Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:50:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HODL, HOARD your cypto GOLD! All Hail the Hoarders!  (Read 4871 times)
axel2078

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:29:34 PM

Hold! Hoard your crypto GOLD!

The correct spelling is "Hold", like in your post.
HODL (currently in the thread title) is what people type when they want to look like a mindless lemming parroting what others say.

As crazy as it may seem, they actually type it that way on purpose because HODL is a very common (and popular for some reason) typo of hold.  Remember, these are the same people that say "This is gentlemen!" which is also grammatically incorrect. (Yes, I know it's a famous quote that was also known for a typo.)

gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:30:15 PM

Obviously to a lot of people bitcoin is just a gimmick to use to make a quick buck through (sorry, a "store of value"). It makes me doubly sure that "a store of value" is all it ever will be.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:05:54 AM

Hold! Hoard your crypto GOLD!

The correct spelling is "Hold", like in your post.
HODL (currently in the thread title) is what people type when they want to look like a mindless lemming parroting what others say.

Not if you are hodling.  Hodling is the super-nuclear-enhanced-reincarnation of the third bastard offspring of the Godzilla's rendering of the HOLD concept. 

You, sir, compare an ox cart ("Hold") to the Startrek warp drive.  ("Hodl")
flipstyle

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:00:33 AM

lol such grandure irony and truth from this thread

The same ones yelling to the heavens 'HODL' (basically ever other thread on here) and hoarding along the way are doing nothing but destroying the value and economy of the very currency they want to 'get rich quick' off of.  Haha.  What a conundrum.  It shows they truly couldn't give a rats ass about the actual technology itself, and will dump and gtfo as soon as there's signs of some quick cash. 

Sad to say, but daily market shorters are pretty much the only thing keeping bitcoin buoyant at this time.  The amount of people spending it daily in real life applications pales in comparison to those holding hoping for a giant payday.  The system has become exactly what Satoshi feared but most likely suspected it would inevitably become: a psychological game of greed.
gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 07:34:24 PM

Yep.
steven.G999

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:26:55 PM

Let the dumb newbs play the game... smart money is in the future... Hodl

would not know well what will happen in the future, hopefully as 2009 and into 2013. and I will hold
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:37:09 PM

lol such grandure irony and truth from this thread

The same ones yelling to the heavens 'HODL' (basically ever other thread on here) and hoarding along the way are doing nothing but destroying the value and economy of the very currency they want to 'get rich quick' off of.  Haha.  What a conundrum.  It shows they truly couldn't give a rats ass about the actual technology itself, and will dump and gtfo as soon as there's signs of some quick cash. 

Sad to say, but daily market shorters are pretty much the only thing keeping bitcoin buoyant at this time.  The amount of people spending it daily in real life applications pales in comparison to those holding hoping for a giant payday.  The system has become exactly what Satoshi feared but most likely suspected it would inevitably become: a psychological game of greed.

This sums it up pretty good.

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
colinistheman

Activity: 875
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:51:43 PM

OP just went full retarded, never go full retarded.
So if you want bitcoin to succeed! just hold your bitcoins! dont spend them around! you may feel sad and bad if the 200$  you spent could be worth 1000$ tomorrow and that you threw them away cheaply!

No, no, NO! As a strong bullish long-term Bitcoin believer, I completely disagree  Angry

Even if you consider your bitcoins as long term investment, rather than spending money - what do you think will help raising the value of your precious bitcoins more:

• 1. Hodling your bitcoins and spending USD, thus only stimulating the USD economy

or

• 2. Spending your bitcoins, thus stimulating the BTC economy, and immediately buying back new bitcoins (on exchange or circle or whatever), thus increasing demand for Bitcoin on the market.

Notice that the end result is the same: you essentially purchased some stuff, lost some USD, and kept your BTC. But with option nr. 2, you're actively helping to raise the Bitcoin price level on two ends: Bitcoin economy AND market demand. I really don't understand why even the most fanatic Bitcoin owners don't seem to get this Undecided

Especially if you're a Bitcoin fan, believer, enthusiast, investor, or hodler, SPEND THEM! (And immediately refill your stash of bitcoins by buying new ones with fiat)

By just sitting on your coins, instead of using them, Bitcoin won't grow! Spend them, and buy back at the same time.

I second that.

But it depends where you spend. If you're spending at a place that instantly converts the bitcoin back into fiat, then you actually didn't help bitcoin much by buying with it. You just got it sold into US dollars and more US dollars used.

So I would recommend 1.) HODLing as the OP says, or 2.) spending at places that hold the bitcoin and don't instantly sell it.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:56:17 PM

Encouraging others to HODL =

I am already overinvested and cannot buy anymore, plz buy up the price for me so that i can unload my bags to you anywhere near my breakeven point!

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1008

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:16:37 PM

Encouraging others to HODL =

I am already overinvested and cannot buy anymore, plz buy up the price for me so that i can unload my bags to you anywhere near my breakeven point!

Haha, that's quite true. I'm a permabull (bitcoin enthusiast) for sure, and not embarrassed to admit it.  However it's also true that encouraging others to SODL = I have already sold and am looking to buy moar lower so please  dump the price.

The price does need to go up in order for it to be more useful in general. There is a lot of wealth in the world and bitcoin needs to be worth orders of magnitude more than it is now in order to be able to be used to account for a portion of it. The price does matter but surviving low prices is what bitcoin has done best so far.

Some will hold, some will sell, some will scream hodl!1!! and others will beat their fingers into nubs that it is dying or already dead. It doesn't matter. Most early adopters (protip-this is still early adoption) won't get overly rich as everyone has their price to sell along with the pressures of their immediate needs and unlimited desires.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:07:59 AM

But it depends where you spend. If you're spending at a place that instantly converts the bitcoin back into fiat, then you actually didn't help bitcoin much by buying with it. You just got it sold into US dollars and more US dollars used.

So I would recommend 1.) HODLing as the OP says, or 2.) spending at places that hold the bitcoin and don't instantly sell it.
I disagree. Even if you spend it at places who convert to EUR or USD, as long as you also buy back the same amount of bitcoins you spend, you're not increasing selling pressure. And you help Bitcoin by increasing volume of Bitcoin consumer sales.

As one of the organizers of Arnhem Bitcoincity, I have spoken quite some merchants who are saying: right now I still convert to euros, because I pay my costs and staff in euros. But I notice how I can spend bitcoins at more and more places. So, I will soon accept bitcoins and keep them, so I can spend them directly, and the whole conversion with euros won't be necessary anymore.

This whole thing with merchants converging to fiat is a migration phase. As soon as there is a significant amount of places where they can spend their bitcoins, they'll get aware of the advantage of Bitcoin - not just accepting them (as a service to their customers or means of getting media exposure) but also for actually using it themselves.

Again: spending bitcoins and buying back the same amount is always better than just hodling your coins and spending fiat. EVEN at places that convert to fiat.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Jace

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:10:26 AM

And one more thing: some people seem to think that the opposite of hodling, is spending. Not true. The opposite of hodling is dumping your coins on the exchange market.

If you spend bitcoins (as in, actually use them) and buy back the same amount right away, you're essentially still hodling AND promoting / stimulating Bitcoin at the same time.

The more you use Bitcoin, the more recognition it will get, and the bigger this thing will become. Sitting silently on your stash is not helping Bitcoin the slightest bit.

wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:16:39 AM

If everyone is hoarding then whats the point of the damn thing. Its just a speculative instrument and nothing else.

why spend Bitcoin now when it will be worth $10,000 per coin in a few years?

no one knows how you can say that ? and its risk little more then any other currency when japan got tusami still its currency value did not drop 80% as i said it risk more then any other currency its up to you if you wanna hold then hold

Jace

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 11:15:50 AM

Because by spending Bitcoin now (and buying back the same amount of coins right away), you actually help Bitcoin growing, thus actively helping the price level going to $10K.

cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 02:03:08 PM

Because by spending Bitcoin now (and buying back the same amount of coins right away), you actually help Bitcoin growing, thus actively helping the price level going to $10K.

for that u need to have a lot of money
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3258

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 04:08:57 PM

for that u need to have a lot of money

No you don't. When you buy something, use Bitcoin instead of cash, credit card, or debit card. Then use the money you didn't spend to buy more bitcoins.

You will always have the same amount of bitcoins, so you are still holding/hoarding/hodling, and you using bitcoins and pushing up the value.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 04:23:34 PM

If everyone is hoarding then whats the point of the damn thing.
The point, my dear smallfolk friend, is patience.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3258

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 04:30:26 PM

Unfortunately, hoarding is a game of chicken. If everyone hoards, then the price will crash when they finally sell and the patient people will lose everything.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
rax

Activity: 86
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 04:37:24 PM

Unfortunately, hoarding is a game of chicken. If everyone hoards, then the price will crash when they finally sell and the patient people will lose everything.

Be it as it may, bitcoin price can only rise if there is demand for the coin. And demand means hoarding.
drbrock

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

New to BTC not new to the Empire of Chaos

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 05:10:34 PM

So if you want bitcoin to succeed! just hold your bitcoins! dont spend them around! you may feel sad and bad if the 200$  you spent could be worth 1000$ tomorrow and that you threw them away cheaply!

No, no, NO! As a strong bullish long-term Bitcoin believer, I completely disagree  Angry

Even if you consider your bitcoins as long term investment, rather than spending money - what do you think will help raising the value of your precious bitcoins more:

• 1. Hodling your bitcoins and spending USD, thus only stimulating the USD economy

or

• 2. Spending your bitcoins, thus stimulating the BTC economy, and immediately buying back new bitcoins (on exchange or circle or whatever), thus increasing demand for Bitcoin on the market.

Notice that the end result is the same: you essentially purchased some stuff, lost some USD, and kept your BTC. But with option nr. 2, you're actively helping to raise the Bitcoin price level on two ends: Bitcoin economy AND market demand. I really don't understand why even the most fanatic Bitcoin owners don't seem to get this Undecided

Especially if you're a Bitcoin fan, believer, enthusiast, investor, or hodler, SPEND THEM! (And immediately refill your stash of bitcoins by buying new ones with fiat)

By just sitting on your coins, instead of using them, Bitcoin won't grow! Spend them, and buy back at the same time.

I got to be rich to do that..buy an xbox with usd for 300$ or else buy with btc for 600$(to buy equal btc again)
I guess you are really bad at math. So, I give you an example.
Let's assume you bought 10 BTC for USD 1000 each last year.

Now, you want to buy an Xbox.
Scenario 1:
You buy it with fiat.
You spend 300 USD.
(-10.000)+(-300)=-10.300 [USD]
10 = 10 BTC

Scenario 2:
You buy with BTC and replenish. Assume 1 BTC=300 USD
(-10.000)+(-300)=-10.300 [USD]
10-1+1=10 BTC

Have you lost any money in Scenario 2? No
But you have stimulated BTC-economy.
Have you put selling pressure on the BTC-market? No. The merchant has sold 1 BTC, but you have bought 1 BTC, which nullifies:
(-1)+1=0

WHAT?Huh This makes no sense to me. Assume BTC was 10.000 and is now 300?Huh what?

If you buy an Xbox for 300 USD then you are down 300
If you buy an Xbox with 1BTC (worth 300 USD) and then buy 1BTC (at 300USD) then you are down 600.

FUCKING IDIOT

████████████
A  S  K   C O I N        Plug&Play Exchange Integrated with Twitter !
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: