Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:20:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin - Magic Computer Money  (Read 10544 times)
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 05:45:46 PM

Regardless off the intention it is obviously viable discussion topic.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 05:57:35 PM

MoreCowbell

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:38:34 PM

I see your creative sarcasm, and raise you a seriously considered slogan:

Engineered Digital Currency

Bitcoin isn't some lame internet fad/scam thing, it's ENGINEERED, and that's why you use it.  This gives mass-adopters an idea (and a feeling) about the design and technology behind bitcoin without making any brains hurt.
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:43:43 PM

that is much less effective than "magic computer money", sorry.

'engineered' makes it sound like it's something very technical. that's not a good way to sell it to people on an emotional level.
paulie_w

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:45:51 PM

attention everyone who has not worked in marketing ever in their lives:

selling an idea or a product is NOT about explaining the technical merits or even being accurate in the descriptions of the product.

what you want to build is an emotional connection and therefore an emotional interest. everything else will fail, even if you intend only to sell it to 'technical' people -- they are not unsusceptible to the basic emotional influences, even if they say they are.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:53:26 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2012, 08:11:44 PM by BCB

paulie_w,

You're onto something.

How do we convey that bitcoin will make our lives,

better
easier
safer
more convenient

etc....
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:11:07 PM

Ira (bearbones) and I were chatting today. We've come up with a new slogan which should be made the official slogan of Bitcoin:

Bitcoin
Magic Computer Money

So the new strategy is that whenever you're introducing Bitcoin to someone, don't try to explain how it works, or why it's so amazing. Just say, "it's magic computer money." 

Also, when users open up the Satoshi desktop client software, there should be a new splash screen that flashes black and yellow real fast for about 5 seconds and it should say "MAGIC COMPUTER MONEY"

Thoughts?

That's essentially how I explained what bitcoin is when I sent a casascius bar to my grandfather as a gift.
"It's magic computer money"
paulie_w

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:15:13 PM

to be honest, i almost feel like you don't have to. remember that you also need a slogan or catchphrase to be succinct and memorable.

really, "magic computer money" says enough: "magic" in this case implies ease-of-use (which encompasses convenience, safety and a kind of superiority).

it should and will evolve later, no doubt, but for now it's enough to sell it this way, and it works by itself.

evoorhees is spot on.
paulie_w

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:16:52 PM

one small tweak:

i would change it to "magic mobile money"

more with the times and still perfectly spot-on, since the 'computer' is rapidly playing second-fiddle to the reality of mobile.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:18:06 PM

I don't think "mobile" is going to age well

magic ____________  money
paulie_w

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:19:51 PM

it doesn't have to age well.

almost no slogan lasts longer than 5-10 years. i would encourage you to look into this yourself.

this is another misunderstanding from people who have not worked in this industry: slogans, catchphrases, logos, and even names change with the times, evolving with the product and its use/intended uses.

for now, "mobile" works. tomorrow, you might as well replace it with "brain".
paulie_w

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

and by the way, i still really like "computer", because it kind of dismisses playfully some of the perceived/true/media-hyped complexities. it IS magic computer money, after all.

my tweak to "mobile" is merely about the present times, and the fact that people are seeing the computer as something somehow less important/relevant than mobile devices (even if they are just computers themselves). it also brings with it a connotation of freedom, of not being tied to a large device, of being global.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:25:26 PM

mMoney
paulie_w

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:27:24 PM

well, this is not 1997 :-) "Bitcoin" is fine as a name.

everyone truly interested in the subject should read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ogilvy-Advertising-David/dp/039472903X/
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:29:48 PM

I'm just thinking

Automobile
Vehicle
Car
Ride
Wheels

It needs a common tag to enter the popular consciousness.

paulie_w

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:34:06 PM

i don't see what any of that has to do with Bitcoin, or why it would need to associate with those things.
paulie_w

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:35:16 PM

Ira (bearbones) and I were chatting today. We've come up with a new slogan which should be made the official slogan of Bitcoin:

Bitcoin
Magic Computer Money

So the new strategy is that whenever you're introducing Bitcoin to someone, don't try to explain how it works, or why it's so amazing. Just say, "it's magic computer money." 

Also, when users open up the Satoshi desktop client software, there should be a new splash screen that flashes black and yellow real fast for about 5 seconds and it should say "MAGIC COMPUTER MONEY"

Thoughts?

That's essentially how I explained what bitcoin is when I sent a casascius bar to my grandfather as a gift.
"It's magic computer money"

gareth, you are in Manhattan right? ask your advertising-industry friends what they think.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:43:31 PM

"I see a whole lotta lawbreakers around here."

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MoreCowbell

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:59:20 PM

that is much less effective than "magic computer money", sorry.

'engineered' makes it sound like it's something very technical. that's not a good way to sell it to people on an emotional level.

That's because bitcoin as a system is very technical, and well thought out.  You don't need to know exactly how your bank is protecting your money, just that they have a good system.

A modern Toyota car is incredibly complex and technical, but people like them because of their reliability and durability.  Consumers like Toyota engineering and they feel safe with their products.  I even hear "German Engineering" as a desirable characteristic from people who can barely open the hood of their car.

Maybe "engineered" isn't exactly the right word to go with, but the slogan needs to set bitcoin apart and offer a high level description at the same time.  People need to know bitcoin isn't some short-sighted nerd-fad so they don't discount it right at the start.  We need people to take it seriously and think that it sounds trustworthy.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 09:25:30 PM

I even hear "German Engineering" as a desirable characteristic from people who can barely open the hood of their car.

LOL. That's me. I literally never ever opened bonnet of my merc since I bought it a few years back. I am totally sold on idea of "German Engineering", whatever it is.

-
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: