.  (typically that means using paper tape, all surfaces must absorb ink, and handwriting the address, and they will rubberstamp all the seams while you watch with the originating PO's cancellation stamp)

2.  Give people a locked in price, but require that they present evidence of mailing within a short time frame like 30 minutes or a couple hours.  Any time someone sends Registered or Express mail, the Post Office will give a paper receipt acknowledging the time it entered the system.  Since the objective is to prevent customers from "hedging" at your expense, your risk is covered by ensuring they mailed their payment.  If they mail the payment late or can't provide proof of timely mailing, you stipulate that when it arrives, you get to decide whether you honor the locked in rate.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
kiwiasian

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 02:15:23 AM

So...you're selling BTC. Not buying.

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 04:43:54 AM

1.  Suggest Registered Mail.  Registered Mail is a service that is meant for sending cash and is actually insured for the full cash value.  For domestic shipments you don't have to declare the contents, only the value.  The USPS will make damned sure they don't lose it - lock boxes at every step and signatures every time it switches hands until delivered.  They also impose stringent requirements on the packaging to ensure that it can't even be tampered along the way without evidence.  (typically that means using paper tape, all surfaces must absorb ink, and handwriting the address, and they will rubberstamp all the seams while you watch with the originating PO's cancellation stamp)

2.  Give people a locked in price, but require that they present evidence of mailing within a short time frame like 30 minutes or a couple hours.  Any time someone sends Registered or Express mail, the Post Office will give a paper receipt acknowledging the time it entered the system.  Since the objective is to prevent customers from "hedging" at your expense, your risk is covered by ensuring they mailed their payment.  If they mail the payment late or can't provide proof of timely mailing, you stipulate that when it arrives, you get to decide whether you honor the locked in rate.

I don't remember asking anyone for their opinion on my system. It works, and this is what I will use. This is not a democracy, it is a private trade between 2 parties. I am having no trouble finding customers and I didn't ask for, nor do I need any help figuring out how to trade. Believe it or not some people actually honored my request and PMed me questions that they had, and were satisfied enough to complete multiple transactions. I have provided exceptional service to everyone here I trade with, and have worked hard to earn my level of trust. I don't appreciate a bunch of people showing up to "fix" something that isn't broken.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 04:52:00 AM

I don't remember asking anyone for their opinion on my system. It works, and this is what I will use. This is not a democracy, it is a private trade between 2 parties. I am having no trouble finding customers and I didn't ask for, nor do I need any help figuring out how to trade. Believe it or not some people actually honored my request and PMed me questions that they had, and were satisfied enough to complete multiple transactions. I have provided exceptional service to everyone here I trade with, and have worked hard to earn my level of trust. I don't appreciate a bunch of people showing up to "fix" something that isn't broken.

3.  Have a beer.  Or a valium.

Most people would not have this sort of objection or put as much effort as you did into publicly chastising someone for being helpful (especially item #1, which is help for your customers, not you).  If it's that big a deal, then delete your post and I'll delete each of mine in this thread.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 06:53:31 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 07:57:01 AM by TECSHARE

Most people would not have this sort of objection or put as much effort as you did into publicly chastising someone for being helpful (especially item #1, which is help for your customers, not you).  If it's that big a deal, then delete your post and I'll delete each of mine in this thread.

Normally I wouldn't mind, but this isn't the first time you've been "helpful" to me. I made it pretty clear in the OP I wanted posts here to be minimal to nonexistent, I am not sure why you are shocked. Additionally you have stated you understand my objections and are aware of a reasonable way to correct the situation yet you are still attempting to dictate my actions for me rather than simply correcting the situation. I have no trouble helping my customers, and if they need help they are big boys and girls who can figure it out for themselves if need be.

Definitely not doing date of receipt. That gives you the option of waiting a few days.

I've purchased BTC with cash-in-mail several times on #bitcoin-otc, and it's always MtGox Last @ transaction agreement time.

No it does not. If you get tracking service you will know the day it arrives as I explained in past posts which you did not bother to read. My terms are what I decide because, hey guess what! I have an asset people want so I get to choose.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 12:59:28 PM

Normally I wouldn't mind, but this isn't the first time you've been "helpful" to me. I made it pretty clear in the OP I wanted posts here to be minimal to nonexistent, I am not sure why you are shocked. Additionally you have stated you understand my objections and are aware of a reasonable way to correct the situation yet you are still attempting to dictate my actions for me rather than simply correcting the situation. I have no trouble helping my customers, and if they need help they are big boys and girls who can figure it out for themselves if need be.

4. Prozac then?  What is shocking is that for someone wanting a tidy thread, you sure got a lot to say.  I will fuck off now - no further response from you is needed, ignore.

Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 01:03:27 PM

The way I propose to do it to minimize the chance of cheating is that after the money is received, the seller will lock the price by checking it on mtgox and immediately send a message to the buyer. That way the buyer can verify the price at any time by checking the history and know that the seller is not cheating, because by waiting the price could go either way. It is still possible manipulate the price, but that's mainly a problem for large trades.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 01:27:31 PM

That's fine. My demand wi be going elsewhere, though.

Have a nice day
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 07:23:40 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 08:41:52 PM by TECSHARE

4. Prozac then?  What is shocking is that for someone wanting a tidy thread, you sure got a lot to say.  I will fuck off now - no further response from you is needed, ignore.

Good, then that means I can look forward to you never posting on one of my threads ever again. You'd love to minimize this and say I am complaining because I want a "tidy thread", but in reality the effects of your unwanted help are quite clear and it is nothing more than passive aggressive trolling. You have a life ( I assume ) why don't you go live yours and let me worry about mine.

The way I propose to do it to minimize the chance of cheating is that after the money is received, the seller will lock the price by checking it on mtgox and immediately send a message to the buyer. That way the buyer can verify the price at any time by checking the history and know that the seller is not cheating, because by waiting the price could go either way. It is still possible manipulate the price, but that's mainly a problem for large trades.

This is EXACTLY what I do now, only I don't just send a message I send the Bitcoins right away before the message. Did You read ANY of the thread I wrote?

Have a nice day

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:23:08 AM

Have a nice day

That wasn't neccessary. I gave you an amicable response and ended with an equally friendly valediction.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 12:48:34 AM

Have a nice day

That wasn't neccessary. I gave you an amicable response and ended with an equally friendly valediction.
You never intended to solicit my service and simply came here to crap on my thread and and complain about terms of a service you have no interest in using. Your opinion is of no consequence to me. See your way out of my thread now.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: