Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:49:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HODL, HOARD your cypto GOLD! All Hail the Hoarders!  (Read 4871 times)
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 03:41:09 AM

Bitcoin has lost more than 80% of its  value this year! A lot of investors are worried about their losses, some has given up and some are confident of a great future and returns , with how bitcoin can change their lives..

Today I came across this Nakamoto institute article and I want to share my views and add to it..

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/im-hoarding-bitcoins-and-no-you-cant-have-any/

Who gained and who lost during these times?

Bitcoin comes under Distributed capitalism, which means we all have a role to play in bitcoin's success,

but a lot of people figure it very wrongly that bitcoin success depends on people actively spending all their bitcoin, buying them and then actively spend it all away , spread the word so that people come into the bitcoin world and bitcoin succeds as currency...

But it seems this model does not work for bitcoin to go mainstream

bitcoin related companies had huge venture capital investment, merchant adoption and news stories running everyday, but they all simply failed to help bitcoin even sustain the price and only contributed to bitcoin losing more than 80% of its value.

bitcoin only gained 1000x when these were not there!

What is really success for bitcoin?

An ideal success for bitcoin will be something around a million dollars per bitcoin, where the market cap is in trillions so that bitcoin will compete with petro dollar and become of use in high volume Forex trading..This is ideal success..

but we will never reach there with spending bitcoins but only by hodling or hoarding bitcoins..

who are those who promote spending and why you should ignore them?

They are mostly these merchant service processing companies and their clients and centralized bitcoin banks who like to see daily volume so that they make lot of money by cutting a part of your payment, getting bitcoins from you and then selling it for dollars. by this they are creating  a selling pressure and thereby constantly make bitcoin price go down..it is clear they dont give a shit about bitcoin, or else why would they sell it for dollars, if they don't have the confidence..

Their companies are valued in millions and they are millionaires and they only will care about the growth of their company's market cap and not bitcoins market cap.

How do these people influence your mind?

These people have received millions of dollars to make people spend bitcoins, therefore they do all sorts of psychological manipulation to make you spend bitcoins..they make you feel bad if you hodl your bitcoin without spending by telling you that you are greedy, selfish, and that hodling bitcoin is bad if you do so..

after some years their companies will be valued in billions, they will become billionaires! but bitcoin will be caught in a price of 200-300$ forever and your life does not change!

But How does Hoarding bitcoins make it go to moon?

Yes! when a lot of people decide not to spend bitcoins the selling pressure goes down and bitcoin price will rise to moon and with any commodity that increases in price when it is hoarded!

bitcoin is often compared to internet early stage! now think how did dot com bubble happen and trillions were poured into internet? becuase people believed their investment would make them millionaires! that is what made internet a success!

similar trend is also seen in bitcoin! lot of interest in bitcoin whenever the price is increasing and no interest when the price is decreasing..
The google trend for bitcoin is an excellent proof of this phenomenon.

So if you want bitcoin to succeed! just hold your bitcoins! dont spend them around! you may feel sad and bad if the 200$  you spent could be worth 1000$ tomorrow and that you threw them away cheaply!

Hold! Hoard your crypto GOLD!

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 04:54:49 AM

I was one of the silly newbs that bought in late 2013 near the ATH. Despite the constant price dropping, I've been buying every paycheck for over a year now and hodling as much as I can. The amount of support, infrastructure and validation from companies like Overstock and Microsoft out-weighs the price performance. I've lost some to trading and gambling, but for the most I have just been building up a stash. It's only a matter of time before demand goes up again. The occasional visit to the bitoinrichlist.com is a good reminder that there aren't even 250k addresses with >1 BTC. We all know everyone has more than one address, so it would be safe to believe there are much less than 250,000 people with >1 BTC. Sure some people could have 0.3 on four different addresses but I think it's more likely that people who split their balance up among multiple addresses have larger holdings.

Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 06:43:09 AM

In reality that could never happen and yes, hoarding does reduce supply in the market and will inadvertently brings up value of the coin. More over this would reduce the volatility we're seeing right now because everybody wants to hold on to the coins hoping that one day they will be able to sell at higher value. Again, this is the ideal scenario we want to see but despite all that, it will never happen because the community will never reach a consensus. People are more focused on quick selling and buying for short term gains.

mercistheman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:32:42 AM

Let the dumb newbs play the game... smart money is in the future... Hodl
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:18:00 AM

So if you want bitcoin to succeed! just hold your bitcoins! dont spend them around! you may feel sad and bad if the 200$  you spent could be worth 1000$ tomorrow and that you threw them away cheaply!

No, no, NO! As a strong bullish long-term Bitcoin believer, I completely disagree  Angry

Even if you consider your bitcoins as long term investment, rather than spending money - what do you think will help raising the value of your precious bitcoins more:

• 1. Hodling your bitcoins and spending USD, thus only stimulating the USD economy

or

• 2. Spending your bitcoins, thus stimulating the BTC economy, and immediately buying back new bitcoins (on exchange or circle or whatever), thus increasing demand for Bitcoin on the market.

Notice that the end result is the same: you essentially purchased some stuff, lost some USD, and kept your BTC. But with option nr. 2, you're actively helping to raise the Bitcoin price level on two ends: Bitcoin economy AND market demand. I really don't understand why even the most fanatic Bitcoin owners don't seem to get this Undecided

Especially if you're a Bitcoin fan, believer, enthusiast, investor, or hodler, SPEND THEM! (And immediately refill your stash of bitcoins by buying new ones with fiat)

By just sitting on your coins, instead of using them, Bitcoin won't grow! Spend them, and buy back at the same time.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:50:27 AM

If everyone is hoarding then whats the point of the damn thing. Its just a speculative instrument and nothing else.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:01:15 AM

OP just went full retarded, never go full retarded.

No, no, NO! As a strong bullish long-term Bitcoin believer, I completely disagree  Angry

Even if you consider your bitcoins as long term investment, rather than spending money - what do you think will help raising the value of your precious bitcoins more:

• 1. Hodling your bitcoins and spending USD, thus only stimulating the USD economy

or

• 2. Spending your bitcoins, thus stimulating the BTC economy, and immediately buying back new bitcoins (on exchange or circle or whatever), thus increasing demand for Bitcoin on the market.

Notice that the end result is the same: you essentially purchased some stuff, lost some USD, and kept your BTC. But with option nr. 2, you're actively helping to raise the Bitcoin price level on two ends: Bitcoin economy AND market demand. I really don't understand why even the most fanatic Bitcoin owners don't seem to get this Undecided

Especially if you're a Bitcoin fan, believer, enthusiast, investor, or hodler, SPEND THEM! (And immediately refill your stash of bitcoins by buying new ones with fiat)

By just sitting on your coins, instead of using them, Bitcoin won't grow! Spend them, and buy back at the same time.

I second that.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
cuddaloreappu (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:07:00 AM

or

I got to be rich to do that..buy an xbox with usd for 300$ or else buy with btc for 600$(to buy equal btc again)
cuddaloreappu (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:08:07 AM

If everyone is hoarding then whats the point of the damn thing. Its just a speculative instrument and nothing else.

spend only when it gained a lot of value
gambit1

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:23:05 AM

"spend only when it gained a lot of value"

On what? There won't be any kind of bitcoin economy. Investors and entrepreneurs would have to be mad to do anything productive with bitcoin with people like you running the show.
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:37:48 AM

Bitcoin is a convenient way to transfer money, if every one hoard their coins , the value of bitcoin is gone.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:23:12 AM

only hoarding would be a bad idea. if you want to help btc, you should spent it.

and you can save and spent BTC at the same time.  Roll Eyes

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 11:36:46 AM

This is an old article I read long time ago. A lot has happened since the article was originally written...

zanza

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 01:21:35 PM

why spend Bitcoin now when it will be worth $10,000 per coin in a few years?
gambit1

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 01:26:24 PM

Why will it be worth $10k in a few years? Especially if nobody is actually using it for anything?
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 01:36:20 PM

or

I got to be rich to do that..buy an xbox with usd for 300$ or else buy with btc for 600$(to buy equal btc again)
I guess you are really bad at math. So, I give you an example.
Let's assume you bought 10 BTC for USD 1000 each last year.

Now, you want to buy an Xbox.
Scenario 1:
You buy it with fiat.
You spend 300 USD.
(-10.000)+(-300)=-10.300 [USD]
10 = 10 BTC

Scenario 2:
You buy with BTC and replenish. Assume 1 BTC=300 USD
(-10.000)+(-300)=-10.300 [USD]
10-1+1=10 BTC

Have you lost any money in Scenario 2? No
But you have stimulated BTC-economy.
Have you put selling pressure on the BTC-market? No. The merchant has sold 1 BTC, but you have bought 1 BTC, which nullifies:
(-1)+1=0

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
gambit1

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 01:55:05 PM

This is the mentality that will stunt this concept, unfortunately. Good on all of those people who spend a couple now and then. You've got your work cut out for you trying to get an economy going.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 01:59:10 PM

Hoarding and holding too much is against the concept of bitcoin as a "currency". It may increase it's value, yes, but without some bitcoins rotating around the economy, who would want to use it in the first place? A small number of coins rotating might increase the price, but it also slows down the adoption rate, which is another factor towards bitcoin's success.
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 02:28:31 PM

Hoarding and holding too much is against the concept of bitcoin as a "currency". It may increase it's value, yes, but without some bitcoins rotating around the economy, who would want to use it in the first place? A small number of coins rotating might increase the price, but it also slows down the adoption rate, which is another factor towards bitcoin's success.

But that's the thing, BTC is not just a currency. Therefore, thinking of it as something more valuable than a normal currency is pretty reasonable.
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1044
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

I have faith in the future. Bitcoin is still in its infancy. Big things await.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: