Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:38:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did precursors to Bitcoin Fail?  (Read 1720 times)
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 06:39:41 AM

So Bitcoin solved the Byzantine general problem. Everyone is working on the next hash, the first to find it gets to draft the next master ledger which is then shared with all, the longest chain always wins......... or something like that

So I am confused..... what truly differentiated Bitcoin from its precursors: "eCash", "Nanobarter", "BitGold" & "BitGold-Markets" yada yada

Were these precursors simply ideas on paper and Bitcoin was the first real open source coded attempt? Were prior efforts not decentralized?Huh Is that really all it comes down to?

What specific piece did Satoshi add to the mix that created the technological tour de force that became Bitcoin?  Or was it simply adoption? Bitcoin was adopted by millions the others were not?Huh?

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 07:37:31 AM

Bitcoin would of been had it's plugged pulled long ago by the authorities if it were centralised like your previous examples.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:11:43 AM

So Bitcoin solved the Byzantine general problem...

It didn't. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934626.0

Satoshi implied that price of 1 BTC will be raising all the way to the moon. This made Bitcoin popular.
Jeff Chang

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:53:02 AM

Likely decentralization, but wasn't the double spend an issue with the others and bitcoin solved that? I could be wrong about that though.
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:58:42 AM

I thought all the precursors were centralized and the authorities pulled the plug on at least one of them. Bitcoin is the first decentralized solution that the authorities cannot pull the plug on.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:10:06 AM

Likely decentralization, but wasn't the double spend an issue with the others and bitcoin solved that? I could be wrong about that though.

This. The others had a big target on their backs and could be taken down. And were.

Why did Napster fail while Bittorrent has not?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 12:10:18 PM

As we all know, BTC doesn't have any fixed value, and it isn't related to anything with a fixed value. This could be the difference, though in my mind, there never were anything comparable to BTC.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 01:42:02 AM

Pretty disappointing answers frankly......

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 01:54:13 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Generals%27_Problem

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
validium

Activity: 350

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:16:03 AM

Why bitcoin succeeded:

1. Decentralized

2. Open source code

3. Strong community support

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 10:55:53 AM

1. Decentralized
Although its true, there is still people that thinks that its bad since no one can "protect" the market value of bitcoin.
It atracts the attention of diferent people when compared to centralized solutions.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:42:13 PM

So Bitcoin solved the Byzantine general problem...

It didn't. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934626.0

Satoshi implied that price of 1 BTC will be raising all the way to the moon. This made Bitcoin popular.
Didn't?
I read every newspaper say it solved this problem.
noma

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 01:43:30 PM

Probably its the idea of being decentralized. It was also definitely much better and flexible than any of the precursors.

▓▓▓▓    New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange             → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓    Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 02:46:53 PM

1. Decentralized
Although its true, there is still people that thinks that its bad since no one can "protect" the market value of bitcoin.
It atracts the attention of diferent people when compared to centralized solutions.
Decentralization is the future, might as well deal with it. The next step is decentralizing the internet itself.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:09:03 PM

Well, those things weren't decentralized. They were merely vehicles build atop of another commodity (USD/Gold/etc.) Bitcoin on the other hand isn't controller by a single authority and can't be shut off or go bankrupt itself. It's just not possible. There was no incentive for people to buy the precursors, with Bitcoin people anticipate the price going up. Also, Bitcoin is open, everyone can go and create their own services, it invites people to participate, to mine, and to experience using Bitcoin.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:13:28 PM

Well, those things weren't decentralized. ...

That's what I was going to say. There really are no precursors of bitcoin. The examples you gave were attempts to make traditional systems work in a digital environment. Bitcoin is a digital native, and when combined with the lack of central authority it is truly different. It is a revolutionary development in the evolution of money.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 04:28:05 PM

That's what I was going to say. There really are no precursors of bitcoin. The examples you gave were attempts to make traditional systems work in a digital environment. Bitcoin is a digital native, and when combined with the lack of central authority it is truly different. It is a revolutionary development in the evolution of money.

This implies that the technology itself was not that important but rather the implementation and momentum.

Makes Bitcoin seem more fad than revolution with that narrative. For me I would rather hear that Bitcoin implemented something in the algorithm that was truly unique and revolutionary that until that point represented a fatal flaw that would not allow the distributed momentum to ever take hold.

Klestin

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 04:30:24 PM

Pretty disappointing answers frankly......

Then you're not reading.

This. The others had a big target on their backs and could be taken down. And were.

Why did Napster fail while Bittorrent has not?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 04:38:20 PM

This implies that the technology itself was not that important but rather the implementation and momentum.

Makes Bitcoin seem more fad than revolution with that narrative. For me I would rather hear that Bitcoin implemented something in the algorithm that was truly unique and revolutionary that until that point represented a fatal flaw that would not allow the distributed momentum to ever take hold.
I would say that the protocol is brilliant, but does not include much revolutionary code. Except for perhaps the blockchain, It is more of a revolutionary system. As long as it is the fastest, safest, and cheapest way to send money it is not going anywhere.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 10:13:53 PM

I would say that the protocol is brilliant, but does not include much revolutionary code. Except for perhaps the blockchain, It is more of a revolutionary system. As long as it is the fastest, safest, and cheapest way to send money it is not going anywhere.

the credit cards are the cheapest way and the "safest". BTC propaganda is spreading a lot of lies regarding to this thing. BTC is not free and not safe. a lot of hackings, a lot of problems. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: